Gaming without a Desk

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
We are moving into our first home in two weeks and I am starting to really plan my office/den. I am trying to fit a few hobbies in the room and I am trying to explore all my options.

One of the biggest users of space in my office is my desk and office chair. So I am wondering if there is a way to PC game without a desk? I only play shooters.

I was thinking of just getting a love seat or a few chairs, a coffee table, and wall mounting an LCD and running the PC to it.

So does anyone here game (FPS) without a desk? If so, do you use a gamepad or a mouse/keyboard and just hunch over table? Or maybe find a side table tall enough to keep me from destroying your (or my) back...

Jesusthewererabbit

Mar 20, 2008
I lay on my bed. Use a wireless keyboard and mouse, with my computer hooked up to a 32" LCD TV. Haven't used a desk for years, and probably never will again.

Udgnim

Diamond Member
Apr 16, 2008
I sometimes hook up my PC to the TV. end up sitting indian style on the carpet with keyboard in my lap and some box to elevate mousepad & mouse. for whatever reason, my mousing becomes sluggish and I can't aim worth a damn. not sure if it's due to larger screen space or just poor ergonomics of setup.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
I was just going to post a similar thread - I'm looking for the best way to game on a couch with a keyboard/mouse...I will have to check back and see what you all come up with. :)

DanDaManJC

Oct 31, 2004
yeah i've been wondering about this too... it's kinda clunky to put a mouse and kb on your lap... something controllers are nice for is that you can easily relax on a couch while you game

that said, i think maybe a mini table placed on a couch for the mouse and kb. almost like one of those dinner stands you use to watch tv and place your plate right in front of you

Grimbones

Jun 12, 2004
We are moving into our first home in two weeks and I am starting to really plan my office/den. I am trying to fit a few hobbies in the room and I am trying to explore all my options.

One of the biggest users of space in my office is my desk and office chair. So I am wondering if there is a way to PC game without a desk? I only play shooters.

I was thinking of just getting a love seat or a few chairs, a coffee table, and wall mounting an LCD and running the PC to it.

So does anyone here game (FPS) without a desk? If so, do you use a gamepad or a mouse/keyboard and just hunch over table? Or maybe find a side table tall enough to keep me from destroying your (or my) back...

I use one of those cheap, rickety foldout card tables. It works pretty well actually.

dmw16

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
Thanks for the input everyone. I think I will start by exploring various small tables. My only requirement is that the end result doesn't look crappy.

To a previous poster about sluggish input; I'd guess that would be caused by the distance between the wireless mouse and the receiver. I've noticed in general performance degrades with distance.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Sep 7, 2009
Ikea has a couple of lap desks (they stand on the floor though) designed for use with a couch. I bet one of those would work well

Rhoxed

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2007
i have a wireless microsoft keyboard with leg-grooves (wraps around, so it doesnt slide) was pretty expensive, but it lights up in the dark too.

http://www.buy.com/prod/microsoft-wi...204026007.html

it works very well, as far as seating, i sit in a lazy-boy and use a cloth mousepad on the arm of the chair. - i still use a desk for competative gaming (SC2)

Mike Gayner

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2007
Personally my desk is the centrepiece of my room - but it's more of an office-type room than a hobby-type room. I've always wanted a nice comfy man-chair retro-fitted with a small attachment on either armpiece to comfortably fit a keyboard and mouse. One day I will build such a device.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
There are lift-top coffee tables with tops which lift up and forward to act as a desk, like this. I use one similar to that with my HTPC setup.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
My back would hurt a lot when I gamed without a desk on my bed for 3 week during winter break.