Gaming PC Build. Peer Review Please!

octaz

Oct 22, 2012
Hello

I've been looking forward to getting back to PC gaming for a while now and the stars seem to be aligning. It's getting cold out, battlefield 4 is coming out, and i have money throw out (hooray for money!)

In any case, I'd like to hear what you guys think about the build i've scrapped together. Essentially, it's Mfenn's most recent build but replaced with a Nvidia graphics card. I did this because i heard that NVIDIA is better designed for stereoscopic graphics, and I will eventually be getting the oculus rift so I'd like it to look and run well.

Other general notes: It's my first build, I don't plan on overclocking, and maybe I'd upgrade in the future but that's not a priority. What is a priority is durability, which includes power and cooling. I'm not even an apprentice in pc building and that's why I'm basing it on Mfenn's build, so please let me know if i'm gonna be running hot or underpowered and jeopardizing my valuable investment.

Will this include everything that is needed for the computer? (will it have all the cables, thermal paste, fans, etc?). This may be stupid but I don't need a networking card, correct? (That was like in the early 2000's but it's been awhile).

Lastly, will the onboard sound card be able to handle one of those fancy surround sound headphones (like the ones with 8 channels?) If there is a mobo out there that can support that and isn't too much more expensive (and isn't gonna create a major headache for building with compatible components) i would upgrade, but it's not enough of a priority to change up my whole build.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/octaz/saved/2xEL
CPU Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Combo or $239.99
Motherboard ASRock Z87 Pro3 ATX LGA1150 Combo or $104.99
Memory Team Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 $68.98
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" SSD $174.99
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM $59.98
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB $334.99
Case Corsair 300R ATX Mid Tower $59.99
Power Supply Rosewill 750W ATX12V / EPS12V $59.99
Optical Drive Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer $14.98
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)

and to answer the other questions:

1. What YOUR PC will be used for. That means what types of tasks you'll be performing.
-GAMING! Battlefield 4, ideally gameplay recording and livestreaming, eventually oculus rift VR gameplay

2. What YOUR budget is. A price range is acceptable as long as it's not more than a 20% spread

$1300 +- $200

3. What country YOU will be buying YOUR parts from.

USA

5. IF YOU have a brand preference. That means, are you an Intel-Fanboy, AMD-Fanboy, ATI-Fanboy, nVidia-Fanboy,Seagate-Fanboy, WD-Fanboy, etc.

No preference. However, I had heard that NVIDIA will be better for Oculus Rift as it’s designed for strereoscopic graphics rendering. and by heard i mean read once randomly online. Anybody know is there is any truth to this?

6. If YOU intend on using any of YOUR current parts, and if so, what those parts are.
nope

7. IF YOU plan on overclocking or run the system at default speeds.

no, I’d like to leave everything as is

8. What resolution, not monitor size, will you be using?

looks like the monitor i’m ordering is 1920x1080

9. WHEN do you plan to build it?
Note that it is usually not cost or time effective to choose your build more than a month before you actually plan to be using it.

Honestly, once i get a few feed back responses i plan on ordering asap as some of these deals appear to be ending tomorrow...

X. Do you need to purchase any software to go with the system, such as Windows or Blu Ray playback software?

windows 7 home edition

Thanks for all the advice guys.

RayTheKing

Jul 16, 2013
Any reason why you're picking a NV GPU? BF4 may implement Mantle, which will give AMD cards a big boost in performance. Even without Mantle, HD 7970 still performs a good bit better than a 670 in most games, and has more VRAM (If you ever want to upgrade your monitor or play Skyrim with mods :p).
MSI HD 7970 Twin Frozr III is dirt cheap right now: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127732

RayTheKing

Jul 16, 2013

octaz

Oct 22, 2012
Any reason why you're picking a NV GPU?

Only reason is that I heard that nvidia is better for stereoscopic (aka oculus rift, virtual reality, whatever you wanna call it).

I have no idea if it's true, however. I tried to research it myself and read on Nvidia's website it's designed for it, but it's their website and they didn't give any real specifics other then throwin around the word stereoscopic.

RayTheKing

Jul 16, 2013
Only reason is that I heard that nvidia is better for stereoscopic (aka oculus rift, virtual reality, whatever you wanna call it).

I have no idea if it's true, however. I tried to research it myself and read on Nvidia's website it's designed for it, but it's their website and they didn't give any real specifics other then throwin around the word stereoscopic.

I think that's for 3D media.

RayTheKing

Jul 16, 2013
If you do decide on getting a Nvidia card, I think you should get a 7xx card like a 760 or a 770.

Bubbleawsome

Diamond Member
Apr 14, 2013
If you have to go nvidia (I don't recommend with mantle) I would wait for the coming price drops and get a 770/760, not a 670. If you could be convinced to get an amd card I would wait for the r9 280x. It's a current 7970ghz with a $299 price tag.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com

AMD supports the Oculus Rift just fine, that's not a reason to get Nvidia IMHO. Also, as Ray pointed out, it's likely that AMD cards will perform better in BF4 anyway due to Mantle support.