Gaming mousepads..any that don't wear off coating?

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
I've prob spend over a $100 last couple years on mousepads just to have them wear off within a few months. Anyone know of a mousepad that is sturdy, has smooth surface on one side and rough for traction on the other that has no "spray on coating" to it?

I've read some have this, but are like $30+ each, i would be willing to spend that if it lasts a long time.

This POS Razer Vespula was worse mousepad i thin world fyi :/

newegg links, amazon, etc links welcome :D

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for, but this is the best gaming surface I've ever used and the surface isn't ever going to wear off with normal use (a lot of use, or "heavy" use included -- as long as you use it as a mouse pad and not for anything out of the ordinary, you'll be good for a LONG time). FWIW, I use mine with a RAT M.M.O. 7 and a Logitech G9 Laser and tracking, etc. is perfect on both.

Canbacon

Dec 24, 2007
I've prob spend over a $100 last couple years on mousepads just to have them wear off within a few months. Anyone know of a mousepad that is sturdy, has smooth surface on one side and rough for traction on the other that has no "spray on coating" to it?

I've read some have this, but are like $30+ each, i would be willing to spend that if it lasts a long time.

I still rock one of Func 1030's. I tried different mouse pads, but I always come back to this one, it has some crazy coating that never gets rubbed off and makes it glide. I think there are some other people on the forums that use it too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...n=&s=&v=glance

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
I have a Razer Destructor pad and been really happy with it, the shape is a little odd but I really like the surfaces, I don't know if it would be 'smooth' enough for you, it definitely has a noticeable texture to it.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I use a hybrid surface. Basically plastic impregnated cloth. Many companies make them.

The one I use is from xtracpads it still looks brand new after a year and a half of daily use (8 hours or more each).

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I had a Steelseries mousepad from BlizzCon and it worked fine. I recently swapped to a similar one with a Diablo III logo on it.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
Have you considered trying a Trackball instead? There is a steep learning curve in switching, but once you overcome that, you will find a lot more control and you will never ever worry about wearing out your mouse pad again.

Not sure why more gamers don't adopt the trackball. I simply will never go back to a mouse. And it actually prevents the development of Carpel Tunnel syndrome.

M0oG0oGaiPan

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2000
digitalgamedeals.com
Love my steelseries pad but it's starting too look pretty gross. It's so big I use it to hold my drinks :p. I heard they have a large cloth one at big lots that's pretty cheap.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Just use silicone spray on your desk and the mouse contacts. I have not used a "mouse pad" in over a decade.

ixelion

Feb 5, 2005

I had the Vespula as well and it was terrible, no glide at all very rough, too much resistance. I went back to my Exactmat, the speed side did wear down to the point where it was useless but the control side is still good and glides fairly smoothly, and this is with more than a years worth of use.

Be weary of reviews from people who have owned the product for a short time, usually you need months to really test the durability of a mouse pad.

I have heard the Scarab does wear down after a while, but if some one who has owned it for at least a year can comment, that would be great.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000

I have been using a Vespula for quite some time and it works great for me. Nothing seems to have worn off on it. In fact, I have cleaned it a few times scrubbing it pretty hard to get out dirt on the "rough" side with no ill effects.

Your mileage will vary I suppose.

-KeithP

Dkcode

May 1, 2005
I had an Icemat Siberia for several years and fancied a change. I decided I wanted to try cloth and looked at all the mainstream options, I kinda over researched a little and come to the conclusion that they were all flawed in some way, be it performance or durability.

I started looking into the obscure brands and found one from Japan that caught my eye called the Artisan Hien from a Japanese custom PC retailer called Grow Up Japan. You can find reviews of the pad on Youtube and I believe Amazon.com sell them (I am from UK so ordered directly from Japan, took them about a week to deliver). I opted for the medium resistance material, they do all types of surface. The material itself is a little bit like a wetsuit but slightly rougher, the mouse glides really smoothly but there is just a hint of friction for more control. The quality is second to none, I have had it a year and its not worn one bit.

www.gup.co.jp was the URL I purchased from but its not working so I don't know what has happened. Artisan do have a Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/artisanjp

Luckily they sent me another mouse pad a month later by mistake, so I have a spare when this finally wares :)

Edit: Found their webpage: http://www.artisan-jp.com/

Last edited:

modestninja

Jul 17, 2003
Have you considered trying a Trackball instead? There is a steep learning curve in switching, but once you overcome that, you will find a lot more control and you will never ever worry about wearing out your mouse pad again.

Not sure why more gamers don't adopt the trackball. I simply will never go back to a mouse. And it actually prevents the development of Carpel Tunnel syndrome.

Because it doesn't work as well as a standard mouse in twitch games (like FPSs).

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
I have heard the Scarab does wear down after a while, but if some one who has owned it for at least a year can comment, that would be great.

See my comment above. The scarab is awesome. I ordered a second in case my original ever dies on me, but it's not showing any signs of heading there yet, and the reviews online generally agree.

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
I have a Razer Goliathus mousepad and it actually works pretty well. Very happy with it.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
I use an Xtrac pad also, which is a soft low surface flexible pad with a cloth surface on one side. Beats all hard mousepads I've used over the past 15 years easily, and it's long as hell (24") so it keeps my keyboard solidly in place along with giving me a mouse surface.

The edges do fray a little bit from my forearm rubbing across it, and there is a small hole in a corner (smoking mishap), but overall it's been well worth the $15.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
Only because your twitch reaction is to move your hand and not your mouse.

this.

I have found my fine control and reaction times are 10 times better with a trackball than with a mouse. And you never ever have to worry where the edge of the mouse pad is. Plus it builds dexterous fingers which the ladies like quite a bit.

Last edited:

ixelion

Feb 5, 2005
See my comment above. The scarab is awesome. I ordered a second in case my original ever dies on me, but it's not showing any signs of heading there yet, and the reviews online generally agree.

I stand corrected, durability seems very good, I am wondering if it would be any smoother/faster than an Exactmat as I am really tempted :p

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
I stand corrected, durability seems very good, I am wondering if it would be any smoother/faster than an Exactmat as I am really tempted :p

Not sure as I've never used an Exactmat, but the Scarab has a slight texture to the top of it (it's designed to have thousands of tiny refractory surfaces to better track the mouse's laser(s)), and the surface is FAST. I've added weight to both of my mice to account for the surface's speed (which is a good thing imo). At $30 shipped from Amazon (assuming Prime), and with Amazon's awesome return policy, you should give it a try. I really can't recommend it highly enough. I'm not a huge fan of Razer in general, but the Scarab is just a fantastic product for gaming and everyday use. Even down to the packaging and the included carrying case (which sounds ridiculous but comes in really handy for those rare times when I take it with me).

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
this.

I have found my fine control and reaction times are 10 times better with a trackball than with a mouse. And you never ever have to worry where the edge of the mouse pad is. Plus it builds dexterous fingers which the ladies like quite a bit.

Which trackball would you recommend? I've never experienced one before so it would be a change.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
Which trackball would you recommend? I've never experienced one before so it would be a change.

Logitech M570 910-001799 Black 1 x Wheel USB RF Wireless Laser Trackball, can be found on Newegg.

Just a warning. The learning curve is brutal for the first couple of hours/days. After that, you will swear by it. The good thing is, you can go back to the mouse. You just won't want too.