Gaming Mice Suggestions

ChAoTiCpInOy

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
Looking for a new mouse to play some games. I've been looking at the G9x but it doesn't look like it goes on sale often. Mac OS support and being a Logitech mice is a plus but not required. I mostly play Dota and BF3 if that makes a difference. I really don't know 100% what I'm supposed to be looking for in a mouse so recommendations and some teaching would be awesome.

Moved from PC Gaming

Anandtech Moderator
KeithTalent

Last edited by a moderator:

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
My main concerns are button count and differentiation. More buttons are generally better - more actions in easy reach. But differentiation is very important - you need to be able to be sure you have the right button by feel alone.

I used to use a logitech MX-1000 - best mouse I ever used. The G900 that replaced it when it gave out has more buttons - but the side buttons are a 2x2 block of identically shaped buttons, meaning it's real hard to tell one from the other. The three top buttons are impractically small and hard to reach. Net result is that it has far fewer useful buttons then the old MX1000 did.

I4AT

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2006
I think the new Cooler Master Storm mice are the best bang for your buck mice on the market. You've got the entry level Xornet (2000dpi) and the higher end Spawn (3500dpi). I've seen both mice go as low as $15AR during a few sales.

They share the same design but the Spawn has a slightly better sensor and one more button is programmable. Build quality wise they're solid, I own the Xornet, and they both use Omron microswitches rated to 5 million clicks. I'm familiar with Omron from the arcade stick scene, Japanese made switches used in high end arcade parts, definitely quality stuff.

They're also pretty well supported by Cooler Master, each mouse has a number of different firmware updates available that tweaks settings such as lift off distance, max perfect control speed, and performance on light or dark mouse pads to better suit different people's needs. Their forums feature a lot of feedback and tests run by the community that critique these mice in ways I never even knew existed before I started looking into buying one.

I think unless you have goliath hands (cause they're a bit smaller than most other mice), for what you get for the money, especially when on sale, these mice are a no brainer. I had 2 Razer mice before buying this one and I definitely won't be going Razer again. The scroll wheel on my Diamondback 3g failed within a few months, their prices and the amount of products they're putting out are going up, while quality is going down.

I've actually seen 3 mice from 3 different companies (not all mine) with scroll wheels that developed the same problem where you try to scroll down and it goes down then back up a bit. Kind of weird.

Last edited:

spacelord

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2002
I've been using a Logitech G700 wireless/wired mouse for over a year.
I played alot of BF2 and BF3 with that bad boy.

BlueWeasel

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I think the new Cooler Master Storm mice are the best bang for you buck mice on the market. You've got the entry level Xornet (2000dpi) and the higher end Spawn (3500dpi). I've seen both mice go as low as $15AR during a few sales.

They share the same design but the Spawn has a slightly better sensor and one more button is programmable. Build quality wise they're solid, I own the Xornet, and they both use Omron microswitches rated to 5 million clicks. I'm familiar with Omron from the arcade stick scene, Japanese made switches used in high end arcade parts, definitely quality stuff.

They're also pretty well supported by Cooler Master, each mouse has a number of different firmware updates available that tweaks settings such as lift off distance, max perfect control speed, and performance on light or dark mouse pads to better suit different people's needs. Their forums feature a lot of feedback and tests run by the community that critique these mice in ways I never even knew existed before I started looking into buying one.

I think unless you have goliath hands (cause they're a bit smaller than most other mice), for what you get for the money, especially when on sale, these mice are a no brainer. I had 2 Razer mice before buying this one and I definitely won't be going Razer again. The scroll wheel on my Diamondback 3g failed within a few months, their prices and the amount of products they're putting out are going up, while quality is going down.

I've actually seen 3 mice from 3 different companies (not all mine) with scroll wheels that developed the same problem where you try to scroll down and it goes down then back up a bit. Kind of weird.

I love my Spawn mouse. It's a great mouse for claw-grip gamers.

RavenSEAL

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2010
My RAT7 has had it's up and downs, but overall, its a solid mouse I don't regret purchasing it.

I just wish it would've left a smaller hole in my wallet :hmm:

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
G700 - great gaming mouse

And having a MX1000, great everyday mouse but not recommended for gaming what's so ever.

AFurryReptile

Golden Member
Nov 5, 2006
My RAT7 has had it's up and downs, but overall, its a solid mouse I don't regret purchasing it.

I just wish it would've left a smaller hole in my wallet :hmm:

I have a RAT7 as well, and I wish I hadn't purchased it. The software was is hella buggy and out of date, the back button doesn't click anymore, the middle-mouse button double and triple-clicks half the time, the side-scrolling wheel doesn't and never has done anything at all, and the "slo-mo" button is too damn far away to reach comfortably. Let alone the fact that it's weirdly sensitive to bass, and I can't play too loudly or my mouse is all over the place.

My Logitech MX400 was better, imo. I could use a good recommendation for a mouse as well.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I bought a Logitech G500 recently, to replace my Logitech MX-518. It took me a few days to adapt to it but now I really like the G500, very comfortable and the extra buttons can be useful. I also like the parameters for sensitivity configuration using the Logitech's SetPoint software. I can have as much precision as I used to have with my MX-518, or more if I desire (MX-518's DPI was 1600, G500 can reach 5700 if you want).

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
I think my Mx518 is at least 4 years old, still chugging along perfectly fine and button clicks fine. However there is a bit of a creeking noise from buttons time to time.

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
I'm very pleased with my Razer Mamba 2012 edition, seem to have fixed a lot of the issues with the original Mamba, and I have to say it's nice to be back on a right handed gaming mouse rather than the less comfortable symmetrical ones.

If you're looking for a wireless mouse specifically I would highly recommend, if you can take the hit to the wallet, it's expensive :s

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
I'm very pleased with my Razer Mamba 2012 edition, seem to have fixed a lot of the issues with the original Mamba, and I have to say it's nice to be back on a right handed gaming mouse rather than the less comfortable symmetrical ones.

If you're looking for a wireless mouse specifically I would highly recommend, if you can take the hit to the wallet, it's expensive :s

How is the wireless performance compared to wired? I was actually considering, since id like to have a wireless mouse except for when im gaming. How is the wired performance by the way?

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
How is the wireless performance compared to wired? I was actually considering, since id like to have a wireless mouse except for when im gaming. How is the wired performance by the way?

It's fine, I can't tell the difference, I've read somewhere that apparently measuring the polling speed of the USB port it doesn't sustain 1000hz constantly but I can't notice that compared to wired.

I can't feel any lag associated with wireless either, plus the range is pretty good I can use it from my sofa which is great for when I play PC games on my projector. The battery seems to hold out long enough for extended gaming sessions as well, and you get used to charging it on the base when you're not using it quite quickly.

It's a great product it's just a shame it's so expensive.

Nov 26, 2005
I have a mouse that types, "gg" after every mp match, lo

your choice should start with comfort then go from there... i tried some of the popular gaming mice and didn't like the feel. to each their own. i prefer the R.A.T. 7 I keep the eye clean with a cotton swab and rubbing alcohol if it starts to tweak out. But the comfort and adjustability of the R.A.T. 7 won me over. Width, Length, thumb position, weighters, buttons in all the right places = win win

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Is DPI important?

no, not at all

some of the best gamers in the world still use and win with "crappy" 400-800 DPI LED opticals

higher DPI is more about increased speed than precision like the marketing wants you to believe. In fact many gamers who buy in to the huge DPI farce ignorantly crank it all the way up and fail to compensate by lowering sensitivity settings enough to reign in their control and thus their accuracy is actually worse

having some DPI flexibility can be nice though, but its not a deal breaker if its not there, for instance I'd say ~1800 should be more than enough for anyone, and thus the 3500/3600DPI on a mouse like the DeathAdder or G400 is perfectly fine, don't fall for the laser mice that boast well over 5000 (such mice can be nice for a plethora of reasons other than insane DPI). Basically you should be buying the mouse because of its shape and buttons fit your needs.

LazadaMY

Apr 13, 2012
G700 - great gaming mouse

And having a MX1000, great everyday mouse but not recommended for gaming what's so ever.

I have the Logitech G700 also. Feels good and comfortable but it's kinda heavy for me though.

Anyway, I am eyeing for a switch to a Razer mouse. Fingers crossed, Razer DeathAdder! :biggrin:

ixelion

Feb 5, 2005
I have the Logitech G700 also. Feels good and comfortable but it's kinda heavy for me though.

Anyway, I am eyeing for a switch to a Razer mouse. Fingers crossed, Razer DeathAdder! :biggrin:

I have to say, weight is an extremly important factor when picking out a mouse. I cannot stress how important it is, it makes a huge diffrence in twitch gaming/fps.

For a long time I was using a RAT 7, and was pretty unhappy but could not pinpoint why, I plugged in my old Razer Imperator and instantly felt the difference, precision is much easier, kills in BF3 come much easier. weight is important go pick up the mouse in your hand or look up the specs before buying.

Scaroza

Apr 12, 2012
I have a Mionix Saiph 3200, which I absolutely adore, its got a weighting system to tailor it to your preferences and 7 different sensitivity settings. If you are looking for a high number of buttons this isn't great it only got the two extra on the side which are on a rocker rather than having 2 separate buttons.

The Mionix Naos is a better solution to this, I havent personally got one but they are favourably reviewed, the only sticking point is the price (not sure of the cost in America) The quality of the mionix units is excellent, I've had mine for well over 2.5 years and never had any problems. Mionix is definitely worth a look :)

http://www.mionix.net/page.php?al=naos5000

ChAoTiCpInOy

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
So basically the most important thing is having a mouse that is comfortable and has the amount of buttons you need?

thelastjuju

Nov 6, 2011
no, not at all

some of the best gamers in the world still use and win with "crappy" 400-800 DPI LED opticals

higher DPI is more about increased speed than precision like the marketing wants you to believe. In fact many gamers who buy in to the huge DPI farce ignorantly crank it all the way up and fail to compensate by lowering sensitivity settings enough to reign in their control and thus their accuracy is actually worse

having some DPI flexibility can be nice though, but its not a deal breaker if its not there, for instance I'd say ~1800 should be more than enough for anyone, and thus the 3500/3600DPI on a mouse like the DeathAdder or G400 is perfectly fine, don't fall for the laser mice that boast well over 5000 (such mice can be nice for a plethora of reasons other than insane DPI). Basically you should be buying the mouse because of its shape and buttons fit your needs.

hmm, I dunno about that.. I still play Counterstrike 1.6 every once in a while.. and it seems like all the most accurate, sharp shooting guys that drop you with a single shot to the head all insist you need high, but not unnecessarily high dpi.

So I would say it only matters to a certain extent. The inordinately high DPI count is just a marketing ploy imo, to appeal to people who blindly accept statistics to be performance indicators.

Anyway, my favorite mouse is the MX518! But also because I'm just so used to it.. Can't believe they took it off the market!

So I would agree.. go with whatever button config you like, but even more importantly: what feels best in your hand.. and you'll kinda just grow into it like I did with my 518 and not want to use anything else afterward.

xboxist

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2002
I too, bought the G9X a few days ago after my previous Logitech mouse of about 4 years finally died.

I'm an EXTREMELY happy with it. It's my first mouse with a weighted option and I'm loving it. The scroll wheel options (clicky for games - frictionless for surfing) are very nice. The overall aesthetic of the mouse is very pleasing to the eye. And the software let me turn the LEDs to dark purple, lol. That's obviously the clincher there.