Gaming mic - recommendation?

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
I'm currently using a wireless xbox headset for skype/vent when gaming. I only use the headset for the mic (and speakers for sound), and clip it to my shirt.

The battery's starting to go out and I'm looking for a replacement.

Pros:
• pretty good voice pickup without background noise (I'm told)
• wireless, super light

Cons:
• often falls off my shirt (and isn't comfy to wear)

Should I just stick with what I have, or are there better alternatives? Are desk/stand mics good?

alangrift

May 21, 2013
Headset mics are good, I use to have a Turtle Beach one when I had a desktop.

Now I just use my laptop mic with normal SkullCandy headphones.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
The problem I have always had is that headsets aren't really that good. While they often contain decent mics they compromise the sound quality, even the expensive ones. So now what I do is use a modmic on a standard pair of headphones.

The mic quality is exceptional, its pretty similar to the pickup quality of the PC-360 headset from Sennheiser. But its not directional, so it picks up a lot of noise in the room as well. I am hoping modmic will soon make a design that has a directional/shielded mic.

Triglet

Nov 22, 2007
Just grab a $20ish desktop mic from Logitech or similar. I have the one from Amazon that has 700 reviews and it works like a charm, but doesn't seem to be available anymore.

There is a newer version that doesn't get as good of reviews but I'd venture to say the low star reviews are just people that are doing it wrong.

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
Deal Extreme (dx.com) sells some decent desktop mic's. I would definitely recommend going with headphones and a separate mic. Sound quality in most headsets simply isn't up to par.