Gaming laptop help

Brgisme

Feb 20, 2016
I've been looking into getting a gaming laptop for a long time. I have a desktop it's great, but my job has a bunch of downtime and my IPad and apps are starting to bore me. I had an Alienware laptop way back before dell bought them but it was an overheating nightmare. So I've never got a new one.

I started looking at 15" laptops at the biggest and honestly want to stay at 15" at max, my problem is every time I watch reviews of serious gaming laptops in that range they all heat up so much I'm worried I'll get six months out of it and it will be fried. The 17" ones seem ok on heat, but the pure size of them is just crazy. So is it possible to get a 15" high end gaming laptop that won't overheat and can still game well?

Price point, going $3k to $3500 isn't fun but I expected I'd have to and for sure if I went with the 17" so I can live with that as crazy as that sounds it's worth it to me. Specs I've kind of had in mind is a 970m gpu if not 980m (most 15" don't have the 980m I've found, for overheating reasons I'm guessing). Honestly 1080 is fine, to me 4K is just waisted on a laptop. I'd rather the matte screen also to avoid glare. Sound isn't a huge issue to me neither is having an optical drive. SSD for sure, I've been spoiled by my desktop having it. 16 gig of ram preferred, but could go eight. i7 processor preferred also. So am I asking for something that doesn't exist in a 15"?

Are my options the ASUS Rog 752 or the MSI gt72 mainly? Are "boutique" brands like FalconNW or others an option? It's really tough to find any in depth review from them. Origin seems ok, but overheating is a problem with them like other 15" models/brands. Sorry so long, just trying to give all the information to avoid any responses not knowing what I'm looking for specifically.

Any help, opinions or direction would be greatly appreciated.

giantpandaman2

Oct 17, 2005
Gigabyte P35w or P35x is an alternative. What games do you play? How important is the keyboard to you?

As for quality...I'm not sure if I've heard a gaming laptop brand that hasn't had its share of problems. They seem so unreliable that I'd actually be tempted to buy one of those third party warranties.

Brgisme

Feb 20, 2016
Gigabyte P35w or P35x is an alternative. What games do you play? How important is the keyboard to you?

As for quality...I'm not sure if I've heard a gaming laptop brand that hasn't had its share of problems. They seem so unreliable that I'd actually be tempted to buy one of those third party warranties.

Honestly I'd be starting with Skyrim (shouldn't be a problem on most any higher end systems now days) but I do have fallout 4 also. Probably sims/civ games and I play a few MMO's (guild wars 2 and path of exile) for the majority of them. As for a keyboard, I'm really going to be watching videos (YouTube/Netflix) or gaming, any physical keyboard would beat typing on an iPad I guess so not a huge issue. Anything I had to type out long I'd do on my desktop.

Last edited:

Brgisme

Feb 20, 2016
Hmm, maybe just buy a SFF and hook it into your hotel's tv to play? Something like this... https://www.maingear.com/custom/sff/torq/index.php or this https://www.maingear.com/custom/sff/drift/index.php since it's designed for travel.

Since you're playing online I figure you'll be near a plug/tv anyway.

When I say at work, I mean at work, I work in security and most of the time it's like being in a guard tower doing nothing. So watching movies and playing games is part of the don't die of boredom. So it's going to be carried to work, that's why the 17" is a bit much. Yes, I get paid at work to kill time playing games (not only that but yes also that). That's also why it's well worth it to get a laptop.

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
When I say at work, I mean at work, I work in security and most of the time it's like being in a guard tower doing nothing. So watching movies and playing games is part of the don't die of boredom. So it's going to be carried to work, that's why the 17" is a bit much. Yes, I get paid at work to kill time playing games (not only that but yes also that). That's also why it's well worth it to get a laptop.

...unless there are spare monitors you can use where you can plug in a small PC ? Or a TV there for the purpose of keeping you alert, which you can use as a monitor instead of TV (even 720P looks OK with antialiasing on.)

A laptop is so much more money, it should be a last resort.

However, if they don't have spare monitors around and/or they'd frown on having a TV in your work area, the laptop is going to cause the least amount of friction. You DON'T want to mess with any existing computers & monitors... I.T. guys get SUPER anal about having work equipment messed with in any way, so don't do it. ;)

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Maybe you might consider this one

http://www.trustedreviews.com/msi-ge62-apache-review-performance-battery-life-and-verdict-page-3

it's 15.6" but if you live near a Fry's Electronics chances are good that they'll have a similar model on display. I have gotten to play for a short while on the 17" inch version of this that belongs to a friend. It's very slim for the screen size and the 15.6" version should be too

the 960m gtx is the base GPU available in the most recent refresh of the MSI gaming laptops and you'll find a 6th generation i7 cpu in there as well. Generally retail will start at about $1199 there are options for the 965m gtx or 970 gtx but the cost will go up alot for those.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk9GNW0kv7M
^Fallout 4 gameplay with an MSI laptop using a 960m GTX and a 5th gen i7 looks reasonably smooth at decent video settings.

Last edited:

Brgisme

Feb 20, 2016
...unless there are spare monitors you can use where you can plug in a small PC ? Or a TV there for the purpose of keeping you alert, which you can use as a monitor instead of TV (even 720P looks OK with antialiasing on.)

A laptop is so much more money, it should be a last resort.

However, if they don't have spare monitors around and/or they'd frown on having a TV in your work area, the laptop is going to cause the least amount of friction. You DON'T want to mess with any existing computers & monitors... I.T. guys get SUPER anal about having work equipment messed with in any way, so don't do it. ;)

Yeah with our cyber security they have locks on any port you can plug anything into on the computers/monitors at work. No way that can happen so laptop is my best option. IT guys have no sense of humor for prying out the security locks at all lol. They are cool with checking your laptop for viruses and helping set it up and such though which is cool.

giantpandaman2

Oct 17, 2005
Ahh, well, you got 3 different computers to check out, I guess. The Gigabyte comes with up to a 980m. I don't think you'd be happy with a 960m. Personally, I think the 970m would be the sweet spot for thermals and power on a 15" laptop. With a 980m I'd worry about the computer cooking. Since you'll be stationary I'd think about investing in a laptop cooler if you do go for the 980m, maybe even for the 970m.

If you've got a locker you could "hide" a SFF w/monitor in there... Just make sure it's secure ;P.

Brgisme

Feb 20, 2016
Ahh, well, you got 3 different computers to check out, I guess. The Gigabyte comes with up to a 980m. I don't think you'd be happy with a 960m. Personally, I think the 970m would be the sweet spot for thermals and power on a 15" laptop. With a 980m I'd worry about the computer cooking. Since you'll be stationary I'd think about investing in a laptop cooler if you do go for the 980m, maybe even for the 970m.

If you've got a locker you could "hide" a SFF w/monitor in there... Just make sure it's secure ;P.

Yeah it seems like, from numerous reviews, if you get a 17" then a 980m is ok and on a 15" a 970m won't be to hot, a cooler is an option because I'll almost always be at a desk and have an outlet available.

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Not only can you get a gaming laptop for way less than $3k, you can get a good gaming laptop for under $2k.

And yes you can get a 980m in a 15" unit with good cooling, $2k fully loaded.
One example is the Clevo P650 platform (Sager NP865x):

GTX970:
http://www.sagernotebook.com/customize.php?productid=885

GTX980:
http://www.sagernotebook.com/customize.php?productid=886 Edit: Alternate config link, lower price when fully loaded

The 970 system with 1080 IPS G-Sync, i7, 16GB RAM, 500GB 850 EVO, 1TB HDD etc is ~$1,574

The 980 version with the same IPS, i7 w/ IC diamond, 16GB, 500GB SSD, 1TB etc is $1,944

Internals look like this:
1-jpg.130130

Under stress testing reported temps were 72c with 970m, gaming temps mid 60c. These mobile GPUs are designed to handle 90c temps.
I don't have numbers for the 980m, but it's not that much more intense than the 970m, so I'd expect no more than 10c extra.

And there are other options out there, even a 15" unit with a full desktop 6700k in it:
http://www.sagernotebook.com/customize.php?productid=880

With 1080 G-Sync, 980m, 16GB, 500GB 850 EVO, 1TB, Intel 8260 (best WiFi IMO) and the 330w PSU it's $2,459.

Reviews suggest the CPU tops out at 85c while the 980m stays in the 60c range.

Last edited:

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
One thing I would suggest is finding options in the games that let you limit the fps.

when I play on a laptop I like to limit the fps to 30 to reduce the temps on components.

if the game does not have that option nVidia inspector can do that. However, it hasn't been updated in a while afaik so it may stop working for that purpose soon.

w0ss

Sep 4, 2003
Actually I see an alternate model NP8658 w/ 980m on the Sager website, it comes stock with 16GB, IC Diamond, and SSD at a discounted price.
http://www.sagernotebook.com/customize.php?productid=886

1080 G-Sync, i7, 980m, 16GB, 500GB EVO, 1TB, and Intel AC 8260 it's $1,944 Saves you over $50

Edit: Oh and these units are also available on Xotic PC http://www.xoticpc.com/

That is the model I bought. 6820k and a 980m total was around 2200 but I wanted 32 GB RAM and a 4k screen

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
That is the model I bought. 6820k and a 980m total was around 2200 but I wanted 32 GB RAM and a 4k screen

Why the extra for the 6820? Actually, why 32GB and 4k as well? The 980m can't handle 4k, and 1080 looks acceptable at 15".

What are your thoughts about the unit? How are your temps with the 980m?

Brgisme

Feb 20, 2016
Why the extra for the 6820? Actually, why 32GB and 4k as well? The 980m can't handle 4k, and 1080 looks acceptable at 15".

My thoughts and questions exactly. Does it run cool? If so do you game for any real length of time, running cool for 30 isn't going to help me, I'm going to be using it for an hour or two at a time and maybe a bit more at times.

As for the 4K graphics everything I've read says its kind of overkill for even a 17" screen let alone the current mobile gpu's? I could very well be wrong on that, I'm going off people reviewing them and everyone's opinions are different.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
As for the 4K graphics everything I've read says its kind of overkill for even a 17" screen let alone the current mobile gpu's? I could very well be wrong on that, I'm going off people reviewing them and everyone's opinions are different.

How is your eye-sight? If you can see at least 20/20 (imo ideally you'd have better than 20/20) you might reap the benefits of greater than 1080p resolution on a 17 inch screen. It's probably more for specific use cases where that resolution is needed for work and your employer may help with some of the costs of such a system.

My sight is rather worse for wear after admittedly too much time in front of a screen and 1080p on a 17 inch screen to me is very very clear.
A 960m can still play many of today's latest releases at 1080p without having to reduce settings too much (Rise of the Tomb Raider and Fallout 4 being ones with played on a 960m GTX demonstration videos on youtube) and the higher end gpus will of course extend that lifespan.

Juno

Lifer
Jul 3, 2004
sager's got my vote. when it comes to gaming laptop, sager's the only answer.

Aug 11, 2008
Maybe you might consider this one

http://www.trustedreviews.com/msi-ge62-apache-review-performance-battery-life-and-verdict-page-3

it's 15.6" but if you live near a Fry's Electronics chances are good that they'll have a similar model on display. I have gotten to play for a short while on the 17" inch version of this that belongs to a friend. It's very slim for the screen size and the 15.6" version should be too

the 960m gtx is the base GPU available in the most recent refresh of the MSI gaming laptops and you'll find a 6th generation i7 cpu in there as well. Generally retail will start at about $1199 there are options for the 965m gtx or 970 gtx but the cost will go up alot for those.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zk9GNW0kv7M
^Fallout 4 gameplay with an MSI laptop using a 960m GTX and a 5th gen i7 looks reasonably smooth at decent video settings.

my grandson has an asus laptop with the 960M and he says it plays FO4 pretty well.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
If you just want a cheap beater laptop a Dell Inspiron 7559 as a refurb/Dell Outlet deal can regularly be had for $650ish to $750ish depending on options. 6700HQ, 8GB DDR3L, 960m 4GB, dual fans, and the easiest access to upgrade components/clean fans ever. I just installed a second 8GB DDR3L stick (for <$30) and a Crucial BX100 240GB SSD ($60ish) for a total cost of < $740 after tax and shipping.

Gaming is probably the least amount of time I spend on it but it'll run most newer titles on 1080p medium or higher decently. The screen isn't the best if you go 1080p but it's not the worst either.

w0ss

Sep 4, 2003

I have an odd use case. The ram(since upgraded to 64gig) is for running Cisco VIRL to simulate networks. I went with 4k for screen real estate outside of gaming. But make sure you have good vision because 4k on a 15" screen is tiny.

The only reason I got the 6820k was in case I wanted to overclock it and also it had a slight performance bump.

So far temps have not been an issue and the laptop is actually not that bad for noise. I will try to get some temps tomorrow.

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
I have an odd use case. The ram(since upgraded to 64gig) is for running Cisco VIRL to simulate networks. I went with 4k for screen real estate outside of gaming. But make sure you have good vision because 4k on a 15" screen is tiny.

The only reason I got the 6820k was in case I wanted to overclock it and also it had a slight performance bump.

So far temps have not been an issue and the laptop is actually not that bad for noise. I will try to get some temps tomorrow.

So far I haven't seen a laptop that actually works overclocking with the k chips. Either no BIOS option, or it just ignores it anyway (some sort of hard coded limit) or the unit just throttles (power/heat limits).

If you're willing to test temps, plug it in and select high performance in power settings to make sure all the components are running full power.

Thanks for the input. :wub:

w0ss

Sep 4, 2003
Did some testing on my NP8658-S.

I ran the Unigin Heaven benchmark and looped it a few times temps were mostly at 63c but every once in awhile went to 64c.

I then ran FurMark for awhile and it maxed out at 78c.

I didn't notice any thermal throttling in either test for the 980m.

EliteRetard

Diamond Member
Mar 6, 2006
Did some testing on my NP8658-S.

I ran the Unigin Heaven benchmark and looped it a few times temps were mostly at 63c but every once in awhile went to 64c.

I then ran FurMark for awhile and it maxed out at 78c.

I didn't notice any thermal throttling in either test for the 980m.

Thanks for the info, that lines up well with other reviews I found for the 970m version (gaming 60's, max in the low 70c range). So going for the 980m adds less than 10c max, and it stays well below the 90c danger zone.

Looks like you can indeed get a fully maxed out 15" gaming laptop that stays comfortably cool. The 980m is something like 75-80% as fast as a desktop 970m...pretty darn impressive.