Gaming Laptop Crashes while Gaming. Event Viewer Shows: ID 37 as Culprit.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Hey All,

Laptop Specs: i9 Intel processor, geforce rtx 3070ti 8gb, 16mb ddr5 ram, Win11. Also, from what I've read online, ID 37 has to do with the power kernel.

I am having issues while playing current gen games like DaysGone and NBA 2k22, and not with older titles like Bioshock and UT3. So, what happens is when I'm gaiming within 3-5 minutes the screen freezes on me, I'll notice a buzzing sound, the screen will then get distorted with a few graphical artifacts on screen, shutdown and will reboot itself. I've tried: disabling intel speedstep, setting bios to default, going into power settings and setting power to performance, and to 100%. Bios is current. Win11 is current. All drivers are updated. Ive also did a scan check, memory check on system. The scan check fixed and validated the registry. Memory check came back clean. No issues. I also did restore health on system. I've also checked for heat issues. I ran Cinebench, and the Heaven Benchmark. Not once did my system shutdown during these test. CPU temps were in high 80s, sometimes low 90s on ultra. Especially on Cinebench, but from I've read Cinebench is quite demanding on the CPU. GPU temps in the high 60s range. And again, no crashes. I also have MSI Afterburner and checked on temps while gaming. Low- mid 80s which is normal for a gaming laptop. That is on very high, or ultra settings. I decided to run NBA2k22 at the lowest settings, and temps were in the 60s, both cpu and gpu. The system still froze and shut down. The same issue with DaysGone. Lowered resolution settings to 1920 and it still crashed. I tried on the laptop and Gigabyte monitor. Crashes on both. It doiesn't matter what monitor I'm using. When I do connect to my Gigabyte external its via HDMI.

I'm beginning to think there is a software conflict. Maybe an audio conflict? I have Realtek installed. I think its quite odd that I can run older titles with no issues, but newer gen titles are giving me issues. I'd also like to add that I had a Helios 300 with intel i7, Geforce rtx 1060 6gb, Win11 and had ZERO issues. This hasn't been the case with this new laptop.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
Can you change the newer games to use DX9 or Vulcan? Since lowering the quality didn't help I'd monkey with the settings until it worked. Maybe fiddle with the audio if you suspect that.

Nice laptop BTW...

I've got an i5 with a GTX1660ti that has been rock solid. I only dream of 3070s.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
Can you change the newer games to use DX9 or Vulcan? Since lowering the quality didn't help I'd monkey with the settings until it worked. Maybe fiddle with the audio if you suspect that.

Nice laptop BTW...

I've got an i5 with a GTX1660ti that has been rock solid. I only dream of 3070s.

I found the issue. Malewarebytes was causing the fans in my system to ramp up which would cause a crash. I disabled Malewarebytes and BAM problem solved. Its odd though, because I've had Malewarebytes run in the background before and had ZERO issues. Its why I didn't even think to check it. Only on a whim did I check this and found the solution. It was never a heat issue. Temps stayed in the high 70s, low 80s when gaming. Which is normal for a gaming laptop. Maybe Malewarebytes and Intel i9 don't play well together? Maybe its another app that doesn't play well with Malewarebytes.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
I found the issue. Malewarebytes was causing the fans in my system to ramp up which would cause a crash. I disabled Malewarebytes and BAM problem solved. Its odd though, because I've had Malewarebytes run in the background before and had ZERO issues. Its why I didn't even think to check it. Only on a whim did I check this and found the solution. It was never a heat issue. Temps stayed in the high 70s, low 80s when gaming. Which is normal for a gaming laptop. Maybe Malewarebytes and Intel i9 don't play well together? Maybe its another app that doesn't play well with Malewarebytes.

Good job at finding the culprit. I always recommend closing all non-essential apps when troubleshooting to rule out a software conflict.