Article Gaming headsets for kids

Grandquads

Nov 12, 2019
Hello, I am looking to buy my kids some headsets they can use on their computer to talk to each other without pushing a talk button. They are ages 9 and 5 so I’m sure the headset will be mistreated. They style of games they play are like (adventure story) (Minecraft) etc etc. the problem is their rooms are opposite sides of house and they yell and scream trying to give each other direction. Any one have any decent budget friendly suggestions they could use to talk with each other weather through the computer internet or some other means

thank you for your help!!!

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

This is trolling. You need this to stop. Zero point warning as a courtesy.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

Grandquads

Nov 12, 2019
I’m not sure asking for advice is trolling when I have no clue what I’m looking for and thought by asking ppl who use this stuff every day would be a bad thing?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I’m not sure asking for advice is trolling when I have no clue what I’m looking for and thought by asking ppl who use this stuff every day would be a bad thing?

That warning wasn't posted
(or directed) at you. It was for
the user who responded to your
post.

AT Mod Usandthem

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
most any headset will work, find one at your price point
the push to talk option can usually be disabled in the game, or whatever else they use for chatting

Grandquads

Nov 12, 2019
Sorry I misunderstood, thank you for clearing it up.
mdram, any suggestions on a brand and or place to buy. I’m completely in the dark for this kind of thing all I know is I see the guys on you tube wearing headset talking to other players

thank you

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
i like my hyper x cloud 2, they run @ 100 each though

i have used $15 ones from new egg and amazon in the past, they are not as comfortable
and dont sound as nice
but if your worried about them breaking, i woud try them first

have you though about how they will talk to one another?
does the game have built in voice? discord? teamspeak? ect ect

Grandquads

Nov 12, 2019
I don’t believe the all the games they play have a voice option
Is there a wireless blue tooth or radio or a way through internet that they could carry a conversation without having to worry about talking on top of each other and or pushing a ptt button and prefer not to use a voice activated

thanks for the info

mdram

Golden Member
Jan 2, 2014
you could set up your own team speak server on one of them
or use a discord channel, its free

but you will have 2 options any way you do it (at least that i can think of)
push to talk, or open mic
in either way they can still talk over one another

Feb 4, 2009
**no kids**
**not an audiophile**
I have had several headsets over the last 10 years.
Be careful about the volume, I have owned some that imo are dangerously loud. They are fussy about lower volumes. I guess I am saying check what your kids have the volume set to occasionally.
More expensive headsets last longer than cheap headsets however there is better value in cheap headsets. Every headset I’ve had breaks or becomes irritating in 1-3 years. Cheapest headset was the one to last 3 years.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah, cheap headsets FTW (but maybe not TOO cheap?).

The other, more trouble-free option, would be to outfit each of their PCs with a webcam with decent audio, such as one of Logitech's with "RightSound (tm)" audio, like the C525 or C615 models (auto-focus too), and then get each one of them to get a Skype account, and put each other on their friends list. Then all they have to do, when they start their gaming sessions, is launch Skype and log in, and they'll be connected, no need to set up your own TeamSpeak server, etc., and no PTT.

You would also of course, need speakers or monitors with speakers built-in (HDMI is good for that).

Downside, is that chatting may not be so clear, with the game noise in the background, and you'll be able to hear their game noises in the house. Upside, is that the webcams take basically NO maintenance, and should last a good long time. (No wear-and-tear from putting on and ripping off headsets, yanking cords, etc.)

Edit: I don't know how old they are, but the other downside is, you might find out that they suddenly acquire "online girlfriends" several states away...

2x of these, $30 ea, REFURB, would do it.
https://www.newegg.com/p/1EF-000C-00122?Description=logitech C615&cm_re=logitech_C615-_-1EF-000C-00122-_-Product

Edit: Disclaimer, I don't have kids, but I've gone through a few headsets, and honestly, for extended gaming or chat sessions, I always find them somewhat uncomfortable. Webcams are pretty non-intrusive, sit on top of the monitor, and just work.

Edit: Another thing that you could do, to make the chat audio clearer, and more separated from the game audio, is if their PCs have both regular analog speakers from the mobo's audio out jack, as well as HDMI audio through a monitor with speakers. You can adjust which device outputs which audio (in most cases), and set your skype audio to the HDMI monitor speakers, for chat, and set the game audio, to the more "booming" external discrete speakers. Recommend a good Logitech Z323 or Z313 2.1 setup. Refurb to save money, of course. Booming sound for $20-30.

Edit: Also to clarify, Skype will work for voice-only (not video) chat as well, with headsets OR webcams with mics.

Last edited:

Grandquads

Nov 12, 2019
Thank you guys so much. My kids are 9 and 5 and with all the info you have shown me I’m thinking of trying the headset setup first but more than likely going to end up on video