Gaming Headset Recommendations?

mulsiphix

Apr 17, 2007
My wifes and my own computer sit side by side on the same table. We can use posterboard to block the view of each others screen but sound is a big problem in games like RTS's where stealth is very important. We're looking for some headsets to wear while playing these titles. Other than when we play against each other we won't be wearing them. Anybody have any recommendations?

Since we'll be playing games like Supreme Commander and Dawn of War, the sound quality is important. They must have a mic and the ear phones must cover the entire ear. The standard walkman/cdplayer headphones that just rest on the ear or earbud headphones are not acceptable. Recommendations would be most appreciated.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
http://www.buy.com/prod/icemat-siberia-...headset-white/q/loc/101/202737968.html

$50

This is the set I picked up, although I got them for cheaper with rebate. I certainly wouldn't call them the perfect headphones and not even the perfect gaming headset, but the audio quality is pretty good for the money and the comfort is hard to beat. I know the Sennheisers are popular but their "gaming" headsets don't cover the ears, and those headsets don't even match the audio quality of their higher end stuff that they're really known for.

That being said I don't like how the Icemat Siberia's headphone is basically a clip on (although they make it very easy to keep together and untangled and it does work just about as well as having a mic arm attached to the headset) - but it was the best I could find that had the best compromise between price / comfort / quality / performance, at least IMO.

Fayd

Diamond Member
Jun 28, 2001
www.manwhoring.com
Originally posted by: bunnyfubbles
http://www.buy.com/prod/icemat-siberia-...headset-white/q/loc/101/202737968.html

$50

This is the set I picked up, although I got them for cheaper with rebate. I certainly wouldn't call them the perfect headphones and not even the perfect gaming headset, but the audio quality is pretty good for the money and the comfort is hard to beat. I know the Sennheisers are popular but their "gaming" headsets don't cover the ears, and those headsets don't even match the audio quality of their higher end stuff that they're really known for.

That being said I don't like how the Icemat Siberia's headphone is basically a clip on (although they make it very easy to keep together and untangled and it does work just about as well as having a mic arm attached to the headset) - but it was the best I could find that had the best compromise between price / comfort / quality / performance, at least IMO.

i picked up this headset for 9.99.

in approximately the same amount of time i've had it, i went through 4 other "gaming headsets" previously.

the cord is very durable, the mic is...annoying to position, but that's the only grievance.

MrWizzard

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
I have a friend that I have come over and game with. We used to play a lot of RTS he used to play with his sound up then one day, we were playing a RTS and I hear from his computer, ?Nuclear Bomb is Ready.? I moved all my forces about 1 screen on the map, seconds later a nuke hits where they used to be.

Him, ?DOH?.

He seems to play with the sound really quiet now?

jkresh

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2001
I would recommend taking a look at the tryton ax360 it actually does a decent job of surround sound and the mic is fine. Its not cheap and its surround wont be as good as a good speaker setup but it still gives a good idea of position which can be useful in some games. It doesnt sound as good as an equivalently priced sennheiser 2.1, but the 2.1 wont give you positional audio so ...