Gaming build mobo help

Fadsy

Nov 16, 2018
I received my new asrock fatality gaming k4 today from amazon and started building everything from scratch.
Steps,
1. Installed the cpu and made sure the triangles line up after consulting the manuals, installed the cooler, GPu and two ram sticks switched on the PSu and no post.
2. Tried booting without the gpu and still no sound or picture.
3. Tried running it with just one memory stick, but still no post sound or picture.
4. Tried the memory stick in different slots each time still no post.
5. Tried the bare min with just cpu and cooler still no post sound or pict or beeps. I know I shud get a beep coz no memory installed.
6. B4 u say anything I have built pc b4 I know the dos and dons, I kept discharging my self from the psu every few mins. I built on wood floor and wooden table.
7. The cpu, ram and gpu are not faulty coz they worked fine in my previous msi mobo and they have been handled and stored properly in there packaging.
8. Checked the cpu pins and they are fine, I always handle the cpu from the edges never touch the pins.
9. I have noticed something, when I switch the psu on the motherboard lights up, there’s a light under the asrock heat sink and it keeps flashing red b4 and after I boot the computer, surely it’s telling something is wrong.
10. B4 u say anything the psu is connected correctly to the mobo.
11. At lease with the msi mobo I got a successful post and windows was loading fine.
12. I was listening to 50 cent, wiz Khalifa, dr dre and snoop whilst building.
13. I tried resetting the cmos still the same no luck.
14. I heard something about amd supplying cpu to get a successful boot, I don’t know.
15. Surely the mobo is faulty can’t think of anything else.
Can you please help me on a mobo that is trouble free and would recognised cpu and ram before I burn everything on this 800 pound build. It has to be atx no minis or micros. I prefer ASUs.
Here is my specs,
ryzen 5 1600x,
gskill ddr4 series 3200 MHz ram and
msi Radeon armour 8gb GPu.
EVGA - B3 650W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power supply.

Reactions: UsandThem

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Maybe the motherboard is simply DOA, or the RAM isn't compatible (not on Asrock's QVL list)?

You didn't give the full model number of the motherboard, but any AM4 motherboard should support the Ryzen 1600x just fine without any BIOS update.

BTW, why did you replace your old motherboard? Did it have problems or something, because otherwise you don't really gain too much from going from a B350/X370 motherboard to a B450/X470 with otherwise the same components.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Asrock fatality b450 gaming k4

I edited my post as you replied:

BTW, why did you replace your old motherboard? Did it have problems or something, because otherwise you don't really gain too much from going from a B350/X370 motherboard to a B450/X470 with otherwise the same components.

Fadsy

Nov 16, 2018
Ok I started with the msi b350 tomahawk everything was fine except of the bios was faulty it didn’t work. Some ppl told me not to use msi and go with ASUs or asrock.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Ok I started with the msi b350 tomahawk everything was fine except of the bios was faulty it didn’t work. Some ppl told me not to use msi and go with ASUs or asrock.

OK.

My guess your RAM is not compatible with your new board, or it's DOA. There's really not much else it could be.

Campy

Jun 25, 2010
Maybe just a dead board?

Btw you'll never get picture without the GPU, Ryzen CPUs don't have integrated graphics.

The Sauce

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
I'm going to guess you have a standoff in the wrong position shorting out the mobo from behind. I would uninstall, check the standoffs, and reinstall. I have made that mistake a dozen times.

Fadsy

Nov 16, 2018
The ram is fined it worked before on msi mobo no problem.
I always bench test my system on wooden table b4 I install it in the case it saves me the hassle of extra work, so it’s not a stand-off prob.
A I have tried it with gpu and without but no luck

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
The ram is fined it worked before on msi mobo no problem.
I always bench test my system on wooden table b4 I install it in the case it saves me the hassle of extra work, so it’s not a stand-off prob.
A I have tried it with gpu and without but no luck

Just because it worked great on one motherboard, doesn't mean it will on another (especially with Ryzen). Whatever motherboard you go with next, you might want to look at its QVL list to possibly eliminate another headache.

Fadsy

Nov 16, 2018
Update.

I tried to run the system again and walla successful post. It turned out to be a faulty hdmi cable.

So I installed everything in the case and booted up everything was fine.

I installed a fresh copy of windows 120 home 64bit, I ran into a few issues such as unable to install windows on gpt drive ect but I managed to fix.

so I installed all drivers ect and everything is running fine.

Problem.

the ram speed is set to 2134mhz ands my ram supports 3200mhz.

so I went into bios and tried to load xmp profile which is set to 3200mhz, when the computer reboots windows doesn't start and I get the windows error failed to boot msg.

so when I change back to default setting i.e 2134mhz windows boots up fine with no problem.

Can you advise me on overclocking please.

I tried going on youtube some1 tried to do the same thing and it worked fine, but with me windows goes into error.

Can any1 explain to me whats going o, is it a mobo fault coz I have a month to return the item to amazon

Another thing is that when I was installing the mountings for my cooler master212 led turbo I broke one of the mounting screws so the cooler is supported by three mounts instead of four. I’d this a problem worth rectifying ? If so where can get the screw mounts from?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Another thing is that when I was installing the mountings for my cooler master212 led turbo I broke one of the mounting screws so the cooler is supported by three mounts instead of four. I’d this a problem worth rectifying ? If so where can get the screw mounts from?
This needs to be fixed.

Reactions: mxnerd

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
You can try to manually set the speed and timings of your RAM in the BIOS. It sounds like you are using RAM that wasn't on the QVL list, otherwise it should automatically configure the speeds when you enabled the profile. The RAM might not be able to run at it's fastest speed, but you will have have to try different speeds and see where issues start. Quite a few people end up running their RAM at 2933.

This needs to be fixed.

And ditto from Larry stated. It sounds like you need to contact the company to order another mounting kit.

Fadsy

Nov 16, 2018
here what g.skills tech support have said:

Dear Customer,

Due to the Ryzen platform being a new and different architecture, in terms of memory compatibility, other memory series may not provide the same level of compatibility as our “For AMD” series memory, which includes the FORTIS series, Flare X series and the Trident Z RGB (For AMD) series.

In any case, we can try to see if we can get your system working at higher frequency. Please first make sure ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4 motherboard BIOS is updated to version 1.50 (current latest), then follow the steps below to clear CMOS before booting.

1. Shut down the computer and disconnect the power cord connected to the motherboard.

2. Wait for 10 seconds.

3. Remove the round lithium battery (CMOS battery) for additional 30 seconds while the power cord is disconnected.

4. Reinstall F4-3200C16D-8GVKB memory kit to DDR4_A2 and DDR4_B2 DIMM slots (make sure the modules are properly clicked in)

5. Enable XMP and try the following frequency

a. DDR4-3200MHz

b. DDR4-2933MHz

c. DDR4-2800MHz

d. DDR4-2666MHz

6. Save changes and exit (F10)

Please make no other changes in BIOS, and make sure CPU is not overclocked when testing the memory kit.

Kindly let us know the test results, and we will see if there are alternative solutions.

Fadsy

Nov 16, 2018
gpu jammed problem.
I reseted the bios today and replaced the ram sticks as I was instructed by g.skill. I used xmp profile at 3200mhz but system kept crashing until I got to 2993mhz and its running fine so far.
whilst I was doing that I have noticed that my gpu fans are not turning but am still getting video output, so I restarted the computer and the fans started turning for a few seconds and stopped. so I thought that I should reinstall the gpu card see if it helps. when I tried taking out the gpu card I noticed that its stuck I tried pushing the plastic leaver to release but the leaver wouldn't move it seems to be jammed, I tired applying a reasonable force but still jammed I didn't wanna push it too much incase it brakes my gpu. I have ordered new mountings for the cooler and they are on the way, but I need to remove the gpu and everything else to fix the cooler mountings but I can't get the gpu to come out.
What shall I do???????????????
take it to professional technicians see if they can remove the gpu?????????

internet problem:
I have ran broadband speed checker ona number of propherals using the same wireless router that I have to eliminate router network problem.

Broadband speed test

iPad wireless

Download 23.09

Upload 8.94

Ping 184ms

Ps4 wireless

Download 22.80

Upload 8.48

Ping 196ms

Ps4 wired

Download 37.15

Upload 7.10

Ping 406ms

Smart tv wireless

Download 18.26

Upload 0.72

Ping 446ms

Pc wired

Download 1.35

Upload 0.08

Ping 1096

Pc wireless

Download 8.80

Upload 0.32

Ping 707

looking at this data tells me that the issue is with my pc and not the broadband.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
gpu jammed problem.
I reseted the bios today and replaced the ram sticks as I was instructed by g.skill. I used xmp profile at 3200mhz but system kept crashing until I got to 2993mhz and its running fine so far.
whilst I was doing that I have noticed that my gpu fans are not turning but am still getting video output, so I restarted the computer and the fans started turning for a few seconds and stopped. so I thought that I should reinstall the gpu card see if it helps. when I tried taking out the gpu card I noticed that its stuck I tried pushing the plastic leaver to release but the leaver wouldn't move it seems to be jammed, I tired applying a reasonable force but still jammed I didn't wanna push it too much incase it brakes my gpu. I have ordered new mountings for the cooler and they are on the way, but I need to remove the gpu and everything else to fix the cooler mountings but I can't get the gpu to come out.
What shall I do???????????????
take it to professional technicians see if they can remove the gpu?????????

Not sure why you included internet speed results to make your post mega long, but as far as your GPU:

Many GPUs have fans that turn off when under 60 degrees Celsius.

As far as not being able to get your GPU out, there are special little clips at the end of the slot to keep the GPU locked in. You have to push down or sideways to disable the lock first. Take a look at your other free PCIe X16 slot (or your manual) to see how to do that. If you still can't figure it out, watch a video on YouTube.

Fadsy

Nov 16, 2018
There’s a clip at the end and u have to push down to release the gpu, I have taken it out this way few times b4 but it seems that the lock is jammed even when I push it down or sideways

Fadsy

Nov 16, 2018
Previously my gpu fans used to come on all the time but now they only come for few seconds when I restart the computer

Reactions: UsandThem

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
What about my internet problem?

I have ran broadband speed checker ona number of propherals using the same wireless router that I have to eliminate router network problem.

Did you forget to install the network drivers? Did you reboot your router? Outside of that, based on what info you have provided, I have no idea. I don't mean to sound rude, but based on all your "issues", you might have taken on too much with this build.

It might be a good idea to take it to a PC repair shop if you're still having issues.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
You have to push down or sideways to disable the lock first. Take a look at your other free PCIe X16 slot (or your manual) to see how to do that.
I have an AM3(+?) board, that uses (or, should I say, used, before I broke one off) different clips for the primary and secondary PCI-E slots. Why? I have no real idea. But based on that, looking at the secondary PCI-E slot didn't help much.

Edit: Btw, if your CPU is thermal-throttling, because one of your heatsink clips is broken, then that could (possibly) affect your internet speed.

I know that when I'm mining on my CPU, sometimes, my Gigabit FIOS connection, will score ~300Mbit/sec, sometimes ~500Mbit/sec, on a speedtest. When I stop the mining, I score 940Mbit/sec on the speedtest.

Anyways, worry about the obvious physical issues FIRST, and then move on to the software issues. Internet speed tests should likely come last.

Edit: From my reply to your other thread.

The problem is NOT your wireless adapter, if your ping is 1096ms on a wired connection. Something else is wrong. As I said in your other thread, I suspect thermal throttling of your CPU, due to the missing fourth heatsink mount point.

Please fix the obvious physical things FIRST, and please keep your issues to a SINGLE thread. It makes it MUCH harder to troubleshoot, if we don't have the fuller picture.

Edit: And for goodness sakes, get a DECENT wifi adapter.

Like this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AUKEY-WF-R...and-USB-3-0-Wireless-Adapter-Win/192425513679

Or this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Premiertek...-802-11ac-Wi-Fi-Adapter-for-Desk/183242417306

I've used both, they are decent, suitable for 24/7 operation (larger size doesn't overheat much like those nano-adapters do), works well with a 3x3 AC router (200-500Mbit/sec on a 5Ghz band).

Last edited:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Fix your CPU & GPU mounting before asking why the system has this and that problems.

If you can't even mount CPU & GPU properly, really there is nothing to discuss.