Gaming 30 years from now

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gsilver

Jul 8, 2012
I think that it's more likely to change fundamentally as opposed to any whiz-bang new graphics or ever-increasingly large worlds. While we *can* keep throwing in more polys, and probably will, visual fidelity, generally speaking, is more limited by artistic direction than technology these days. Especially on PCs, where things (generally) run at smooth framerates.

So, some kind of game-changer will come up, whether that's VR (with the all-important non-obtrusive headset... Trust me, 30 years from now, they'll laugh at oculus) or something else, it will be very different from now.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Yeah, the Matrox Millennium line coupled with a card from the 3fdx Voodoo line was my late 90s standard and then I had to jump to the GeForce 2 line.

Oh crap, I remember those days! When you needed a 3D card attached to your regular card!!

:awe:

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
Moore's law is dead. Gaming is not going to get much different then the super-high end equipment we have right now. My CPU I have now is almost 6 years old and isn't terribly different in performance then most iterations that recently came out.

Like someone else said, the gains now will have to come from software and design...not brute force. That seems to be much more complicated.

When I was little, I really couldn't wait until games could look like that Dire Straights music video. We've achieved that a long time ago, and the look is quite popular (ala minecraft).

I don't care what gaming looks like in 30 years, even if it doesn't change at all.

Stringjam

Golden Member
Jun 30, 2011
And it was done, not through some clever internal PCI/AGP bridge but it was done through an external VGA mini-cable that linked the "graphics card" with the 3D accelerator card. Those were the days!

Hi-Five!!

Anyone?

Seriously anyone?

Well, I have no desire to go back to those days. ;) But for good old times' sake...

internethighfive.jpg

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Moore's law is dead. Gaming is not going to get much different then the super-high end equipment we have right now. My CPU I have now is almost 6 years old and isn't terribly different in performance then most iterations that recently came out.

Like someone else said, the gains now will have to come from software and design...not brute force. That seems to be much more complicated.

When I was little, I really couldn't wait until games could look like that Dire Straights music video. We've achieved that a long time ago, and the look is quite popular (ala minecraft).

I don't care what gaming looks like in 30 years, even if it doesn't change at all.

B8xoR.jpg

:D

Honestly i think we will all be wearing helmets, and using power gloves again.
Have Voice input commands instead of using the WSAD keyboard.

Or maybe Monitors will become a flat desk, where things are projected in 3d like in avatar... and we play that way..

30 yrs is a long time....

Last edited: