Gaming: 3 x 24" or 1 x 27/30"?

Mistwalker

Feb 9, 2007
A lot of reviewers mention preferring one large display for most gaming anyway, and here a u2710 is about the same price as a ZR24W! The problem is I don't have the graphics power to run three 2560 res panels, and it's pushing my budget anyway.

Basically: Would any gamers here run one 27" or 30" over three smaller displays? 5760x1200 vs 5760x1080?

Some people seem to find gaming difficult on anything larger than 24" anyway, others complain about fish-eye syndrome using multi-monitor...

I'll be using the display(s) mainly for PC gaming (all genres) with some light home office work.

Prices here:
Dell U2311: $300 (x3 = by far cheapest option, but 1920x1080...)
Dell U2410: $500
ZR24W: $580 (my current choice, but so damn expensive)
Dell U2710: $615
Dell U3010: $1400 (input lag?)
ZR30w: $2000 (!)

Budget is ~$1750, less if possible. Unfortunately retailers in Japan do not stock either HP or Dell so I CANNOT preview these before buying, which scares me because of AG coating nightmares painted all over the place. :(

Last edited:

Wolves

Mar 21, 2011
A lot of reviewers mention preferring one large display for most gaming anyway, and here a u2710 is about the same price as a ZR24W! The problem is I don't have the graphics power to run three 2560 res panels, and it's pushing my budget anyway.

Basically: Would any gamers here run one 27" or 30" over three smaller displays? 5760x1200 vs 5760x1080?

Some people seem to find gaming difficult on anything larger than 24" anyway, others complain about fish-eye syndrome using multi-monitor...

I'll be using the display(s) mainly for PC gaming (all genres) with some light home office work.

Prices here:
Dell U2311: $300 (x3 = by far cheapest option, but 1920x1080...)
Dell U2410: $500
ZR24W: $580 (my current choice, but so damn expensive)
Dell U2710: $615
Dell U3010: $1400 (input lag?)
ZR30w: $2000 (!)

Budget is ~$1750, less if possible. Unfortunately retailers in Japan do not stock either HP or Dell so I CANNOT preview these before buying, which scares me because of AG coating nightmares painted all over the place. :(

U2711 if you can get it for $615 without any doubt!

Mistwalker

Feb 9, 2007
U2711 if you can get it for $615 without any doubt!
Yeah, it seems crazy cheap compared to most other countries.

The thing is, it's 2560x1440 which means I can't go triple monitor with it (don't have near a rig for that kind of resolution) and if I only go single monitor would it be enough? It's a weird middle ground.

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
As a dual screen user, I would have to say a single screen is better for most gamers. The reason is that few games use multiple monitors in a usable / useful fashion.

ie: Supreme Commander used the second as a large map.

The only games I have seen/heard that benifit from 3 are ones like flight sims. Wow from the photo's I've seen are nice, but far from useful for interactingn with the gaming world.

Some FPS might be helpful on three, but 2 is a joke (crosshair between the two screens). Side viewing can help a bit, but then people just turn up FOV from the default to get that bit extra area. A good gamer is always looking around so extra screens.

The more I think of it, for a FPS, it might help if your someone that gets motion sickness from a turning screen / stationary neck, but at the same time, someone that gets a stif neck from turning back and forwards a lot is not going to be helped by it.

In the end though, if the game does not benifit from multiple screens, then adding them does not give you an advantages to the scale of the increased cost.

As to non gaming use, genearlly 2 is enough for most (for those that have tried going over 1), but I have only seen more than 2 on a work PC when that PC was share trading.

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
As for me I'll vote for the Dell U2311H x3 for an Eyefinity setup. The IPS panel should prevent any problems with its is being made to view at a slight angle at the left and right. I already have a single U2311H, having 2 more would be awesome :sneaky:

RaistlinZ

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
I like a clean field of view when gaming. Bezel panels segmenting my view does not give me the feel of immersion. Go for one large monitor, IMO.

Mistwalker

Feb 9, 2007
Thanks for the responses so far!

As for me I'll vote for the Dell U2311H x3 for an Eyefinity setup. The IPS panel should prevent any problems with its is being made to view at a slight angle at the left and right. I already have a single U2311H, having 2 more would be awesome :sneaky:
I really wanted to try something other than 16x9, but these panels just make so much sense from a "what you're getting for the price" standpoint.

I like a clean field of view when gaming. Bezel panels segmenting my view does not give me the feel of immersion. Go for one large monitor, IMO.
I'd feel much more comfortable getting the U3011 and just gaming on that if I could comfortably add a pair of smaller panels for a PLP setup when not gaming. The problem is there are absolutely zero 1600x1200 panels that would serve as nicely complementing "wings" for sale here, curse Dell for not selling 2007fps anymore...it's entirely possible I'd be happy with just the one monster, it's hard to say without being able to sit in front of one.

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005
Go with 3 monitors for gaming. People who think the bezels break immersion probably haven't experienced it cause you don't even notice them when gaming. Turn off your side monitors though and suddenly the immersion is gone because you are now looking out a single window instead of being outside.

It can actually be very beneficial too. League of Legends I can see from 1 base to the other without panning on 3v3. CoD is amazing but unfortunately you may frequently get accused of cheating when they see their killcam of your ungodly speed of shooting them when they came "into view" when infact you saw them much sooner.