GameStop: Return Policy

StarsFan4Life

Golden Member
May 28, 2008
This is my LAST transaction with GameStop....ever.

I pre-ordered Battfield: BC2 on the first day the pre-order was available (it was only available from GameStop at the time). I paid for overnight shipping.

Yes I know....why couldn't I just wait....I know....I've been told many times to never shop with GameStop.

So, this past weekend (I think Friday) I was finally charged....but not for overnight shipping like I had originally ordered.

I contacted them via email (since their phones were off for the weekend) and they told me that there was nothing that they could do, since it was already packed, labeled and ready to be loaded on the truck....so they pretty much slapped me in the face and told me it would be 5-10 days before I received it.

F that!

So, I tried to cancel, and they refused to cancel it even before it shipped.....pretty freakin shitty if you ask me.

So, it shipped.....USPS snail mail....and won't be here until next week. So tonight, I will order it on Steam like I originally should have and will return the GameStop purchase.

My question is simple - can I purchase online and return to a local GameStop?

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
I don't see why not. Preordering games, if you haven't noticed already, is retarded.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
I think they'll let you return an unopened copy to the store. Been a while since I bought anything other than used console games for < $10 at a GameStop.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
Yeah just take your invoice and the sealed game to a local Gamestop. As has been stated, preordering PC games is a waste of time, but if you are going to, do it in person, not online.

spaceman

Lifer
Dec 4, 2000
the days of moi leaving my chair for a pc game are over
gamestop sucks now anways

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
It's not Gamestop's fault. If you want something the day it's released, pre-ordering it and have it shipped just doesn't make sense. There's so many things that can go wrong.

Pre-ordering is good for games that you really *really* have to have right at midnight at release day, and it's not available for download anywhere. Yes, this option means you go and stand in line for a couple hours around midnight to pick it up. But you *must* have this game right away, right?

If you can wait until the morning of release day, then your best option is: Walmart (or other such stores)

If you don't want to go out to the store and buy it, then you don't really want it as bad as you think.

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
It's not Gamestop's fault. If you want something the day it's released, pre-ordering it and have it shipped just doesn't make sense. There's so many things that can go wrong.

Pre-ordering is good for games that you really *really* have to have right at midnight at release day, and it's not available for download anywhere. Yes, this option means you go and stand in line for a couple hours around midnight to pick it up. But you *must* have this game right away, right?

If you can wait until the morning of release day, then your best option is: Walmart (or other such stores)

If you don't want to go out to the store and buy it, then you don't really want it as bad as you think.

There's no game important enough to be waiting in line for, that's just ridiculous. It's not like a Black Friday situation where you could be saving a few hundred bucks.

JE78

Golden Member
Jun 6, 2004

I gotta agree here. I would never pre-order a game to have it shipped to me, I pre-ordered BC2 for in store pickup just so I was certain to get one and picked it up an hour ago. I don't know where you live but isn't there a Gamestop, Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy around you that you could drive or get a ride to?

As for the return as long as you don't open it I don't see what the problem should be. I doubt you'll get the S&H fee refunded but if it was only shipped USPS it should be that much anyway. You could probably return it to your local Gamestop too.

cronos

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
There's no game important enough to be waiting in line for, that's just ridiculous. It's not like a Black Friday situation where you could be saving a few hundred bucks.

Well apparently some people think otherwise, or there would be no line at all :D

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Or you could have preordered at gamestop and simply selected in store pickup.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Yea. Esp pc gamers. They've done more to kill pc gaming than the developers. Anyways I've nothing good to say about 'em 'cept I hope the two near me are replace with a better retailer.

I am always baffled to find that people still buy games at GameStop.

MStele

Sep 14, 2009
On many a release day I found gamestop sold out of their limited order then went to Bestbuy or Walmart and found them overflowing with it. Unless you want a limited run collector's edition, there is no real reason to preorder. This is my opinion, but if your one of those people that absolutely must have a particular title in your hands within the first seconds of release, you might want to reevaluate what your goals in life are. :p

I find that if I wait till the friday after release then it gives mea chance to see the early reviews. I find I waste far less money on bad games this way.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Preorders these days are all about the preorder bundles. Most games are giving retailer-exclusive bonuses, which are the only incentive to preorder the game. It's a shame really.

gimmewhitecastles

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2005
Gamestop is just another pawn shop. They rake in more money from used game sales.

Everything they do is so shady. Especially when they slap a "New" sticker on the display case after they insert the cd they took out from a cabinet and then charge you full price. Ass-hats.

Stay away at all costs.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Gamestop is just another pawn shop. They rake in more money from used game sales.

Everything they do is so shady. Especially when they slap a "New" sticker on the display case after they insert the cd they took out from a cabinet and then charge you full price. Ass-hats.

Stay away at all costs.

And then if you end up not wanting the game and never touched it you can't return it cus it's opened

MStele

Sep 14, 2009
And then if you end up not wanting the game and never touched it you can't return it cus it's opened

Not only that. If a game comes with keys to unlock certain components, there is no way they can guarantee that an employee didn't write it down and use it or give it away. If you buy an MMO from them,always check to see if its the original seal or not. They will actually reseal PC games and sell them as sealed in some cases. I was burnt on more than one occasion because an employee opened it up, stole the key to open an account, then seal it back up. They deny it of course, but its obvious considering you can't even return open games. What else could it be?

raisen

Feb 28, 2010
Just curious.. How much did you pay for overnight shipping? That probably costed you half of the price of the game?!

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Not only that. If a game comes with keys to unlock certain components, there is no way they can guarantee that an employee didn't write it down and use it or give it away. If you buy an MMO from them,always check to see if its the original seal or not. They will actually reseal PC games and sell them as sealed in some cases. I was burnt on more than one occasion because an employee opened it up, stole the key to open an account, then seal it back up. They deny it of course, but its obvious considering you can't even return open games. What else could it be?

I use to be a manager at a Gamestop back in 03 and I can tell you that was definitely happening. Had to fire someone for that.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
Wow, the retardation in this thread is amazing. I only shop at Gamestop when it's convenient (almost never), but at least *I* know how the damn store works. First of all, it's meant to appeal to parents, not gamers. Look at it that way and all of a sudden it makes sense.

Stay away at all costs.

Your first point is correct, your second is, but you make it sound like something sinister took place. Gamestop receives games. They removed the discs, and put the empty case on the shelf. The dis is never played, and is just re-inserted into the case when someone wants to buy it. Can you think of a way for them to accurately display their inventory if they're using fake boxes and art sleeves for everything? Didn't think so.

100&#37; false. Opened games get a clear sticker put on the spine at the time of purchase. It means the same thing as shrinkwrap to Gamestop. If it is intact, the game is unopened. Return it all you want.

This one was pointless to even mention, because this can happen at ANY retailer. There was a guy at a local Walmart of mine that got busted with stealing cd keys out of sight of the cameras and then just resealing game boxes.

Anyone else have anything witty they think they know? Again, I don't even shop at the godforsaken place, but at least I don't make up shit to justify it.

gimmewhitecastles

Golden Member
Mar 2, 2005
Your first point is correct, your second is, but you make it sound like something sinister took place. Gamestop receives games. They removed the discs, and put the empty case on the shelf. The dis is never played, and is just re-inserted into the case when someone wants to buy it. Can you think of a way for them to accurately display their inventory if they're using fake boxes and art sleeves for everything? Didn't think so.

cheap ass tactics is still cheap ass tactics. The disk still get scratched as they move new disk to temporary envelop. This isn't exactly Intel laboratories. And as dust settles they can get scratched again when they move disk back into display case which was touched by germy hands of whiny kids. Seriously look at those display cases next time you visit Gamestop. Full of dust and moldy.

MStele

Sep 14, 2009
This one was pointless to even mention, because this can happen at ANY retailer. There was a guy at a local Walmart of mine that got busted with stealing cd keys out of sight of the cameras and then just resealing game boxes.

In this case the employee was blatantly stealing, but retailers other than Gamestop don't open the game boxes out of fear of a few shop lifters. Up until recently, Gamestop opened ALL PC games and removed the contents and left the empty boxes on the shelf. They stopped doing this in the past year and i'm sure it is because partly of theft within the stores and partly because people were refusing to buy opened software (as they should). They still do it with console games though. They argue its because of shoplifters. I think its stupid. They could easily place a laminated place holder on the wall with a printout of the box on the front/back. As far as syncing it with inventory, thats what managers or for. I will never buy an open copy as new, console or PC. Unless you literally have another sealed copy to compare to, you can't possibly know if anything is missing.

Oh, and an "open sticker" on the spine? Yeah, after the box has been handled by hundreds of people and possible thrown around and dropped who knows how many times, lets put the icing on the cake by getting a sticker placed on the spine on the box. Oh..and lets charge the same price as if it was sealed, brand new out the shipping box. BS.

This, among many reasons, is why I don't shop at Gamestop.

SR1729

Jan 11, 2010

How is charging the OP for o/n shipping but then shipping it USPS *NOT* Gamestop's fault?

If you purchase o/n shipping, you are entitled to o/n shipping and are entitled to raise hell if o/n is not processed.

PieIsAwesome

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2007
Why is the cheapest shipping option so slow? I have sold games before and use USPS first class. Costs like $2 and takes 2-3 days (1 if in the same state).