Gamespy shutdown??? What does mean for me?

tyler811

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
okay so I get GS is shuting down but I have not been there in years. I hace recently started a new BF42 server through gameservers.com Felt like going old school for a while. I know the server listings in BF42 is hosted by GS but other then that I do not get.

Someone enlighten me please.

Last edited:

GullyFoyle

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2000
EA working to save 'Battlefield' series from GameSpy shutdown

April 12, 2014
In response to the anticipated shutdown of GameSpy, EA is working to transition the Battlefield-series on to Origin servers.

Responding to a user question on Twitter on April 10, a spokesperson for Origin confirmed that EA is working save the classic Battlefield-games by transitioning them from GameSpy servers to Origin servers. The tweet stated, "We're working on transitioning those games after the shut down so you'll still be able to play them."

This means that Battlefield 1942, Battlefield: Vietnam, Battlefield 2, and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 will not be affected by the shutdown. However no word on plans to save the Medal of Honor-series.

The announcement comes several days after Reddit published a list of games that would be affected by the GameSpy shutdown. However given that over 100 games rely on GameSpy servers to host their online online games, the list may be incomplete.

IGN.com has confirmed that Rockstar Games and Activision will not be affected by the shutdown. Meanwhile Bohemia Interactive is in the process of transitioning its remaining titles from GameSpy to Steam servers.

Nintendo however will be abandoning titles that rely on GameSpy servers while SEGA, Volition, and Namco Bandai have begun looking into their options. They could try looking for alternative servers or abandon them if its not financially viable.

GameSpy is scheduled to be shut down on May 31, 2014 and unless the publishers have switched servers the games will no longer have an online multiplayer feature. This will not affect a games single player campaign.

Any mod based on these games is affected too.

Last edited:

tyler811

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2002
Again there is nothing to save other then the ingame browser. After gamespy shuts down, my server will still be up and running.

GullyFoyle

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2000
That is a pretty crucial part, isn't it? If there is no server browser, how will anyone join, or even know about, your server.

rstrohkirch

Platinum Member
May 31, 2005
That is a pretty crucial part, isn't it? If there is no server browser, how will anyone join, or even know about, your server.

Gametracker.com is pretty popular for older and newer games. It's how I browse for COD4 whenever I feel like playing. It has 160 bf1942 servers registered right now.