Gamespot fires (allegedly) editor for poor review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
They didn't like the "tone" of his review.

They're spending a lot of money on the promotion of the game that they should've spent making the game great.

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Lothar
Originally posted by: mjuszczak
Gamespot's PR release on the issue.

:roll:

Dead link

Gerstmann, GameSpot part ways

After nearly 11 years of news, reviews, and previews, editorial director's tenure ends; GameSpot editors address controversy surrounding his departure.
By Staff, GameSpot
Posted Dec 3, 2007 9:18 pm PT

The past week marked the end of an era at GameSpot. After over a decade in a variety of editorial roles, Jeff Gerstmann's tenure as editorial director has ended.

"Jeff was a central figure in the creation and evolution of GameSpot, having written hundreds of previews and reviews, and anchoring much of our multimedia content," said Ricardo Torres, editorial director of previews and events. "The award-winning editorial team he leaves behind wish him nothing but good luck in his future endeavors."

Due to legal constraints and the company policy of GameSpot parent CNET Networks, details of Gerstmann's departure cannot be disclosed publicly. However, contrary to widespread and unproven reports, his exit was not a result of pressure from an advertiser.

"Neither CNET Networks nor GameSpot has ever allowed its advertising business to affect its editorial content," said Greg Brannan, CNET Networks Entertainment's vice president of programming. "The accusations in the media that it has done so are unsubstantiated and untrue. Jeff's departure stemmed from internal reasons unrelated to any buyer of advertising on GameSpot."

"Though he will be missed by his colleagues, Jeff's leaving does not affect GameSpot's core mission of delivering the most timely news, video content, in-depth previews, and unbiased reviews in games journalism," said Ryan MacDonald, executive producer of GameSpot Live. "GameSpot is an institution, and its code of ethics and duty to its users remains unchanged."

Tune in later in the week to hear editors' tributes to Gerstmann on the HotSpot podcast and GameSpot's weekly Webcast, On the Spot.

So all they have said is that it had nothing to do with the advertisers but we can't actually tell you what it had to do with....riiiiiigh.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
Why doesn't the editor say anything?

Negotiations for severance would preclude him spelling the beans.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
That's why editorial reviews are such bs... i like reading user reviews much more.

imported_Lothar

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2006
Originally posted by: dighn
Originally posted by: mjuszczak
Gamespot's PR release on the issue.

:roll:

Dead link

lmao guess they pulled it. all the comments were highly hostile.

it's too late though. their reputation is thoroughly ruined.

Yep. Here are some comments.

"wow, such spin. I hope the truth comes out, for I know not what to believe. But, if reviews are for sale - I want a re-imbursment for all the games I bought based on the reviews from this site."

"Stfu gamespot.... i've just canceled my subscription. kiss my ass and gtfo"

"From all the reviewers I trusted.... (like I have lots... nah!) You had to fire Jeff.... WHat has happened to this website I thought gamespot was one of those really rare websites where you could see reviews with an objective point of view, not that fanboy bull(youknowwhat) around there on the web..
Man... I can't believe it. WHat have you done...
WHAt happened with the video? We want answers not lies CNET, speak the truth... We deserve it!!
"

"I'll take 8.0 for $500 Alex..."

"If this is not advertising related, then why edit the written review and remove the video review... I'm sorry Gamespot, but you are not doing a good job at covering it up. I already cancelled my account, but since I just renewed it, I still have almost a year to trash this "objective" gaming site. What a load of lies..."

"sorry Cnet but you pulled the video review and fired him. that looks suspicious to anyone with a brain. Your press release here doesn't answer to that issue and your "ethics" are still suspect."

"Right, our reports are unproven, but so are yours. This was your chance to prove us wrong, but you failed. You are a disgrace. You should just close the site down, it is an insult to the gaming community."

"I'll take 9.0 for $2,000, Alex..." (This guy is on a roll) :laugh:

"game over gamespot. i'd love to see how many of your paid subscribers have canceled their accounts today. i can gaurentee you I am one of them."

""part ways" What do you mean, "part ways?"
That sounds like a mutual decision, a voluntary leaving. Jeff was fired from his position was he not? Why the sugar coating if said action was right and validated? When you fire someone do you usually give a tribute to them?
"

"You total idiots. Jeff was the only reason I used Gamespot. The absence of an explanation for his leaving makes me shudder. One less subscriber here."

"Lies. How stupid do you think we are? If there was a f*cking "cancel my free account button" I'd have pushed it four days ago. Can anyone help me with that?"

"Unbelievable!! Ive been a reader of Gamspot for over 8 years and a subscriber much of that, and I honestly can say this is the last post i will ever make on Gamespot, wether Cnets lying or not...theres just not enough reason to stay anymore......so long,,,,,,"