Games you like from genres you don't

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Skurge

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2009
I hate RPG. The only game i liked was the final fantasy series, especially Final Fantasy 8 on the PlayStation. . . maybe cuz I thought it had an awesome storyline.

Wardawg1001

Sep 4, 2008
I dislike racing games, but have had some good times with a couple of the Need For Speed titles.

I've disliked almost every MMO I've tried, but I did spend a lot of time with Ultima Online (OSI and free shards), and sunk a ton of hours into Shadowbane as well.

I also dislike sports games, except the Madden series, but that may be just a side effect of me disliking all sports other than football.

tk149

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2002
I usually don't like racing games, but I find Mario Kart (Wii) a lot of fun.

mazeroth

Golden Member
Jan 31, 2006
Originally posted by: Via

MMORPG - Asheron's call is one of my favorite all-time games, thought WoW was fun

I'm right there with you. Bought it right when it came out and played the crap out of it for about 7 years. Had multiple 150+ accounts. Played on Frostfell. Where did you play?

EDIT: I saw your later post. I did have a 205ish character on Frostfell named Mazzy. Crossbow guy I used to macro down in the Olthoi dungeon. Also made a MagicD/Life/Bow waaaay back in the day named Maza. Sold him at 168, I believe. He was a god back then.

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
Originally posted by: CurseTheSky
To be honest, I can hardly think of a genre I don't like.

Turn based - loved civ and aplha centauri, LotR 2
RTS - loved AoE, Settlers etc
Racing - love F1 and NFS series
sports - love golf, hockey, soccer
MMORPG - Asheron's call is one of my favorite all-time games, thought WoW was fun
Space sim - loved Freelancer and now X2
RPG - my favorite genre, have loved countless games
FPS - loved Deus Ex, FEAR etc
Sim-type - loved sim city

The only genres I haven't tried at all are mech games and flight sims.

If you want to get specific I detest football games. The deep passing (and passing in general) is always too easy and running is always artificially difficult. But I did pick up Madden 2005 for Xbox and enjoyed an NFL game for a while at least.

I also detest online-only shooters, mostly because of the puck-ass bitches that ruin those games for everyone. So if I actually find one I like it'll be the first.

Amen. I'd still be playing if the server population was what it used to be. Absolutely best game I've ever played.

What server?

Damn, it's been a while. I think my main char was on Frostfell or Leafcull (I think that's what it was called).

I had a Sho Blademaster that I leveled up into the low 40's.

Man I loved that game. It wasn't just the game play. It was the community.

I agree that it was definitely about the community. I was on Morningthaw (Fade-To-Black, Aluvian Mage), and we at least 4-5 couples that met in the game and ended up happily married in real life. I still talk to one of the couples occasionally, and they're doing great. I walked away with several solid friends that I talk to weekly myself. I think I played from 2001ish until late 2006. I finally quit because the population was thinning out too much for my tastes, and most of the population that was left seemed to be focused on grinding for levels.

Turbine really had a great formula with that game. There were no classes, so you could fill whatever roll you decided to; almost everything could be solo'd if needed, but bringing along friends just added to the fun; they didn't release a new dungeon every 3-4 months that made all current gear pale in comparison; they actually controlled story characters in live events that made so many people gather around it would crash the land block; etc.

I miss those days. :(

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Originally posted by: vj8usa
I used to hate turn based strategy games, but then my friend convinced me to give Civ4 a chance. I can't stop playing it now.

well, you're fucked now. better go ahead and quit the job/school before it ends nasty. ;)

as for me: COD4

I despise FPS--the genre that ruined games in my mind; but I love COD4. (uh...have it on PS3 though...)

Vampirrella

Golden Member
Apr 5, 2001
Not really a fan of racing type games or racing sim games, but i recently tried out an arcadish racing game called Burnout paradise on PC and ended up playing it a lot. It kinda grew on me, snuck up on me like a sucker punch, lol

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
For all you guys who claim to dislike racing games you should probably give Test Drive Unlimited a shot. Its a little like Grand Theft Auto with less crime and more exploring. You can casually wander around the Big Island and take in the scenery. At your discretion you can enter race events or buy junk or buy cars or even houses. They let you do the same race over and over again if you like, just to make money and experiment with different cars. You can also tune your cars and paint them any color or colors you like, except for the Maserati MC12. They dont let you paint that one for some reason.
Gay.

Anyway, if you can't get a windows demo then try renting it for Xbox 360. Its the exact same game. And I use the 360 controller when I play it on my computer.
I should also mention that the default controls and handling are newb-friendly, but hardcore fans can change that.

eggrolls

Oct 11, 2006
I don't like RTS, mainly because I'm terrible at them. Yet Warcraft 3 is probably my 2nd most played game. Custom maps FTW.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
I'm generally not big into RTS games, but Company of Heroes holds a special place in my heart. Starcraft too, of course.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
Originally posted by: shortylickens
For all you guys who claim to dislike racing games you should probably give Test Drive Unlimited a shot. Its a little like Grand Theft Auto with less crime and more exploring. You can casually wander around the Big Island and take in the scenery. At your discretion you can enter race events or buy junk or buy cars or even houses. They let you do the same race over and over again if you like, just to make money and experiment with different cars. You can also tune your cars and paint them any color or colors you like, except for the Maserati MC12. They dont let you paint that one for some reason.
Gay.

Anyway, if you can't get a windows demo then try renting it for Xbox 360. Its the exact same game. And I use the 360 controller when I play it on my computer.
I should also mention that the default controls and handling are newb-friendly, but hardcore fans can change that.

I agree - TDU is a great game.

TheKub

Golden Member
Oct 2, 2001
Simple\puzzle type games but I love PuzzleQuest.
Racing games but enjoy Mario Kart
Hate sports games but played the crap out of NBA Jam back on the Genesis.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Not a big RTS fan but really liked LotR: BfME II and the DoW franchise. Strangely I didn't care for Company of Heroes. Gave it a shot, played a few maps. Not sure if I tried other WWII rts's but I might simply be partial to non-realistic war RTS. I get the difference between melee units and distance units, but once you start bringing out machine gun units and mortars and rocket launchers and snipers and I have to figure out which distance unit is best suited against opposing distance units, i lose interest.

Have no interest in point n click adventure games but eagerly purchased and enjoyed both Penny Arcade games.

Don't care for sport sims except Pro Evo.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
My favorite football game is Tecmo Bowl. I haven't played a football game since.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Not big on Single player RPGs, Fallout series games (including 3) are all among my favorites. Fallout 1 and 2, I'd admit that they are better games, they last longer, and I got "more" out of them than 3, but 3 was a LOT of fun, just didn't have nearly the replay value as 1 & 2.

Mattiee

Sep 9, 2009
Probably Fallout3. Games like that I usually never go through to the end. FO3 kept me entertained the entire time