Games with Romance

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Originally posted by: BladeVenom
Originally posted by: Martimus
The Witcher does have a romance subplot. It also allows you to be somewhat of a manwhore. There are around 20 or so women you can sleep with in the game, while only two are actually involved in the "real" romance subplot. Some of the 20 have interesting stories and ways of seducing them that are fun, while others are just cheap sluts.

Some of them were expensive sluts. ;)

True. ;)

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Originally posted by: Dorkenstein
Nothing says "romance" in Mass Effect better than having your xenophobic lover waste an alien teammate by just nodding your head.

Yeah, I loved how cruel you can be to your teammates.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: lifeobry
KOTOR did it best from what I've played so far. Bastila broke my heart :(

. . . KOTOR's romance was kinda light. The romances in BG2 will take the crown in any romance title.

Though Torment didn't exactly have a romance per se, the flirtation was still excellent.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Max Payne 2 is probably the top because its all about his love. Not so much traditional romance like dating and writing poems. More like dark, angry love. The kind you know will end badly for one or both of them.

Max Payne 1 had very little. It was mostly about his inablility to deal with losing his wife. He felt very little for Mona in the first game.

ja1484

Platinum Member
Dec 31, 2007
Originally posted by: tigersty1e
I'm in the middle of Mass Effect and I like how the romance is turning out (please don't give away spoilers or talk about this romance).

It's a nice change from the CS, BF2, run-and-gun I'm used to.

What other games out there have a nice romance?

(note: I don't mean sex)

lol, um, none of them?

Game romances don't even closely approximate the real thing. I like how "romance" consists of "quickloading until you pick the right dialogue tree".

Honest game mechanics would consist of "quickloading until you've bought her enough shit to get laid".

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
In Jade Empire if you played your cards right you'd wind up with both of your female party members. You had to be extra nice and you couldn't go down the evil path. And it only worked if you were male (ie no lesbian threesomes I guess, although you could individually hook up with either of the women).

Romance is not exactly a selling point of any game, but it always provides an interesting side story.

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: ja1484
Honest game mechanics would consist of "quickloading until you've bought her enough shit to get laid".

Wow... your life must really suck to even joke about that :p

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The Witcher does have a romance subplot. It also allows you to be somewhat of a manwhore. There are around 20 or so women you can sleep with in the game, while only two are actually involved in the "real" romance subplot. Some of the 20 have interesting stories and ways of seducing them that are fun, while others are just cheap sluts.

The story can make him romantically involved with a main female character, but he still goes around sleeping with every other woman he finds.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Originally posted by: AdamK47

The story can make him romantically involved with a main female character, but he still goes around sleeping with every other woman he finds.

Collect all the cards!