Games with Romance

tigersty1e

Golden Member
Dec 13, 2004
I'm in the middle of Mass Effect and I like how the romance is turning out (please don't give away spoilers or talk about this romance).

It's a nice change from the CS, BF2, run-and-gun I'm used to.

What other games out there have a nice romance?

(note: I don't mean sex)

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Star Wars KOTOR 1-2, Neverwinter Nights 1-2, Baldur's Gate II & ToB, Jade Empire (I think, haven't played it yet)

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons
Star Wars KOTOR 1-2, Neverwinter Nights 1-2, Baldur's Gate II & ToB, Jade Empire (I think, haven't played it yet)

LOL all Bioware

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Bioware games always have a romance, for some reason. A little bit of social interaction is nice, if the devs do it well.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
All the Bioware and OE games do, to my knowledge. I am not not certain about Jade Empire, I didn't get very far into it. It wasn't up to Bioware's usual quality and level of polish.

Edge1

Feb 17, 2007
Max Payne 2.

"Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne is a violent, film-noir love story for mature audiences. Dark, tragic and intense, the in-depth story is a thrill-ride of shocking twists and revelations. Love hurts. The fans of Max Payne won't be disappointed."

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
I am not not certain about Jade Empire, I didn't get very far into it.
It does, just very shallow compared to BG2 (although not so bad as in NWN1's OC, although it does exist). It is also hurt by the fact that you can only have one other person in your party. Although, it is possible to do "two at once," IIRC (never tried it myself). NWN1: Hordes of the Underdark is the only one to contain a semi-decent romantic subplot of the official Bioware content. Plenty of free player made Romance mods around.

Originally posted by: TheVrolok
Baldur's Gate II.

To expand this game's content in that department:
Romantic Encounters
Flirt Pack

Pheran

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Bateluer
All the Bioware and OE games do, to my knowledge. I am not not certain about Jade Empire, I didn't get very far into it. It wasn't up to Bioware's usual quality and level of polish.

Wow, you must be kidding, I LOVED Jade Empire. It's one of the very few games I played through twice to different endings. Also, if you play your cards right it allows to have a menage-a-trois. :evil: :D

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Originally posted by: Edge1
Max Payne 2.

"Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne is a violent, film-noir love story for mature audiences. Dark, tragic and intense, the in-depth story is a thrill-ride of shocking twists and revelations. Love hurts. The fans of Max Payne won't be disappointed."

Max Payne 2 is the most romance driven game that I can remember playing. The Witcher is another one that was heavy on romance as well. (Make sure you get the Enhanced Edition which fixes the originally poor english translations. Also the international version keeps all the romantic quests alive that were removed in the US version.) All of the Bioware games I have played had some romantic underpinnings as well.

tigersty1e

Golden Member
Dec 13, 2004
Originally posted by: Martimus
Max Payne 2.

Max Payne 2 is the most romance driven game that I can remember playing. The Witcher is another one that was heavy on romance as well. (Make sure you get the Enhanced Edition which fixes the originally poor english translations. Also the international version keeps all the romantic quests alive that were removed in the US version.) All of the Bioware games I have played had some romantic underpinnings as well.

How was Max Payne 1 in terms of romance and overall gameplay?

And do you need to play Max Payne 1 to enjoy part 2?

And is Witcher an actual romance subplot or just cyber boobs?

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
Nothing says "romance" in Mass Effect better than having your xenophobic lover waste an alien teammate by just nodding your head.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Originally posted by: tigersty1e
Max Payne 2.

How was Max Payne 1 in terms of romance and overall gameplay?

And do you need to play Max Payne 1 to enjoy part 2?

And is Witcher an actual romance subplot or just cyber boobs?

Max Payne 1 does have some romance involved, but it is mostly about revenge for his family. It is Max Payne 2 where the romance is really an integral part of the story line. I would play and finish Max Payne 1 before starting Max Payne 2 though. The second story does indeed build on what happened in the first.

The Witcher does have a romance subplot. It also allows you to be somewhat of a manwhore. There are around 20 or so women you can sleep with in the game, while only two are actually involved in the "real" romance subplot. Some of the 20 have interesting stories and ways of seducing them that are fun, while others are just cheap sluts.

MrWizzard

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
Originally posted by: Frodolives
Tribes Vengeance campaign is practically a soap opera lol.

You know I never really thought about it till now.....lol it really is.

Yea you have to play max payne 1 before 2 makes 2 a lot better and deaper.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
The Witcher does have a romance subplot. It also allows you to be somewhat of a manwhore. There are around 20 or so women you can sleep with in the game, while only two are actually involved in the "real" romance subplot. Some of the 20 have interesting stories and ways of seducing them that are fun, while others are just cheap sluts.

Some of them were expensive sluts. ;)