Games to play with young kids (4 yr old)

Knavish

May 17, 2002
Hi all

I'm looking for suggestions of games to play with young kids. To give you an idea, I've had some success with Plants vs Zombies (the original), Kerbal Space Program (which degenerates into watching rockets blow up after about 5 minutes), and arcade-y racing games like Asphalt 8 (I generally prefer to skip pay-to-play type games but it has pretty good graphics).

As you might expect, I'm avoiding violent games. I've wondered about some of the Lego games, but the Marvel Avengers game I saw in a Microsoft store was bit too much shooting. In my opinion, games based on PG-13 content, and most PG content would be out of bounds for a 4 year old! :)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
-Knavish

Feb 25, 2011
Chutes and Ladders?

Or do you mean, like, computer games? Shoot... most of that dev work is on Tablets now. Computers are for grownups.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Scribblenauts Unlimited would probably work well. Have the kids think of the items to use and you type them in. $5 on steam right now.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Maybe Rocket League, Yooka-Laylee, Snake Pass, or Rayman Legends.

But those may be too 'complex' for a 4 years-old, although I'm not sure. I would recommend that you go on Steam and browse games with a manually-typed Family Friendly filter, then check it and see the refreshed list of such games. I'm certain you'll find something there. In any case, you can usually watch at least one or two 'intro' clips on the game's store page just in case the pictures don't give enough details on what the game would be like in motion. I don't have kids myself, but one of my friend has a 5 years-old daughter and she fell in love with Rayman Legends. Then again, everyone would fall in love with Rayman Legends (you might end up liking it way more than your kid, lol, no joke).

Asmodeus

Jun 26, 2017
Mario Kart
Super Smash Bros
Epic Mickey
Little Big Planet
Lego Star Wars
Bejeweled
Pac-man

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
666f41f4b3f7d01bb56f5495203bb625.jpg

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Peggle. It was free on Origin awhile back. Easy enough for kids to figure out even if it's just randomly releasing the ball.

Contraption Maker is only $1.40 on steam now. It would be hard for a 4 yr old but not if you're there to give hints.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
My daughter started playing Minecraft at 5 but my 2 year old son is starting to play now. He just runs around atm but watching me and his sister means he is picking things up faster.
My daughter also plays Portal Knights which is a bit like Minecraft but much nicer on the eyes.

Both games do offer combat but it is simplistic with no blood or anything. Minecraft can be played in creative mode which does away with combat.

Lego worlds has fighting as well. My daughter never liked it much though.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
i was thinking Worms would probably be fun...

So would angry birds.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
Hmmm at that age, start with Manhunt, then give the Suffering a shot, followed by a spot of Condemned.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
This. Call me crazy, but I don't think kids that age should be sitting in front of a monitor or mobile device playing games.

I was just gonna post this. I dont think kids that young should be infront of a screen. They are just figuring out the real world.

ronbo613

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2010
This. Call me crazy, but I don't think kids that age should be sitting in front of a monitor or mobile device playing games.

Some might call you "old fashioned", but you wouldn't be the only one. You can sit in front of a computer your entire life, you're only a kid once. Not crazy at all.

Reactions: JSt0rm

renz20003

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2011
Hi all

I'm looking for suggestions of games to play with young kids. To give you an idea, I've had some success with Plants vs Zombies (the original), Kerbal Space Program (which degenerates into watching rockets blow up after about 5 minutes), and arcade-y racing games like Asphalt 8 (I generally prefer to skip pay-to-play type games but it has pretty good graphics).

As you might expect, I'm avoiding violent games. I've wondered about some of the Lego games, but the Marvel Avengers game I saw in a Microsoft store was bit too much shooting. In my opinion, games based on PG-13 content, and most PG content would be out of bounds for a 4 year old! :)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
-Knavish

Start em off with the classics, super Mario bros