Games that should have had sequels

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
How about an engine upgrade and re-release? Not just better graphics, but also level enhancements where needed and better network code.. Battlezone 2 with a working coop would be awesome.

Thief 1+2
Tie Fighter
Battlezone 1 + 2
Kings Quest 8
Jedi Knight
Unreal 1
Age of Empires 1 + 2
Witchheaven
Blood
TA
NOLF
Daggerfall
Dungeon Keeper
Master of Magic
Red Baron
Rainbow 6

Comic book movies seem to be redone to death.. but we hardly see classic PC games remade

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
Freespace 2 and Homeworld 2 big big big time. No more epic space games left that are worth playing.

Oct 30, 2004
Freespace 2 and Homeworld 2 big big big time. No more epic space games left that are worth playing.

Have you ever heard of Sins of a Solar Empire? It rocks for online multiplayer PvP (especially 4v4 and 5v5) and many people enjoy it in single player. It's sometimes been described as a 4x-RTS combination of Homeworld and Galactic Civilizations.

A stand-alone expansion (Rebellion) is slated for release towards the end of the year, which means you can purchase all of the content of the original game and the three expansions in one single shot (it's like a Sins-2). Here are links to two reviews of the original ("vanilla") game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY-NSNhgydY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyDX1CmKzCU

Definitely check this game out, it rocks. The strategy is very, very deep, especially against human players in online multiplayer.

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
Have you ever heard of Sins of a Solar Empire? It rocks for online multiplayer PvP (especially 4v4 and 5v5) and many people enjoy it in single player. It's sometimes been described as a 4x-RTS combination of Homeworld and Galactic Civilizations.

A stand-alone expansion (Rebellion) is slated for release towards the end of the year, which means you can purchase all of the content of the original game and the three expansions in one single shot (it's like a Sins-2). Here are links to two reviews of the original ("vanilla") game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xY-NSNhgydY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyDX1CmKzCU

Definitely check this game out, it rocks. The strategy is very, very deep, especially against human players in online multiplayer.

Ah I have Sins and played it thoroughly to death, but thanks for the reminder, I'll have to fire up a game tomorrow. Definitely one of the hardest games I've ever played. Great depth. Almost too deep. I'd really still prefer a Freespace 3 just to find out what the fuck happened at the end of the 2nd game!

marmasatt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2003
What about System Shock 2? And don't say Bioshock or Doom III. They were close but just didn't feel the same.....

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I'm still waiting for the announcement of a proper Dragon Age: Origins sequel. I just started playing Dragon Age "2" recently and I have yet to understand the connection between about 90% of Origins/Awakening/Witch Hunt and it (at least so far). It's just not a "sequel", DA2 should have been titled differently but of course the thought that it might be a sequel (before being released) helped with the hype ("guys! we're going to see what happens from where Origins or even Awakening left off!").

I want a DIRECT sequel, I want to see MY Warden right when the game starts just like in Witch Hunt, assuring me right when it begins that it follows not only MY character imported from Origins/Awakening but the events related to multiple characters and story acrs unique to them. Now THAT would be a "sequel", a real Dragon Age 2 (in which again we'd be able to play different races and be able to chose from a few origins). What made Origins truly unique was even beyond its rich lore and memorable characters, it was something as simple as a key game-play feature, namely the origins themselves, how many games allow you to start in its universe from various locations, cultures, contexts?

I want a damn DA:O sequel godammit.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
I'm still waiting for the announcement of a proper Dragon Age: Origins sequel. I just started playing Dragon Age "2" recently and I have yet to understand the connection between about 90% of Origins/Awakening/Witch Hunt and it (at least so far). It's just not a "sequel", DA2 should have been titled differently but of course the thought that it might be a sequel (before being released) helped with the hype ("guys! we're going to see what happens from where Origins or even Awakening left off!").

I want a DIRECT sequel, I want to see MY Warden right when the game starts just like in Witch Hunt, assuring me right when it begins that it follows not only MY character imported from Origins/Awakening but the events related to multiple characters and story acrs unique to them. Now THAT would be a "sequel", a real Dragon Age 2 (in which again we'd be able to play different races and be able to chose from a few origins). What made Origins truly unique was even beyond its rich lore and memorable characters, it was something as simple as a key game-play feature, namely the origins themselves, how many games allow you to start in its universe from various locations, cultures, contexts?

I want a damn DA:O sequel godammit.

You might get your wish:

http://beefjack.com/news/bioware-we-must-improve-upon-dragon-age-ii/

Bioware is finally admitting that DA2 sucked. Who knows if DA3 will actually be an improvement or if this is just PR to try to bring back some disgruntled Dragon Age fans, but I doubt they'll make the same mistakes again. At least I hope not.

JoshGuru7

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2001
I can't come up with a single sequel that I would like to see. They have all either been tried already, or I would rather the developer took things in a fresh direction. I know plenty of people are down on Bioware, but I liked the new directions in ME1 and DA1 more than if they had simply gone with sequels on existing IPs.

Planescape: Torment is intriguing, but I really think it was better as a single entry. They didn't need to add anything to the story and another original IP would have been more interesting than a sequel. Lots of the games mentioned have had sequels, just not ones that the poster in question liked. That should give pause for thought for some of the other sequels people are asking for.

The remake I would like to see is UT'99. Identical gameplay with current day graphics and improved server management, incorporating the most popular mods and maps that people came up with over the years. Fixes on the assault maps to eliminate launching.

Teknic

Aug 26, 2010
Wow, reminds me of some great games. Here's my list
  • Shogo
  • Crusader: No remorse/regret
  • Jagged Alliance 2
  • Syndicate
  • Mirror's Edge

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Wow, reminds me of some great games. Here's my list
  • Syndicate

Syndicate had a sequel, Syndicate Wars. Still we need a new syndicate. Nothing else out there is really like it. Rumor has it that Starbreeze Studios is producing a new game based on the Syndicate franchise, but nothing has been heard about it in a while.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
I love that I'm not the first person to see this and immediately think "Dragon Age".

Scouzer

Lifer
Jun 3, 2001
10Six
Simcity 4 (A decade without a sequel is no sequel to me)
Tribes
Dungeon Keeper

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
I love that I'm not the first person to see this and immediately think "Dragon Age".

DA2 was good in my opinion but it should have been called Dragon Age: The Kirkwall Stories. The name DA2 should only have been given to a story about the warden chasing after Morrigan. And wrapping up the intelligent darkspawn story from The Calling and Awakening.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Draken Order of the Flame on PC. Back in the day, I really liked that game...What really steamed me was the sequel came out for console only (I think Play Station) and was a hashed up mess that no one bought. I too liked Undying, and still have the CD.

Jimmah

Golden Member
Mar 18, 2005
Syndicate had a sequel, Syndicate Wars. Still we need a new syndicate. Nothing else out there is really like it. Rumor has it that Starbreeze Studios is producing a new game based on the Syndicate franchise, but nothing has been heard about it in a while.

I STILL play Syndicate Plus, I try to go through it once or twice per year but try different tactics.

FS3, I would buy 3 copies just to have spares.

Mechwarrior 3. MW4 was a little slice of hell for me, MW3 had the best mission intro's I've ever seen.

Total Annihilation, Supcom was an OK try, but didn't keep to TA's roots.