Games like Black and White

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I've always regarded B&W as the one series alongside Vigilante 8 that I wish they had kept up with. Unfortunately, I don't believe we will ever see a decent B&W remake that actually captures the heart and soul of the game.

Anyways, I've been on an RTS kick lately and since Crate is taking their sweet ass time with the final release of Grim Dawn (supposed to have been in February but no word on B31 yet), I've moved back toward some RTS games. In the process of digging up my Supreme Commander discs, I found my old B&W 2 disc and decided to play through it one more time and I had forgotten how fun the game was and it got me to thinking about how that specific style of game never really surfaced again.

Now, before anyone mentions Reus, I own the game on Steam but it didn't feel like B&W. Before anyone mentions Godus, I played the game and it was really bad and if you don't believe me, just go take a look at the Steam store page and look at the Mostly Negative reviews the game is getting. I loved Populous on the SNES and Godus resembles Populous more than B&W and even then they are doing everything wrong. It boggles my mind how someone can screw up a Populous remake, but somehow Godus is doing just that.

So, does anyone have any recommendations for a game like B&W or am I forced to reinstall B&W/B&W2 and play through those again? Not that I mind playing them again, it would just be nice if there was something new in that specific genre to play.

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
That game series was unique and there really aren't any obvious alternatives. Peter Molyneux has been chasing heart and soul ever since, but only manages to piss everyone off. I purchased B&W at release but it never really did anything for me. B&W was very experimental which is unfortunate because developers are taking fewer chances with those types of games. I think if Godus does well and Molyneux sees some profit you might see a B&W3.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Have to agree with Anteaus. There just isn't anything (that I know of) that's similar to B&W. One of my all time favorite games. Quite unique.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I think if Godus does well and Molyneux sees some profit you might see a B&W3.

That's a nice sentiment, but the game is barely treading water. I don't see many games with Mostly Negative for their review score, but when one receives that score, it's generally justified - especially with over 5,500 reviews.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
I played B&W II and loved it. I still load it up now an then. I would like check into other games like it as well

Blitzvogel

Platinum Member
Oct 17, 2010
I would like to see BC finished and released. B&W2 was fun, never played the first.