Games launch to black screen, EVGA Precision X is the culprit.

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
Just thought it was interesting, a handful of my games, like Far Cry 3, and Sniper Elite would launch to a black screen and never load.

This started happening shortly after I installed my GTX Titan, and changed my monitor.

Through alot of trial and error, I found that the games would fail to launch when EVGA Precision was active.

More specifically, I found that if EVGA Precision was loaded AFTER windows booted, the problem was also fixed.

So now the solution is to make sure Precision doesn't boot with windows, and run it afterwards.

Just thought it was rather bizarre, and wanted to share, in case anyone else was having that problem.

My version is 4.0

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
That is odd. Did you experience this with your previous GTX 670s? I don't have this behavior with my setup which is SLI 670s. Maybe it's related to EVGA Precision interfacing with the drivers specific to the Titan (for clock speeds and whatnot). Should be an update soonish if it is widespread.

Nice heads up though.

fixbsod

Jan 25, 2012
I still have an issue where if I upgrade to the latest Precision my eVGA GeForce 580 runs at max clocks all day long. Using 2.9.x? or something which was the initial version when the computer was new works fine. So I haven't tried any newer precisions needless to say.

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
That is odd. Did you experience this with your previous GTX 670s? I don't have this behavior with my setup which is SLI 670s. Maybe it's related to EVGA Precision interfacing with the drivers specific to the Titan (for clock speeds and whatnot). Should be an update soonish if it is widespread.

Nice heads up though.

Can't really say, because I only upgraded to the newer Precision 4.0 when I installed the Titan.

Eymar

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2001
I haven't seen the launch to black screen problem, don't have those games, but played Crysis3, Dirt3, Hitman:Absolution, Max Payne 3. Probably try Far Cry 3 once i finished up Crysis 3 and report back if I do. When I get home I'll check if the screens do blank out for a second (ie. like a resolution switch), but game still loads. I have 4.0 version as well and is set to boot with windows. I do have the OSD turned off (used logitech lcd applet for that).

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Can't really say, because I only upgraded to the newer Precision 4.0 when I installed the Titan.

After I finish downloading the new drivers and reinstalling sleeping dogs to do some performance benchmarks, I'll try and see if I get this after a restart.

notty22

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2010
I still have an issue where if I upgrade to the latest Precision my eVGA GeForce 580 runs at max clocks all day long. Using 2.9.x? or something which was the initial version when the computer was new works fine. So I haven't tried any newer precisions needless to say.
edit: Maybe not, unless they had k-boost back then?
There must be a config file that the program sees that is enabling that feature in Precision. It's called K-boost. I'm using 4.0 with a 660, and having no problems. I don't touch the voltage panel at all. I had to google K-boost when I saw it's option never heard of it.

K-Boost

forum post.

The K-Boost basically locks your core clocks and voltage at w/e you + them out too. I didn't like the boost feature anyway.

Last edited:

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
Maybe this problem is specific to the Titan ? Heck, I could be the only person to ever have to deal with this strange issue.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
edit: Maybe not, unless they had k-boost back then?
There must be a config file that the program sees that is enabling that feature in Precision. It's called K-boost. I'm using 4.0 with a 660, and having no problems. I don't touch the voltage panel at all. I had to google K-boost when I saw it's option never heard of it.

K-Boost

forum post.

Downside is you cannot get a GPU utilization reading when kboost is enabled(bad if you want to see if SLI is working correctly), it will also lock the voltage and clocks in 2D mode (so always on full blast when it's unnecessary).

Says you have to turn it off before uninstalling or updating drivers and it cannot be enabled with SLI (can turn SLI back on after restart). This seems a little unnecessary to me.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
I've had this issue with the Origin and afterburner overlays. After messing around I found the issues were related to how the onscreen overlay interacts with the DX9/11 output, it can sometimes cause crashes - so for a handful of games I hotkey the overlay and disable it prior to playing.

It is strange that in your case, it doesn't happen if you don't select the "load with windows" option.

Last edited:

notty22

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2010
Downside is you cannot get a GPU utilization reading when kboost is enabled(bad if you want to see if SLI is working correctly), it will also lock the voltage and clocks in 2D mode (so always on full blast when it's unnecessary).

Says you have to turn it off before uninstalling or updating drivers and it cannot be enabled with SLI (can turn SLI back on after restart). This seems a little unnecessary to me.

Yes, I wasn't recommending it, just pointing out it's existence. I find it easier to use the NV panel and the prefer max performance option, on games that have relaxed gpu usage at times, that trigger those lower states.
thanks

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Yes, I wasn't recommending it, just pointing out it's existence. I find it easier to use the NV panel and the prefer max performance option, on games that have relaxed gpu usage at times, that trigger those lower states.
thanks

Yeah, I just tested kboost and saw no performance gain when using it. Throttle didn't happen but it did not translate to higher fps measurements. At least nothing worth mentioning in crysis 3 anyway.