Gamer MySpace/Facebook?

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001
I am not a gamer and have absolutely no connection to the site but am posting this as I thought it might be of value to some of you.

The following article appeared in our newspaper recently:

Local gamer creates unique Web site

"Eli Cloud, 34, developed and owns www.zowned.com, a free-of-charge gaming Web site that now has more than 1,600 members around the world.

Think of a MySpace and Facebook combined for gamers."

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
...a free-of-charge gaming Web site that now has more than 1,600 members around the world.

Holy shit! Critical mass reached!

Seriously, this wouldn't be that bad of an idea. I've sort of been trying to find local gamers...so far, my best luck has been using steam.

40Hands

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2004
Originally posted by: chalmers
Originally posted by: videogames101
anything inspired by myspace isn't touching my web browser.

Agreed.

A site with members who can create profiles and meet other people or see what their friends are up to. Oh noes!! It's all the same!

:roll:

Piuc2020

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2005
Originally posted by: will889
Originally posted by: Piuc2020

Agreed.

You guys are pathetic.

Why would you think anyone that doesn't want to use myspace as pathetic?

Is there anything wrong with MySpace or the people who use MySpace? What's pathetic is how these people pass judgment on something just because it's similar to MySpace without even reading about it especially considering that, for it's intended purpose, MySpace is a great site.

will889

Golden Member
Sep 15, 2003

Agreed.

You guys are pathetic.

Is there anything wrong with MySpace or the people who use MySpace? What's pathetic is how these people pass judgment on something just because it's similar to MySpace without even reading about it especially considering that, for it's intended purpose, MySpace is a great site.

I don't consider it a great site at all, in fact I consider it the polar opposite. I guess if I were 15-18 and a super social butterfly that wanted to be seen I might use it some.

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
I don't consider it a great site at all, in fact I consider it the polar opposite. I guess if I were 15-18 and a super social butterfly that wanted to be seen I might use it some.

You don't have to be 15 or a social butterfly to enjoy using it. I find it's a decent way to keep up with friends I might not talk to or hang around all the time, family/friends who live in other states, etc.. You can set your profile to private so only people you allow are able to view what you have on there.

I'm surprised by the amount of people talking shit about myspace in the thread who obviously have no clue about it whatsoever.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006

Agreed.

You guys are pathetic.

It's not that, more the "OMFG THE WORD MYSPACE IS ON THE PAGE ALT-F4!!! ALT-F4!!!!!" reaction that is pathetic.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
The only reason to use Myspace is to get laid, and the reason to use Facebook is to keep in touch and network. I don't want to do either of those things with gamers!!

chalmers

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2008
One of my good friends has a Myspace and he's like, you should get one etc. - this was a few years back. I signed up (didn't make a page), looked around a bit, lmao'd, and haven't really been back since. I question the 30 somethings that think this is "socialization". For teens, sure...I can see it. For adults....they might want to consider getting out more.

And the whole 'keeping up with friends that I don't give a shit to hang out in real life' thing, that's somewhat paradoxical. Everyone thinks it's cool that you can reconnect with all these old people who you never really cared about in the first place. But as it turns out, there's a reason you lost touch with them in the first place?you don't really like them.

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
I question the 30 somethings that think this is "socialization". For teens, sure...I can see it. For adults....they might want to consider getting out more.

I don't see this at all. I remember when cell phones were getting popular, and people without them said things like.. "Why don't you just wait until you get home to call?" or.. "Why don't you just hang out with whoever you are talking to instead of wasting your time talking on a phone?" I bet those same people have cell phones now and use them everyday.

Myspace is just another way of communicating with people, like your cell phone, or e-mail, or writing a letter and dropping it in the mail.

Everyone thinks it's cool that you can reconnect with all these old people who you never really cared about in the first place. But as it turns out, there's a reason you lost touch with them in the first place?you don't really like them.

Considering that in many cases these so called friends that you never cared about may live in different states/countries, have busy lives, etc.. I don't see how something that might help you keep in touch is doing any harm.

I have no problems with people not wanting to use a service like myspace, to each his own, but some of the reply's in this thread are simply ignorant and based purely off stereotypes.

chalmers

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2008
Originally posted by: mindcycle
I question the 30 somethings that think this is "socialization". For teens, sure...I can see it. For adults....they might want to consider getting out more.

I don't see this at all. I remember when cell phones were getting popular, and people without them said things like.. "Why don't you just wait until you get home to call?" or.. "Why don't you just hang out with whoever you are talking to instead of wasting your time talking on a phone?" I bet those same people have cell phones now and use them everyday.

Myspace is just another way of communicating with people, like your cell phone, or e-mail, or writing a letter and dropping it in the mail.

Everyone thinks it's cool that you can reconnect with all these old people who you never really cared about in the first place. But as it turns out, there's a reason you lost touch with them in the first place?you don't really like them.

Considering that in many cases these so called friends that you never cared about may live in different states/countries, have busy lives, etc.. I don't see how something that might help you keep in touch is doing any harm.

I have no problems with people not wanting to use a service like myspace, to each his own, but some of the reply's in this thread are simply ignorant and based purely off stereotypes.

I agree that Myspace can be somewhat analogous to emails, cell phones, or writing letters, but here's the annoying difference.

I log on there, and I'm spammed with a bright, unorganized glittery bunch of pictures and wallpapers everywhere, while some annoying song that I don't care about blares out of my speakers or into my headphones. Try as I may, it takes me 10-15 seconds to search through this garbage to turn it off.

Then I read comments people leave for others, most of them being large pasted pictures of semi naked dudes or gals saying 'HAVE A NICE WEEKEND!' Ugh.

Or the surveys these people are filling out, with such intellectually stimulating questions as: "Who is the second person in your cell phone with the last name starting with 'B', or 'What did you eat for breakfast yesterday?'. Second Ugh.

I could go on, but those are the differences as I see them, and I feel I know enough about myspace and its culture to criticize it intelligently.

will889

Golden Member
Sep 15, 2003

You don't have to be 15 or a social butterfly to enjoy using it. I find it's a decent way to keep up with friends I might not talk to or hang around all the time, family/friends who live in other states, etc.. You can set your profile to private so only people you allow are able to view what you have on there.

I'm surprised by the amount of people talking shit about myspace in the thread who obviously have no clue about it whatsoever.

No clue? You have no idea. Chronically off base (in my case) - while I may be stereotyping a bit, granted, you're also stereo typing those that you think don't have a clue.

To each their own.

Piuc2020

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2005

I agree that Myspace can be somewhat analogous to emails, cell phones, or writing letters, but here's the annoying difference.

I log on there, and I'm spammed with a bright, unorganized glittery bunch of pictures and wallpapers everywhere, while some annoying song that I don't care about blares out of my speakers or into my headphones. Try as I may, it takes me 10-15 seconds to search through this garbage to turn it off.

Then I read comments people leave for others, most of them being large pasted pictures of semi naked dudes or gals saying 'HAVE A NICE WEEKEND!' Ugh.

Or the surveys these people are filling out, with such intellectually stimulating questions as: "Who is the second person in your cell phone with the last name starting with 'B', or 'What did you eat for breakfast yesterday?'. Second Ugh.

I could go on, but those are the differences as I see them, and I feel I know enough about myspace and its culture to criticize it intelligently.

I never said I personally liked MySpace (I don't) but it's a good site for what it is. The same users of MySpace could come on AnandTech and bash it for the "ridiculous nerd fights over computers" or whatever. That's the internet, that's life, learn to be tolerant and live with it.

It's like hating Madden for the stupid ball throwing and the annoying play calling just because you hate American Football.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
The only reason to use Myspace is to get laid, and the reason to use Facebook is to keep in touch and network. I don't want to do either of those things with gamers!!

Amen. I know many gamers I went to high school with (graduated in June) and I would not want to hang out with many of them. Some of them are my closest friends, but others are just...strange.

shingletingle

Jun 30, 2007
One of my good friends has a Myspace and he's like, you should get one etc. - this was a few years back. I signed up (didn't make a page), looked around a bit, lmao'd, and haven't really been back since. I question the 30 somethings that think this is "socialization". For teens, sure...I can see it. For adults....they might want to consider getting out more.

And the whole 'keeping up with friends that I don't give a shit to hang out in real life' thing, that's somewhat paradoxical. Everyone thinks it's cool that you can reconnect with all these old people who you never really cared about in the first place. But as it turns out, there's a reason you lost touch with them in the first place?you don't really like them.

I guess if you're going to use stereotypes as fact, then I can safely make assumptions about you. You are posting in a PC Gaming forum, so you must play PC games. I imagine you live in your mother's basement playing WoW all day and have no life. You post on message boards all day, like anandtech. Sooner or later you are going to act out violently towards people because games make people do that. I know all this because you are a PC gamer.

chalmers

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2008
Read my last post in this thread before this one. I present a clearer picture as to why I think myspace is lame. Also, almost any opinion anyone has on anything in this world is based on some kind of assumption.