[Gamegpu.ru]Overwatch gpu performance

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
Alright, I fired her up on my laptop, A Core i5 6200U with HD 520 and 8GB of ram. Playing the game @ 720p - Medium settings averaging around 40-50 FPS. Not too shabby. I'm seeing around 70-80% usage on all four threads and the GPU stays pegged at 100%. system memory usage was around 5.5GB, and VRAM usage around 530MB.

Seems to be very well optimized, and the game is extremely fun, even on newer Intel HD graphics. Next test, the 1st gen Intel compute stick :) Seriously doubt it will run because of the memory requirements.

Last edited:

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
Yup, and unlike Overwatch, it's DX12 and requires modern hardware for 1080p for 60 fps, not a low-end GTX960/4.5-year-old 7970. And it'll look miles better than Overwatch too, precisely the type of 2016 game people go out and buy new $300+ GPUs for.

forza-motorsport6apex.jpg

Just because a game doesn't require modern hardware doesn't mean it isn't great. PC games used to have game play first motto earlier and thankfully that resulted in some timeless classics.There is literally a couple of companies who can even come close to the level of polish Bliz put into their games, just because it is DX 12 and needs a Titan X to max @ 1080P doesn't make it a good game period.Even at it's infancy we have enough broken DX 12 games already.

Feb 19, 2009
^ Yes indeed. In 2015, most of my gaming enjoyment came from indie titles. A few from pixel art titles that runs on a craptop.

But we buy hardware and we like to use/abuse the hardware to the max. Thus, DX12 is progress. Only a handful of major titles per year really push the graphics enveloped. It's better if our GPUs are capable when it's needed in these new demanding next-gen games.

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
Blizzard games do run better on NV (a few years back they had journalist go to their studio, and all the rigs were NV powered as expected). But it runs well on AMD as well. It's not like other GimpWorks games where the gap can be hilarious. haha

Yep, Blizzcon had hundreds of machines, all Nvidia sponsored with GeForce branding everywhere and Nvidia had booths and giveaways there. Didn't see anything AMD.

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
^ Yes indeed. In 2015, most of my gaming enjoyment came from indie titles. A few from pixel art titles that runs on a craptop.

But we buy hardware and we like to use/abuse the hardware to the max. Thus, DX12 is progress. Only a handful of major titles per year really push the graphics enveloped. It's better if our GPUs are capable when it's needed in these new demanding next-gen games.

For sure, I like pretty graphics too but not at the expense of game play. It all comes down to money though, more time more polish more eye candy, sadly most of the studios are pretty much budget constrained though.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Just because a game doesn't require modern hardware doesn't mean it isn't great. PC games used to have game play first motto earlier and thankfully that resulted in some timeless classics.There is literally a couple of companies who can even come close to the level of polish Bliz put into their games, just because it is DX 12 and needs a Titan X to max @ 1080P doesn't make it a good game period.Even at it's infancy we have enough broken DX 12 games already.

I didn't say anything negative about Overwatch's gameplay or Blizzard's strategy of making games on outdated game engines that allows their games to be accessible to as many people as possible. Blizzard makes some of my favourite games. My point is, because their games can run on ancient and low end hardware, they aren't generally the types of games that require high end hardware or upgrades, unless you are hardcore and using 4K for Blizzard or play pro @ 120-165Hz. I know this game will probably outsell many DX12 games easily but that still doesn't mean people will be buying Polaris 10, GP104 for it. It's games like Battlefield 5, Forza 6, Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Cyberpunk, The Witcher 3, GTA V that drive GPU upgrades.

Ma_Deuce

Jun 19, 2015
Yep, Blizzcon had hundreds of machines, all Nvidia sponsored with GeForce branding everywhere and Nvidia had booths and giveaways there. Didn't see anything AMD.

Do you really expect to see any AMD advertisements at Blizzcon?

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
It's a common myth. The difference between medium vs Ultra in games? Some. The difference between MAX texture quality + medium vs Ultra in games? Almost nothing.

But your frame rate can be doubled or even more.

Suggest you watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmsoIIMGZ00

For anyone interested in running 4K but worried they don't have SLI 980Ti or CF Fury X.. don't be. As long as your GPU has good bandwidth and vram to max out textures without performance impact, you're good to go.

A big screen 4K with my max/medium settings gives better IQ and MUCH better immersion factor than a smaller screen w/ Ultra, I'm loving it in all the recent AAA games.
I'm mind boggled aa to how people are still trying to stick with 1080p in 2016

pj-

May 5, 2015
I have every setting manually jacked to max, except AA, and am getting 110-120fps most of the time at 1440p with my OC'd 980ti.

Super fun, super polished, super pleasant to look at.

Feb 19, 2009
Yeah super fun game. I am really impressed with class balance especially since they all have unique playstyles, but all the ones I've tried, are effective.

Blizzard onto a winner, Overwatch is going to be the new E-Sports go-to.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I can't believe I didn't know about this game. I absolutely loved the CRAP out of TF2 and played it to death for a long time. I think I will go right ahead and get this game. It performs great and its good to see 780ti's doing so well, especially in SLI and slotted in their correct performance bracket right where they should be. NICE I can't wait to try this game.
Also, regarding graphics vs gameplay, I have always been a GPU/graphics freak and love pushing things, but lately all I have been playing, and all I want to play is rocket league.

You can run Rocket League on a:

EGWTju2.png

Last edited:

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
Do you really expect to see any AMD advertisements at Blizzcon?

I saw:

Logitech, Gigabyte, Nvidia, Intel, Newegg and a handful of others so why not? Or are you implying because Nvidia and Blizzard are so cozy why would we see AMD?

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
Here is my attempt to benchmark this game for anyone that might have any use for it (warning for spicy wallpapers on both videos)

Overwatch 1920x1080 Epic GTX 970 @1.5Ghz Core i5 2500k @4.8GHz - 110fps

Overwatch 1920x1080 Epic 7950 @1.1Ghz CORE i7-860 @4GHz - 63fps

These two are not directly comparable. Different maps and all. Still the performance seems to be around there for all maps I managed to see.

Here are the frametimes spent below 16.7ms and cpu usage for both runs. I expected worse on the 7950 system, because of the AMD's driver having higher overhead and all, but it seems to be doing fine. On the other hand hyperthreading is cheating in graphs, but I have seen much "worse" anyway.

Overall quite fun, very smooth. Not exactly my cup of tea, but still very good. Some decent coding has gone into this game.

Also this is the first DX11 game I have played from Blizzard.

ps I baked my second also broken 5850 yesterday. Don't know if it works yet. The first one did and gave it to a friend. If it works I will try to test Overwatch on this oldie as well.

Last edited:

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
ps I baked my second also broken 5850 yesterday. Don't know if it works yet. The first one did and gave it to a friend. If it works I will try to test Overwatch on this oldie as well.

it works OK, I mean if I used textures higher than low it starts having problems, but other than that I increased some stuff from low to medium and it's still hitting the 60FPS.

I think it still looks and plays well.
I would be curious to test the game with a 4870 which is also supported but it's not even a dx11 card.

Spjut

Apr 9, 2011
it works OK, I mean if I used textures higher than low it starts having problems, but other than that I increased some stuff from low to medium and it's still hitting the 60FPS.

I think it still looks and plays well.
I would be curious to test the game with a 4870 which is also supported but it's not even a dx11 card.

The DX11 API has feature level 10_0/10_1 to be able to keep compatibility with the DX10 generation, so while those cards are old by now, it's not that surprising that they'd be able to run a relatively undemanding modern DX11 game

I'm not surprised that the GPU requirements are low. And historically, Blizzard's games have been punishing for the CPU.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Game looks badass. Will buy.

Also@poof, I heard you can connect two of those TI's together for better performance:D High end TI baby!1!

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
The DX11 API has feature level 10_0/10_1 to be able to keep compatibility with the DX10 generation, so while those cards are old by now, it's not that surprising that they'd be able to run a relatively undemanding modern DX11 game

I'm not surprised that the GPU requirements are low. And historically, Blizzard's games have been punishing for the CPU.

still, a lot of DX11 games don't work with those cards,
also, while the HD4800 is supported, the equivalent DX10 Nvidia cards are not, like a GTX 285 should be easily better than a 4890, but it's on the unsupported list for some reason.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003

Did you notice In post #66 how performance is not so good on "high" settings with nvidia cards? But seems fine in every other setting? Weird ha?

Edit: vs AMD cards

Last edited:

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
I can't believe I didn't know about this game. I absolutely loved the CRAP out of TF2 and played it to death for a long time. I think I will go right ahead and get this game. It performs great and its good to see 780ti's doing so well, especially in SLI and slotted in their correct performance bracket right where they should be. NICE I can't wait to try this game.
Also, regarding graphics vs gameplay, I have always been a GPU/graphics freak and love pushing things, but lately all I have been playing, and all I want to play is rocket league.

You can run Rocket League on a:

EGWTju2.png

Almost :) I did get it to run on A first gen compute stick, but barely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1lkAQ3vbFg