Discussion Game Stop Stock Short Squeeze

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Heh, you can see where our current administration sits on this type of stuff.

The new press secretary for Biden is HOLY-SHIT box of rocks level of stupid.

Seriously. Get a counter for the number of times she says "Uhhh I'll circle back with you on that one". It's off the charts.

OMG BIDEN !!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111111111111111111

Wonder why the VI didnt quote this part

*washes the retard off*

Anyway. Starts at 1:07 ->

Is this true? They sell Jimmy's trading data to the hedge funds? And they then use that data to screw Jimmy out of money? That cant possibly be legal!

Last edited:

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Heh, you can see where our current administration sits on this type of stuff.

The new press secretary for Biden is HOLY-SHIT box of rocks level of stupid.

Seriously. Get a counter for the number of times she says "Uhhh I'll circle back with you on that one". It's off the charts.
Too bad she doesn't just lie and make stuff up, right?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
They might have cut a deal with the lenders. “We borrowed these at $20; we’ll pay you $40/ share to close the contract. If you hold out for current value, see you in bankruptcy court in five or ten years.”

Remember, if I owe you a hundred bucks, that’s my problem; if I owe you a million, that’s your problem.

Reactions: Ajay

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
They might have cut a deal with the lenders. “We borrowed these at $20; we’ll pay you $40/ share to close the contract. If you hold out for current value, see you in bankruptcy court in five or ten years.”

Remember, if I owe you a hundred bucks, that’s my problem; if I owe you a million, that’s your problem.

That is not how it works. The brokerage can actually just liquidate the holdings to buy what is owed to them and the people that bought into the hedge fund can fight for the scraps.

Last edited:

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
That is not how it works. The brokerage can actually just liquidate the holdings to buy what is owed to them and the people that bought into the hedge fund can fight for the acraps.
And when none of that supports the current market price of the shares?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
And when none of that supports the current market price of the shares?

Broker that lend out the shares is the next one to go since they are the idiots that lend out their shares. They have to cover that loss themselves.

After the smoke clears, SEC will hopefully crack down and put up proper safeguards.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
right place at the right time with the right holdings...

Kid is lucky.
Not because he had a few stocks that shot up in value and got him some cash...but that his mother or parents are actually teaching him about financing and funds.
Most kids never get that kind of education, they don't teach it in most of our shitty schools.
100%. Such an central concept of the makeup of western democracies, a core component between the haves and have nots... Like that old Indian caste system. woooops.

Reactions: Pohemi

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
OMG BIDEN !!!!!!!!!!!11111111111111111111111111111111

Wonder why the VI didnt quote this part

*washes the retard off*

Anyway. Starts at 1:07 ->

Is this true? They sell Jimmy's trading data to the hedge funds? And they then use that data to screw Jimmy out of money? That cant possibly be legal!
Funny thing is the guy in this video rattles if all of the links between financial institutions and treasury secretaries. He credited Lew who was a career civil servant. Did he not look at Yellen's career? Outside of some speaking engagements she has spent her career in academia and as a civil servant.

Reactions: Pohemi

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Why not prohibit short selling altogether?
I’ve never understood why we would want to do that. I mean when people buy stocks (broadly speaking) they are doing so because they believe they are undervalued. Why prohibit them from acting when they think they are overvalued?

Reactions: Zorba

zzyzxroad

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2017
I’ve never understood why we would want to do that. I mean when people buy stocks (broadly speaking) they are doing so because they believe they are undervalued. Why prohibit them from acting when they think they are overvalued?
Because they are abused and are mostly now just a tool for establishments with missive wealth to profit off of companies that are certainly going to die?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Because they are abused and are mostly now just a tool for establishments with missive wealth to profit off of companies that are certainly going to die?
But the only way they can profit is if the stock is mispriced. Isn’t it valuable to correctly price stocks?