Game series you wish hadn't stopped or eagerly anticipating their next title

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

stahlhart

Super Moderator Graphics Cards
Dec 21, 2010
Half-Life, and Serious Sam (yeah, the latter is going nowhere fast, but I'm perfectly okay with where it's at now :) ).

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
X-Wing/TIE Fighter series
Thief
Rainbow Six (a REAL R6 game)
Ghost Recon (a REAL GR game)
Silent Hunter (get back on track guys)
Master of Orion (see above)
SWAT
Splinter Cell (it must be a Tom Clancy thing)
KotOR
Half-Life
Brothers in Arms
Shenmue!
A NON EA FOOTBALL GAME!!

also have to thow out...

Star Wars Jedi Knight
Sim City
Unreal (Not tournament, an actual quality sequel to the masterpiece original SP game)

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2008
There are several sequels I am looking forward to, but the one that I wish they had finished up was KOTOR. And no, TOR does not count.

Northern Lawn

Platinum Member
May 15, 2008
Was bioshock System Shock III? Well I liked bioshock but it was no where near what I remember from System Shock II.

Dec 28, 2001
Fallout - in the isometric 3rd person perspective kind
As for Fallout 3, it's Max-Max Oblivion as far as I'm concerned (excellent game, but not Fallout).

Kinda bemoaning the end of the turn-based tactics games genre in general.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
It has been forgotten long ago and with reason, but I have to mention the Turok series. The original, Dinosaur Hunter, was spectacular for its time. The sequel, Seeds of Evil, was an epic adventure the likes of which within the FPS genera at the time had never been seen before, and still remains very good to this day. Then, came Rage Wars, a surprisingly good multi-player focus take on the series quite capable to compete with the mammoths of the time such as Goldeneye 007 and Perfect Dark. And, then, almost unexpectedly Shadow of Oblivion's fast arrival took lots of people by surprise, but never managed to accomplish what T1 and T2 did, while decent on its own it just wasn't as good, instead being more of a common FPS shooter than anything else. Thankfully Evolution took the series back to its memorable roots and even explored new game-play mechanics, it was in my opinion almost as good as the original, not quite as good as the sequel, but definitely better than the third, although its story-line was weaker than Shadow of Oblivion's, and its ending extremely anti-climatic.

Finally, Turok 2008, the disgraceful Turok game that was called as such simply because it took place on a planet filled with dinosaurs and forests (as if it was enough for a game to automatically be labeled a Turok game, as if dinosaurs alone were the trademark of the Turok lore) made sure that no one ever cared about the series anymore, and acted like the last nail in the coffin, never to be heard of again. It was supposedly a series "reboot", out loud claiming that it shouldn't be linked with previous entries of the series, but who in their right mind would simply blindly ignore them and regard Turok 2008 as the new legitimate start? Did people suddenly forgot about Ultimate DOOM and DOOM II when DOOM 3 was released as a series reboot? No.

An actual sequel to Turok 2008 was in development when sudden layoffs at Propaganda Games forced the project's cancellation, thanks God!, workers lost their job, bad thing, but that it happened to be in relation to the continuity of the Turok series' bleeding was perhaps the best thing that ever happened to it since the release of Seeds of Evil. It ended abruptly and it was in my opinion a humiliating (I.E the 2008 release) stop for the series, only God (and perhaps Propaganda Games) really knows what might have happened had it resumed in the same veins. Today a new "proper" Turok game wouldn't interest the mass for many reasons, one of them being Turok 2008's failure and being the most recent title of the series in most gamers' memory, except for those who have played the first two on the Nintendo 64 when they were freshly released. And additionally, another entry in the series would most likely be a console port, which I'm sick of in general.

It's perhaps best that Turok Rest In Pieces erm... I mean Peace where it rests now in silence, forgotten, lest it comes back to stab himself to death (again) and trips on a couple of stones and falls down a high cliff in the process.

Last edited:

queequeg99

Oct 17, 2001
Half Life
A true Unreal sequel
Shogo: Mobile Armor Division

still looking forward to a Prey sequel as well.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I'm holding out for a third Homeworld that had better be more like the first one or like Cataclysm.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Wish there was a sequel:

Zone of Enders
Knights of the Old Republic (no, the crap MMO doesn't count)

Impatiently Awaiting sequel:

Diablo
Starcraft
The Elder Scrolls

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Ninja Gaiden.
I liked the classic and the newer ones, would love to see another if its well made.

Monkey Island...i fear the "Tales" episodes will be the last ever made

Myst series...i didnt like Myst V and URU was iffy at best. Seems unlikely for this series to ever get resurrected.

Ridge Racer series and Wipeout...damn i love Wipeout HD/Fury

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
No love for Master of Orion?

It has already been said 2 times in this thread. The problem I have is that the sequels that MOO had were bad. What is really needed is for them to remake the original game with better graphics and multiplayer support. With Civilizations being a success (at least on consoles) I'm not at all sure why this has not happened.

Anyway, if you are interested there is a freeware open source version of MOO in active development. www.freeorion.org

makken

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2004
Well, most of what I want to see has already been mentioned:

Half Life
Freespace
Descent
Homeworld
Unreal
Warcraft
Age of Empires
Carmaggedon
Raptor: Call of the Shadows

greenhawk

Platinum Member
Feb 23, 2011
Freespace
Mechwarrior (or Mech Commander as a runner up replacement)
Master of Orion (3 was promising to be good, but time/money had it butchered to a crap level - and still shipped with bugs).
Doom, but then #3 killed it for me
Quake, but 4 was too battlefield'e and 3 was a joke
Dungeon Seige 2/Dragon Age, but the recent versions of both (console ones) killed it

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
Freespace
Independence War (I-War)
Sim City
Mechwarrior (although apparently Tinker & Smith are now in the clear from the lawsuit and are still working on the reboot :))

Skunkwourk

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2004
Lucas forced Bioware to shit out KOTOR 2 in time for the holidays and it was a buggy incomplete mess.
It killed the franchise. We were always supposed to get closure with a third game and make a nice computer trilogy. But the whole project got axed. After that there was never any serious intention of making KOTOR 3.
Had Lucas been working on the project himself, you better darn well believe he would have crapped out a third game to complete the trilogy and make assloads of cash.
Of course in that case all three games would have sucked so none of us would cary anyway.

I agree the game was buggy, but it was actually done by Obsidian and not Bioware. Bioware was busy making Jade Empire.

I also miss Star Control. It ended with the 2nd for me.

RJRD2

Mar 10, 2000
railroad tycoon

I think railroad tycoon 2 + second century are great.

railroad tycoon 3 stunk along with all the other wannabe games like locomotion, sid meiers railroads, railroad pioneer and so on.

even the facebook game railroad empire is better than these wannabe games.

waitng for the ral deal railroad tycoon 4.

fallout and mechwarrior too.

Aug 11, 2008
Lucas forced Bioware to shit out KOTOR 2 in time for the holidays and it was a buggy incomplete mess.
It killed the franchise. We were always supposed to get closure with a third game and make a nice computer trilogy. But the whole project got axed. After that there was never any serious intention of making KOTOR 3.
Had Lucas been working on the project himself, you better darn well believe he would have crapped out a third game to complete the trilogy and make assloads of cash.
Of course in that case all three games would have sucked so none of us would cary anyway.

Despite the rushed release of KOTOR 2, there was a big demand for KOTOR 3. My opinion is that Lucas Arts/Bioware/EA felt that they could make a buttload of money from an MMO and abandoned the single player franchise to try to cash in on the WOW cash cow.
But as I already posted, I definitely wanted KOTOR 3 single player, not an MMO.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com
Zork.

railroad tycoon

I think railroad tycoon 2 + second century are great.

railroad tycoon 3 stunk along with all the other wannabe games like locomotion, sid meiers railroads, railroad pioneer and so on.

even the facebook game railroad empire is better than these wannabe games.

waitng for the ral deal railroad tycoon 4.

fallout and mechwarrior too.

If you could take the graphics of RRT3 and bring in the economy and game play of RRT2 I'd be in heaven.