Game recommendation

zmaster

May 22, 2005
hi guys,
an avid dota 2 player here (no time for anything else these days due to life and other boring things).
built a monster of a pc recently and was wondering if you could suggest a modern game that has elements (read storyline) and depth of old school classics like kotor1, age of mythology, might and magic (7 and heroes 3), vampire bloodlines, jedi knight academy/outcast.

i dont want anything too complicated but something i can spend an hour or two a night for a few months.
i tried oblivion, wasnt too impressed with the storyline (it was too shallow)
played dragon age, got bored with 2. same with mass effect.

thanks guys. this old timer appreciates any help

the unknown

Dec 22, 2007
The Witcher 3. Be warned though even the computer in your sig will strugle to run it at high graphics.

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
Skyrim is the latest in The Elder Scrolls series, but if you didn't like Oblivion you might not like Skyrim either. Fallout 4 will be out in another couple of months or so.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
FTL, Minecraft (ideally, with the 1.7.10 version of IndustrialCraft 2 Experimental), Terraria, Portal, GTA, the STALKER series with Complete mods, Amnesia, maybe some online gaming .. you should be set.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
I can second the Portal series, as it seems to tick all the requirements.

I'm going to throw in Dishonored.

Apathetic

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2002
As others have mentioned: Portal, Dishonored, and the Fallout series (Fallout 4 is due out in about 6 weeks).

Dave

Ichigo

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2005
you want to play witcher 3 this is the easiest answer. who cares if you can't max out graphics.

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
If The Witcher 3 is up for consideration that trumps everything for me. Shadow of Mordor and Alien: Isolation are two others I would suggest.

Speaking of Skyrim: I couldn't get into Oblivion either, but I ended up dumping almost 200 hours into Skyrim. I would suggest giving it a try even if you didn't like previous Elder Scrolls games. It gets some things right that Oblivion didn't that made it palatable for me. I could say the same thing for The Witcher 3 as well. Couldn't get into the previous Witcher games no matter how many times I tried, but TW3 sucked me right in.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
The Star Wars TOR MMO can be played solo ignoring the raids, and there are different class story lines for each type (Jedi guardian, sage; Trooper; Scoundrel; Sitth + Empire equivalents).

It's no KOTOR 1-2, but the class stories have some good moments.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
For uber nerds like myself, Elder Scrolls 3, 4, and 5 all seem very different. For casual players they feel almost the same. So if you dont like one you probably wont be in love with the other two.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
For uber nerds like myself, Elder Scrolls 3, 4, and 5 all seem very different. For casual players they feel almost the same. So if you dont like one you probably wont be in love with the other two.

Agree'ed never been so Immersed in a gem, but many will say its got no story, exploring a Dorf (Dwemmer?) ruins is so cool, not knowing anything about it half the fun, imagining what and why and so forth is what makes the ES games so great. The secret spots, etc.. The open world with some odd thing every 100 feet is damn cool.

but On Topic, while its not a machine killer Lords of Xulima was a pretty dang good RPG, as was Divinity Original Sin.