Game of Thrones prequel canceled! Long live the Game of Thrones prequel...

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/george-r-r-martin-weighs-in-on-game-of-thrones-prequel-house-of-the-dragon/

That Game of Thrones prequel series that was to star Naomi Watts and Miranda Richardson, that was to be set thousands of years before the original series, that shot a full pilot episode in Ireland earlier this year?
Yeah, no, HBO cancelled that this week, confirming it would not move forward with the highly-anticipated series on Tuesday.

But HBO has green lit a new prequel and its written by GRRM!
House of the Dragon, a story that will revolve around House Targaryen and be set 300 years before the events of Game of Thrones.

um.. but GRRM still hasn't finished his next Game of THrones book, which is 5years late and counting :eek:

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
What pays GRRM more? Another HBO hit, or another book? I think the answer is clear.

OccamsToothbrush

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2005
I read Blood and Fire and it was AWFUL. Reads like the Silmarillion, only worse. Pretty much just a dry history lesson about unimportant people and events nobody cares about. GRRM just phoned it in, clearly pumped out to support a dragon-laden prequel with no care given to making it a compelling story or interesting characters. The people are props to support lots and lots and lots of dragons, I didn't care who lived or died. The sequel is set up to be the same sort of visual fluff that killed the original series.

Robert's Rebellion would have been a much more interesting story and it would have had the added benefit of dealing with familiar characters. But alas, there are no dragons in that story, so HBO probably never even considered it.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I read Blood and Fire and it was AWFUL. Reads like the Silmarillion, only worse. Pretty much just a dry history lesson about unimportant people and events nobody cares about. GRRM just phoned it in, clearly pumped out to support a dragon-laden prequel with no care given to making it a compelling story or interesting characters. The people are props to support lots and lots and lots of dragons, I didn't care who lived or died. The sequel is set up to be the same sort of visual fluff that killed the original series.

Robert's Rebellion would have been a much more interesting story and it would have had the added benefit of dealing with familiar characters. But alas, there are no dragons in that story, so HBO probably never even considered it.
Eh, I really enjoyed Fire & Blood. I don't mind learning about new characters. Looking forward to the new series! Just sucks that it'll be years before it's out (maybe around the time The Winds of Winter comes out).