Game keeps crashing.....

covert24

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2006
Everytime i start playing COD4, about an hour or so in the game just stops, the models go to like zero detail, screen turns black and just stays like that... My video card is not overheating as i have fixed the heatsink, i have tried both beta and non-beta versions of the driver, and have even run the game in safe mode to no avail. anyone know what could be causing this? i think its still the drivers but i don't know how i would go about testing to see what could be the problem???? Hopefully someone can shed some light on this

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
You don't know how to test if it's the drivers? Uninstall them, run driver cleaner, reinstall them. Make sure you're not overclocking your card. Even if it's not overheating, an overclock can still be unstable.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Run some other programs.

Run 3Dmark06 on the absolute highest detail settings, and have it loop forever.
Come back after 6 or 12 hours.
That should give us something to go on.

It may just be an issue with that one game.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I know you said it isn't temps, but it sure sounds like it is to me. I would think driver problems would manifest themselves right away. After an hour?... Sounds like temps.

covert24

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2006
well it idles at around 48-49 and loads at about 70. it was fine for a while when i first got COD but now all of the sudden its happening a lot and at such random times....

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: BladeVenom
Have you installed the latest patch?

i don't think that really matters because the patches haven't really done much and i don't recall anythign about fixing graphics issues.

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
More details please.
Are you playing on vista x64?
Was the game previously working fine or has it been this way since you first installed?
Did you made any software/hardware changes prior to when the problem began?

covert24

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2006
i was playing on vista ultimate 32 but the problem was even worse on there so i switched back to xp pr. still having the problem tho. it was previously working for a while on vista but all the sudden started doing this and has been doing ti ever since. same old stuff for both hardware and software.

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: covert24
My video card is not overheating as i have fixed the heatsink

What was the problem in the past with the video card? HS/Fan fail?

Sounds like video card issues to me, but you might also want to run memtest for a couple of hours on it tonight to see if there are any problems there.

What kind of PSU are you using?

covert24

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2006
the fan didnt fail or anything its just that it was idling at like 60*C so i pulled the black covering off of the top of the HS with the evga logo and stuff off and glued a 80mm fan right on top of the fins. idles at around 40*~50* now and loads at around 68*. I am using a Antec Neo HE 550w psu and will start running memtest on it right now and just leave it overnight. i have a headache anyway so ill just let it run while i take a nap......

covert24

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2006
alrighty update

Well i reinstalled my drivers for the hell of it and something bad happened.... I was playing COD4 and alt tabbed out to go back to the forums to check something. well the screen turned black and all the sudden a series of white lines were coming across the middle of the screen. kinda like linear static. here is a pic i took:
http://img140.imageshack.us/im...66/012208143900um9.jpg

so i went to guru3d.com and downloaded the DNA-Force modified drivers and it all seems fine now. ill post back if something happens.