Review Game: Hades

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
My wife wanted me to try this game (she likes watching me play video games), and while my initial impression through watching online videos (basic non-spoiler gameplay, reviews), was like a modern platform game (my gaming roots are from the Amiga, Philips G7000, Colecovision), I wasn't all that enthusiastic (I've tried playing those old games and they don't compare with more complex save-driven games IMO), but gave it a try.

I'm really impressed with it, I haven't played a game like this full stop. At a glance it's like a 'three lives' kind of game that people of my age will have grown up with, and when you've lost all your lives you start over (you're attempting to escape the Underworld), and you mostly lose anything you've gained in that attempt except some basic building block elements that incrementally make you stronger, different weapons you can change over to as you defeat end-level bosses, and - at least IMO - an extremely well-balanced system of ensuring you don't get overpowered while giving you enough to go on and making it a struggle as you go. Each escape is different, you can't just pick up the same per-escape upgrades, enemy tactics are different and sometimes are upgraded at key intervals.

Some games have a "now you've completed the game once, you can try again with some modified mechanics" element which TBH has never really lured me in to another immediate game completion. This game has that to an insane degree but the plot also revolves nicely around it, with optional character development and ways you can choose to make the game harder and give extra rewards.

I think I'm up to my fourth or fifth successful escape (out of something like 50 total attempts) and it's still got me hooked. Judging by YouTube videos I've barely scraped the surface of it.

You can buy the soundtrack (provided as FLAC and MP3) cheaply with the game purchase on Steam, check it out on say YouTube and see if it's your cup of tea.

PS: it does have an auto-save system in-built so you can quit after clearing a chamber, which normally is about one every few minutes.

Last edited:

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
This game is great, mostly finished it. I have 1 achievement left (sell legendary boon) and a couple of the prophecies left to get all the duo and legendary boons.

I have cleared up to 16 heat to get the 2nd skelly prize. Things get kind of crazy that high. I cannot imagine how to get the final prize, you need to clear it at 32 heat.

Played on controller. Seems natural to me for this type of game.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
@quikah what's your weapon of choice? So far for me the fists have worked best.

My highest clear is with the fists, but I actually like to play with the bow best. The second aspect is really neat, seaking arrows. I hate the shield, just cannot get the hang of that one.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I've played every Supergiant game that's been out and have been gifted Hades recently.

Will get around to playing it next year likely, but Its good to get a trusted opinion on it outside of the hypetrain.

Sounds like it has Supergiant's signature artistry, style, and production values aimed squarely at the Rogue-Lite genre. Sounds fun!

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Hades is hands down their best game to date. It's one of the few games out there that I finished 100% and then started a brand new file all over again. The dialogue and voice acting are the best they've ever done and it deserves every single award it's been given. Sorry, but I doubt you'll find a review that doesn't ride that hype-train because this is one of the few games that has earned every accolade and positive review.

Each weapon has its own play-style and some can take a bit to get used to, but they are all outstanding in their own right. I'm pretty sure I wrote up a review on Hades in the 2021 Backlog thread, but it's one of the very few games out there that I played with both keyboard/mouse and a controller. Using the bow and gun with the controller felt a little clunky for aiming but using the melee weapons with a keyboard and mouse was incredibly smooth.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
The last I checked, I had clocked >100 hours on this game. 13 heat is the maximum I've been willing to go so far with the fists. The bow's final aspect was one I finally could get behind and enjoy. @quikah I'm puzzled by your problem with the shield, my favourite aspect with it was the poseidon one I think, the blitz disc feature, I like to throw it, tell it to come back then run away from it, then I have a weapon of destruction following me around the map :) AFAIK I've completed the plot of the game now (though a depiction of the party would have been nice!).

After 16 heat being mentioned and the second skelly prize, I'm tempted to push on a bit further.