Game for Girl and I - Advice please.

mango123

Sep 1, 2012
OK So everyone, I am looking for a game for the girlfriend and I to play.

She has played WoW, Diablo 3, and some games like that with me. (NOTE: she doesn't have the highest coordinations of a gamer, so ideas like get BF3 are kinda out of the question. (although i would have picked it up had i seen the BF3 for 10$ sale earlier.)

I am looking to invest in a game that we both do not own that would give us a lot of play time (Looking for maybe 40 hrs, and it would have to be cooperative.)

Preferably something that will be fun to replay, maybe has multiplayer besides the coop.

SO with that said... some of my ideas were:
(we just picked up torchlight II, and love it. so, scratch that off the list of ones to get.)

Dead Island

Left for Dead 2

Killing Floor (we both got a guest pass and the game seems pretty fun so far, it seems like it might get pretty repetitive however)

Games like this is what I am looking for... Preferably cheap, not more than 30$... because I would need to purchase two copies.
Looking for what you guys would buy, and why.

(and no, I do not own any of those games I listed on the latter list, I have however played them. )

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
If she likes shooters but just doesn't have the best aim and reaction time, Planetside 2, once it's out of beta anyway, will have plenty of support roles such as engineer, or pilots flying big slow transports.

And Orcs Must Die 2 has co-op mode...!

raasco

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2009
How about the free 2 play Team Fortress 2?

Portal 2 co-op would be fun if you pick it up on the cheap. Not much replay value though.

ApexBoost

May 5, 2011
There's plenty of replay value with Portal 2, just grab user made maps on the Steam Workshop. Similarly with L4D2, there are tons of custom campaigns you can get on l4dmaps.com

mango123

Sep 1, 2012
I would say she "doesn't like shooters"
She would say "I like some games with shooting."

MW3/BF3/CS multiplayer + the girl = girl is mad and wants to play something else.

So I guess it's more of a thing of cooperative playing.

And yeah, we picked up TF2 free to play. I strangely didn't get into it much.

Survival and action and RPG are the main types of games I would like to play with her.

If it came down to Dead Island VS. Left for Dead 2, what would be the better buy?

(bonus points for if it is cross plat to Mac as that is what she has at home.
at my house, we play on my main gaming system and then my lappy with a m540 2g on it.)

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I'd say Portal 1 and 2, and many Indie type games like Trine or World of Goo. If not, maybe story-driven, more linear games like Mass Effect or Dragon Age (at least Mass Effect 1 and DA Origins). If not perhaps some free-to-play MMORPGs like DC Universe Online, or Champions Online. If not, and if subscription-based MMORPGs can be considered then maybe Rift or Tera, or just one purchase like Guild Wars 2 without monthly fees.

I mean there's a bunch out there really, but I think that just browsing Steam would give the best results, just check the Indie games category for a start.

AlexAL

Jan 23, 2008
Tons of co op options but how about those Lego racing games. They're a blast.

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
If you can wait a week, and go over budget, then the painfully obvious choice is Borderlands 2.

mango123

Sep 1, 2012
i already own a copy of borderlands 2.... dont have much interest in replaying the first half that I already have finished.

mango123

Sep 1, 2012
and i also already own a copy of guild wars, she has a character on my account.... im not so sure that we necessarily want to start playing another mmorpg really. we played a lot of wow, i played a good amount of guild wars.... im a little tired of the grinding grinding nature of those games.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Borderlands 1 and 2 don't require catlike reflexes, especially in co-op.

In BL 1 she can play the Siren who has the Phasewalk escape skill to get away when things get too bad.

BL2 will soon be introducing the Mechromancer class which has a skill tree especially for those less skilled in FPS.

i already own a copy of borderlands 2.... dont have much interest in replaying the first half that I already have finished.

Oh well. If not that, does she like Star Wars at all? She might like playing a Jedi Consular Sage in SWTOR, who is focused mainly on healing.

styrafoam

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Even though its a shooter Serious Sam is a lot of fun in coop. Not a ton of strategy in it, just point your gun and the swarm of monsters and shoot, step to the side when they reach you. Repeat.