Game connected but internet gone for everything else.

carsonwen

Sep 26, 2014
This problem started to occur a few months ago, never happened before that. There are 4 computers and multiple devices connected to a ASUS RT-N66U Router in my house. My computer is the only one not connected to the router, it is connected directly to the modem via ethernet cable. I have 60-70 Mbps of download speed and like 5Mbps upload, more than enough for gaming.

Up until a few months ago, I have never had problems with the internet like I have now.

Problem:
When playing an online game (Rift/Aion/WoW/ etc.), after a certain amount of time (anywhere from 15mins to a few hours), the internet will suddenly go out for everyone/everything except my game. Its not that only my computer has internet, because my computer also cannot connect to anything (web browser, youtube, or anything that requires internet), but I am still connected to the game. I will be disconnected from Vent if I was using it, and basically its like as if there was no internet, but my game is still working fine (no lag, no high latency) and I know because I can still talk to people and stay connected for hours. Restarting the router does not restore internet for everyone else. The only thing that will restore the internet in the house is if I exit the game. If I close the game client, I can suddenly connect to web browsers, or vent, and everyone else in the house who is connected to the router will get their internet back. If I restart the game, everything will be fine until this happens again.

So basically, its like the game is stealing all the internet from everything. Only the game has internet, nothing else, even the computer the game is running on can't connect to any program/web browser.

This doesn't seem to be a very common problem and I can't seem to find any help with this.
Yep, it happens with multiple games, not just a particular one.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
My computer is the only one not connected to the router, it is connected directly to the modem via ethernet cable.

Uhm, you do know that in order to share an internet connection, the ROUTER has to be plugged directly into the modem, right?

Otherwise, you have to pay extra for extra IP addresses.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Uhm, you do know that in order to share an internet connection, the ROUTER has to be plugged directly into the modem, right?
This.
Just how did OP have it setup, modem <->computer <-> router <-> other devices ? Not sure how that could have ever worked in the first place.

carsonwen

Sep 26, 2014
I have my computer plugged into one of the 4 ports on the modem. And My router plugged into another, which shares the internet to everything else in my house. So both my computer, and my router are plugged into the modem. Is this not suppose to work?

computer -> MODEM <-router <-other devices

Last edited:

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
That modem you have is a modem/router combo if it has more than 1 port. You likely have issues such as multiple DHCP servers and double NAT going on. What model modem/router do you have?

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Yeah, what nsafreak said.

You have a combo modem/router unit, most likely from AT&T I am guessing, since they offer that now.

So, fill us in on the exact combo modem it is, and we can go from there.
The ASUS RT-N66U is pretty nice, are you using that only for wireless ?

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Comcast offers router/modems too.

You need to post what type of modem you have. And you need to disable DHCP in the modem I believe. I have heard those router/modem combo units suck.