Gallup poll: 71% of Baghdad residents want US troops to stay several more months

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: SViscusi
Originally posted by: xxxxxJohnGaltxxxxx
Originally posted by: AndrewR
From AP Network News today. It's refreshing to hear the truth every now and again.

Did the NYT or the LA Times report Gallup's findings?

Why wouldn't they?

link

Of course they do, they would be scared spitless if left suddenly without protection. It's total chaos now. Even an invader gives order.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
"total chaos"...nice. "linky?"

My mistake. I should have said total chaos where there is no law enforcement in place. That went out the window when we invaded -witness all the looting. The US provides security.

The poll really tells us little. Security over chaos. Which do they choose?

This does not prove (or disprove) Iraqi fondness for us, more a measure of Iraqi pragmatism.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
How many people were polled? I cannot find any parameters about this poll, the gallup site requires registration. I have enough spam mail thank you very much!

dpm

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2002
They are bound to - the troops are about the only people providing any sort of order or security. In a way, it will be a good sign when they want us to go, because that will show that we've successful re-established civil society there.

However, this just reminds me of Afganistan, where the people were crying out for more peacekeeping troops outside Kabul, but we ignored them. I'm glad that we are doing the right thing in Iraq.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Originally posted by: lozina
How many people were polled? I cannot find any parameters about this poll, the gallup site requires registration. I have enough spam mail thank you very much!

That's what Hotmail/Yahoo/Excite/Mail.com/etc. are for.

Jan 12, 2003

Gallup usually uses N>1100, I believe.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: conjur

That's what Hotmail/Yahoo/Excite/Mail.com/etc. are for.

Hey, that's a great point there conjur- I never thought of using them for that! Thanks

But it turns out it's not just a registration process, you have to pay $94 to 'subscribe' to the gallop polls site!

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
We were in Bosnia for 6 years; how long do you suppose we need to stay in Iraq...6 months?
Until we can get the UN to take over. Anyway, my comment was about the Iraqi's polled. Andrew said they wished Americans to stay several more months. I bet if the question had been years the results would have been the opposite

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
We were in Bosnia for 6 years; how long do you suppose we need to stay in Iraq...6 months?

So, let me be clear on a point. You claim we will be in Iraq for 6 months? If not, specifically, how long?

Jan 12, 2003
No, I claim we will be there, though with a lesser footprint, for decades. I was asking whether he thought our time served in country already is too much, which seems to be the general views of the anti-bush-no-war-for-oil camp...like we are supposed to oust a brutal dictator and are expected to have a constitution, a standing army, a police force, 100% infrastructure rebuilt, democratic elections, and have all the troops out within 6 months...

Moreover, I was just pointing out the hypocrisy one more time with regards to Bosnia. That country was in far better shape than Iraq and we had IFOR troops on the ground for 6 years (I was there a year and was told that we would be in country for only a year, then withdraw), though the operation was said to last no longer than a year. I can't seem to remember anyone whining about removing the troops from Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
No, I claim we will be there, though with a lesser footprint, for decades. I was asking whether he thought our time served in country already is too much, which seems to be the general views of the anti-bush-no-war-for-oil camp...like we are supposed to oust a brutal dictator and are expected to have a constitution, a standing army, a police force, 100% infrastructure rebuilt, democratic elections, and have all the troops out within 6 months...

Moreover, I was just pointing out the hypocrisy one more time with regards to Bosnia. That country was in far better shape than Iraq and we had IFOR troops on the ground for 6 years (I was there a year and was told that we would be in country for only a year, then withdraw), though the operation was said to last no longer than a year. I can't seem to remember anyone whining about removing the troops from Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Hahaha.. you were just pointing wildly about. All I stated was that the Iraqi's probably do favor us being there for months instead of years.

dpm

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2002
No, I claim we will be there, though with a lesser footprint, for decades. I was asking whether he thought our time served in country already is too much, which seems to be the general views of the anti-bush-no-war-for-oil camp...like we are supposed to oust a brutal dictator and are expected to have a constitution, a standing army, a police force, 100% infrastructure rebuilt, democratic elections, and have all the troops out within 6 months... Moreover, I was just pointing out the hypocrisy one more time with regards to Bosnia. That country was in far better shape than Iraq and we had IFOR troops on the ground for 6 years (I was there a year and was told that we would be in country for only a year, then withdraw), though the operation was said to last no longer than a year. I can't seem to remember anyone whining about removing the troops from Bosnia and Herzegovina.

When you say decades with a lesser footprint, do you mean as in Saudi Arabia, where America would just be basing troops there, or decades having some level of control/controlling prescence, as in UNPROFOR?

I very much agree with you - whether you agree how we got here or not, it behooves us to do a good job, and that will require significant forces in Iraq for some time.

As for the Bosnian analogy - I'm no Balkans expert, but I was under the impression that the reason the UN has stayed so long there is because of the deep divisions within the countries, between the different national and ethnic groups. Do you think that Iraq will be this extreme?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
I very much agree with you - whether you agree how we got here or not, it behooves us to do a good job, and that will require significant forces in Iraq for some time.
I just wonder if we are capable of doing a good job there, especially with this Administration.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
I just wonder if we are capable of doing a good job there, especially with this Administration.

I am not sure if we even have an understanding of what a good job is. When there is a democratic government we aprove of, with a constitution of our creation? When there is nothing but love for the US? I think a good job is to get the Iraqis doing the reconstruction (although I believe we are still obligated to foot the bill), see that essential services are in place and get the fsck out. Let the Iraqis decide what outside help they want.