Galaxy S7 regular/edge owners roll call....

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Compddd

Golden Member
Jul 5, 2000
Can I sell it before I get the unlock code from T-Mobile or should I wait the 40 days first?

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
Sweet, just got my confirmation for the two vr gears and two netflix codes. I sent away for them on the 3-12. Now just for the damn rebate...

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Brother finally wants a smartphone... and I'm still on a Note 3. BOGO free (Verizon) S7 offer comes in the form of a prepaid visa card? That sucks - I don't want to fork out that much up front and then have to find a use for "free money".

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
Brother finally wants a smartphone... and I'm still on a Note 3. BOGO free (Verizon) S7 offer comes in the form of a prepaid visa card? That sucks - I don't want to fork out that much up front and then have to find a use for "free money".

You have to have both phones on the Device payment Plan for Verizon.
So you're not forking out a lot of money up front.
Also you have to carry service for 6 months

You can use the prepaid cards to pay off the remaining balance and just keep whatever you paid for 6 months

Last edited:

kaerflog

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2010

This make no sense.
First its installment plan so you're not forking much money up front.
Second, find use for "free money" ?? Its a prepaid CC. You don't have expenses ?? Like you just can't use the prepaid CC to paid various expenses.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
^ I missed the installment plan thing - since VZW's website allows us to buy the thing outright (or 2yr contract lowered price, but line access is raised). It is in the fine print though - including the part about 1 needing to be a new line (my wife is considering it).

There's also a blurb about them giving $100 bill credit for activating an S7.
http://www.verizonwireless.com/news...e-on-verizon-right-now.html?_requestid=141802

unless that's expired already...

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Is there a manual for this out there? Haven't really used android and would like to read on some of the details instead of just trial and error.

Got the off the boat from China wallet case for one of my edges, looks like it actually can function decently as a substitute wallet and I like how they have a magnetic holder allowing you to separate it easily from the wallet enclosure.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Got 2 on the way and I got an immediate $100 off an upgrade also. Good deal.

Anyone using a screen protector? Something simple, doesn't have to be glass. I can't seem to find any on amazon that says it fits great (non-edge). Then there are some that are wet-install (no thanks to the 24hr wait). I've done iSmooth and Elite Tech on other phones but they don't have a regular stick-on for the S7 (yet?). Just want something that takes 2 minutes and I can forget about it - but this is proving more difficult than it should be.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Both models on T-Mo got a small OTA today. Security patch + other stuff. Any other carriers?

chitwood

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2008
just got my S7E on friday.

so far, 2 things I've noticed.

1. The home button stuck on me 3 times the day I got it. But, it hasn't done it since. Maybe it was just because it was new right out of the box. Not worried about this so much, but it was worth noting.

2. Scrolling issue. When I scroll through.... literally anything... settings, browser, any app, you name it. Where my finger position is when I pick it up off the phone, the phone sometimes treats that as a 'touch'. So it will randomly load hypertext, or open a tweet, or go into a setting when I never actually intended to, if my finger happens to be there when I take it away. Its a little hard to describe. I'm not sure if that's the phone or the OS.

Other than that the phone is awesome. unbelievably fast and the camera is tops

kaerflog

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2010
just got my S7E on friday.

so far, 2 things I've noticed.

1. The home button stuck on me 3 times the day I got it. But, it hasn't done it since. Maybe it was just because it was new right out of the box. Not worried about this so much, but it was worth noting.

2. Scrolling issue. When I scroll through.... literally anything... settings, browser, any app, you name it. Where my finger position is when I pick it up off the phone, the phone sometimes treats that as a 'touch'. So it will randomly load hypertext, or open a tweet, or go into a setting when I never actually intended to, if my finger happens to be there when I take it away. Its a little hard to describe. I'm not sure if that's the phone or the OS.

Other than that the phone is awesome. unbelievably fast and the camera is tops

Do you have a case on yet ??

chitwood

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2008
Do you have a case on yet ??

yes, I have a case. Why do you ask?

one other question:
Settings -> Display and wallpaper -> Screen mode

what do you guys have yours set at? mine is just 'adaptive display'. Are there differences in the other options there?

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Can't help you there. Only using mine on weekends mostly so far and having not found a good guide for the phone, other than installing some apps haven't really changed anything.

bonkers325

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
I don't like adaptive display because I find it doesn't control the settings very well. I set mine on cinema mode because the colors are less saturated and look a bit more natural.

So far I've been consistently getting 5hr SOT and full day usage. No rooting required. I did install Block It! and Galaxy Button Lights apps so that I can have ad blocking and turn off the lights on the capacitive buttons. I wish I could install stuff like Xposed for some of the extra goodies like double-tap to sleep and no lock screen on wifi - but it's not really necessary and I'm more than happy with the phone in it's stock state. Except for the stock launcher, I use Google Now launcher for the cards. Otherwise I'd use Nova Prime for the double tap sleep function.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
8ea7e3701069c969576ae1063061ff19.jpg

I love mine, also have gold with spigen neo hybrid case and 64 gb msd card. Samsung pay is great, I used it at the lumber yard this weekend and it was just like the Comercial, everyone standing around me and watching. I have yet to kill the battery in a single day.

Currently using weather1 but am open to other options.

Last edited:

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
I'm still holding off on signing up for samsung pay. I have a feeling the offer might get better :(.

chitwood

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2008
Trying to fix one thing:

Notifications. I get a text, I wake the phone up... instead of a little envelope or chat bubble set neatly in the top left corner of the screen, it now just says "Verizon Wireless". If I fully unlock the phone, THEN the little chat icon is there. Been playing with the settings for an hour, everything related to 'notifications' involves these huge idiotic banners splattered all over my lock screen. That's NOT what I want at all.

Anyone know how to get the little icons back in the top left corner on the lock screen? Is this something new with Marshmallow? I was on Kitkat with my G2 and it never did this.

edit:
most threads I'm reading on androidcentral address this exact issue, and as of Feb 2016 there is no known fix. I just can't believe they would rather put "verizon wireless" up there (which is totally useless) instead of something actually useful. And the worst part is that it used to be there, and they actually changed it to make it suck.

Last edited:

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
yes, I have a case. Why do you ask?

one other question:
Settings -> Display and wallpaper -> Screen mode

what do you guys have yours set at? mine is just 'adaptive display'. Are there differences in the other options there?

LINKY

Basic Screen Mode uses the industry standard sRGB/Rec.709 colour gamut which is currently used for producing pretty much every piece of consumer content - films, TV, apps, games, you name it. However, again, Samsung has not been lazy here and in terms of colour accuracy DisplayMate's findings reveal a 101% "near perfect" colour accuracy. Basically this is the most colour accurate display available virtually anywhere (and that includes devices that aren't phones, such as TVs and monitors).
The default for the Galaxy S7 is the Adaptive Display Mode, which features a wide colour gamut and, as the name suggests, has built-in real-time adaptive capabilities to adjust the saturation, colour gamut and white balance to try to achieve the best arrangement for any given content displayed on the screen at the time - that's relative to the content on screen but also the ambient light (both colour and brightness) around the phone.

This is basically Samsung's signature display setup which is generally recognised as being heavily saturated - and that's because it is, around 131% of the standard sRGB/Rec.709 colour gamut, in fact. It's not to everyone's tastes, but does have a practical purpose in that this does make viewing content in higher ambient light much clearer and prevents it from washing out.

The AMOLED Photo Mode is pretty much tailored for use with content from premium digital cameras, as most of these can use the Adobe RGB colour gamut, which is 17% of the standard sRGB/Rec.709 colour gamut. This mode, therefore, uses the same Adobe RGB colour gamut. AMOLED Cinema Mode is a similar story but naturally is tailored for watching movies with the best possible colour gamut.

edit: I use Basic mode

Last edited:

bonkers325

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
Fuck. Just discovered a scratch on my screen. WTF!

Used my amazon fire phone for a full year with no case and the screen was fine. This only for 2 weeks and already a scratch on the screen.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
Fuck. Just discovered a scratch on my screen. WTF!

Used my amazon fire phone for a full year with no case and the screen was fine. This only for 2 weeks and already a scratch on the screen.

edge? unfortunately there aren't any good protectors for this phone.
I'm running around bare too.

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
edge? unfortunately there aren't any good protectors for this phone.
I'm running around bare too.

?? o_O

I didn't have much difficulty with a zagg protector nor the matte skintomi. In fact the skintomi matte protector was the easiest application I've ever done.

jdoggg12

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2005
Can anyone with an S7 on Verizon unlimited data verify if FoxFi works for Tethering?

I use it so much on my G2 I don't want to risk losing that capability

chitwood

Golden Member
Aug 21, 2008

this ended up being a major problem and I took it back and returned it for an LG G5.

*slowly backs out of thread*