Galaxy S7 regular/edge owners roll call....

kaerflog

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2010
Seems like a lot of us took advantage of the S7 BOGO so all owners chime in. Thoughts, opinions, tips, pictures....what ever pertain to the S7.
I'm on T-mobile. I bought my wife a Note 5 for Black Friday and I was going to get a Moto X Pure but it never came down in price. I thought about getting another Note 5 but didn't want to risk waiting for 2 $250 rebate card back.(the rebate came in last week). I thought my S5 was just doing fine.
Fast forward this year and I really was waiting for the G5 but as soon as I saw it, it was a big disappointment. Didn't really thought about the S7 cause I'm not willing to pay >$700 for one.
Saw a refurbished Note 4 for $280 and jumped on that. Got it and it looked brand new. This was my phone for the next year or so. Just then the Moto X Pure dropped $100 to $299. Decisions, decisions. I had a Pure for 2 weeks before and I loved it but I also loved the Note 4.
I never even thought about the S7 BOGO cause I didn't have a free line. My account has 10 lines. A funny happened. My sister decided to switched. She's been talking about it but suddenly one day I got a text that a line was canceled. S7 BOGO Free was just too good to pass up.
I have the EDGE. Most beautiful looking phone out right now. I still think the Note 5 is the best overall phone because of the compact form factor for a 5.7" phone. Sometimes I wish the phone was just a normal 5.5" phone. To me, you lose part of the screen because of the edges. It really doesn't serve a purpose except that it looks COOL. The edge screen is just a big gimmick. You can do that easily on any phone like say a Note 5. Nothing stop you from putting a tab on the edge of a Note 5.
With that said, its a great phone. $455- Netflix-VR bundles is a fantastic deal.

Here's my Edge with just a simple clear case on and Apex launcher.

20160323_160823.jpg

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
I see you went with the pimpin' color.

Mine's black, also with a clear case though. Mind you, I have the exact same Nova layout and live wallpaper I've been using since the GNex, so with the Material Dark theme it feels almost like my GPE-ROM S4. Except for the physical body and fingerprint reader, of course.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
I'll post mine up a bit later still haven't transitioned from my 6s. Waiting to throw on a screen protector before I run around with it. I picked up a rinke clear case on Amazon for like 6 bucks.
Hoping to pick up 2 wireless quick chargers. One for office and another for nightstand.

kaerflog

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2010
I see you went with the pimpin' color.

Mine's black, also with a clear case though. Mind you, I have the exact same Nova layout and live wallpaper I've been using since the GNex, so with the Material Dark theme it feels almost like my GPE-ROM S4. Except for the physical body and fingerprint reader, of course.

PIC please.
I wanted the silver all along and when I head to the store I knew they only had the black and gold but I was going to wait for the silver.
My buddy who's splitting the BOGO with me wanted black. I thought black is a bit boring. After seeing the gold in person and also wanting to file the rebate and free gifts right away I hesitated on getting the gold but went ahead anyway.
Still want the silver but not worth missing out on the goodies.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I bought the silver tmo version. After a week of bugs it's all good now. Loving it. Swore off of Samsung Galaxy after last year's bull crap of a device. Fixed the SD unmounting issue. You need to format it in the phone first. My only complaint is the mediocre dac. It's junk. But I'm coming off an lgv10 which has a superior dac.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I'm just mad I missed deadline to get in on the 2 pack wireless chargers.

jdoggg12

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2005
I swore off Galaxy devices from Samsung after the craptacular mess that was my Galaxy Nexus. I'm hoping this thread can salvage my interest in the line because I'm not sure what I'd like to replace my G2 with.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
I swore off Galaxy devices from Samsung after the craptacular mess that was my Galaxy Nexus. I'm hoping this thread can salvage my interest in the line because I'm not sure what I'd like to replace my G2 with.

yea my last galaxy was a note 3. got the s7 edge and i'm enjoying it so far. Just need to get a screen protector for it before I start making it my daily.

kaerflog

Golden Member
Jul 23, 2010
yea my last galaxy was a note 3. got the s7 edge and i'm enjoying it so far. Just need to get a screen protector for it before I start making it my daily.

I'm looking for one too.
Just a normal cheap one or one with a curve or tempered glass.
Anyone has one ??

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I'm looking for one too.
Just a normal cheap one or one with a curve or tempered glass.
Anyone has one ??

The tempered ones are all getting crappy reviews. Looks like the manus are just putting adhesive on the upper and lower parts resulting in shitty screen response. Hoping for some pro outfit to make a decent one.

isekii

Lifer
Mar 16, 2001
have you considered getting the accidental coverage for 160ish?

covers 2 claims per year for 2 years. I dont recall reading any deductible like apple, but it seems like a pretty good price if there aren't any deductibles

jimbob200521

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2005
New S7 (non-edge) owner here. So far, I love the device overall. HUGE improvement from my Galaxy S4 (duh). First impressions are as follows:

Pros
Device is F-A-S-T. Everything I do is very fluid from texting to social media apps to games to you name it.
The camera on this thing's a beast. Low lighting performance is great, even without flash. Details come through great, colors seem to be accurate, and it not only opens but focus' and takes a picture faster than you can blink.
Physically a very attractive device. Rounded edges, bright high res screen, responsive screen/buttons, etc.
Love how the camera no longer sticks out a mile on the back.
Go expandable storage!!
Also quite enjoy (right now, unless it becomes gimmicky) the "always on" screen feature displaying time, date, missed calls, etc.

Cons
Fingerprint magnet. You cannot keep up with it unless you don't touch it.
Battery life isn't much better than my years old G4 (I'm going to give that one a few days as it's still new and "settling in".
Device is somewhat slippery as it's mostly glass surfaced.
While I really like the "always on" screen, I wish you could do more with it. I want to be able to see Facebook notifications, text notifications, etc.

So far those are my initial first "24 hours" impressions. I was kinda going back and forth between this and waiting for the G5 but various factors swayed me towards this. Can't wait to see how the community for this device grows.

Last edited:

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
I got two S7 Edge's from the tmo BOGO deal. My wife has a iphone 6 plus for work and a windows phone. She's what I would call an android disapprover, not quite dislike but not a fan either. Anyways she gave it a try a few days ago. I did tweak the phone a lil bit, loaded Nova launcher, package disabler, block-this, shuttle+, modded pandora. About 3 days later she asks me to convert her sim from the win phone to the Edge, lol. I'm kinda down because now I can't sell the freebie, shrugs.

mrochester

Aug 16, 2014
Galaxy S7 Edge; beautiful hardware, spoiled by Android. Imagine if we could put iOS on that thing?

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Galaxy S7 Edge; beautiful hardware, spoiled by Android. Imagine if we could put iOS on that thing?

This honestly makes no sense. Android is the reason why a phone like the S7 Edge can exist in the first place as one OEM can add significant differences from another. iOS certainly has advantages and a huge one is optimization due to strict hardware and software control - that's at odds with phones like this and you may never see a phone like this from Apple since they have to pick one direction every couple years.

Not sure how an S7 Edge without any edge features, with nothing taking advantage of the bigger screen besides more homescreen icons, no multi-window, no camera fast launch, no software support for mSD - would remotely even be the same phone.

I suppose you could say of course iOS would have edge specific features if it had a phone like this, but that's a pointless argument.

mrochester

Aug 16, 2014
This honestly makes no sense. Android is the reason why a phone like the S7 Edge can exist in the first place as one OEM can add significant differences from another. iOS certainly has advantages and a huge one is optimization due to strict hardware and software control - that's at odds with phones like this and you may never see a phone like this from Apple since they have to pick one direction every couple years.

Not sure how an S7 Edge without any edge features, with nothing taking advantage of the bigger screen besides more homescreen icons, no multi-window, no camera fast launch, no software support for mSD - would remotely even be the same phone.

I suppose you could say of course iOS would have edge specific features if it had a phone like this, but that's a pointless argument.

Well all those specific features would be added to iOS of course.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
New S7 (non-edge) owner here. So far, I love the device overall. HUGE improvement from my Galaxy S4 (duh). First impressions are as follows:

Pros
Device is F-A-S-T. Everything I do is very fluid from texting to social media apps to games to you name it.
The camera on this thing's a beast. Low lighting performance is great, even without flash. Details come through great, colors seem to be accurate, and it not only opens but focus' and takes a picture faster than you can blink.
Physically a very attractive device. Rounded edges, bright high res screen, responsive screen/buttons, etc.
Love how the camera no longer sticks out a mile on the back.
Go expandable storage!!
Also quite enjoy (right now, unless it becomes gimmicky) the "always on" screen feature displaying time, date, missed calls, etc.

Cons
Fingerprint magnet. You cannot keep up with it unless you don't touch it.
Battery life isn't much better than my years old G4 (I'm going to give that one a few days as it's still new and "settling in".
Device is somewhat slippery as it's mostly glass surfaced.
While I really like the "always on" screen, I wish you could do more with it. I want to be able to see Facebook notifications, text notifications, etc.

So far those are my initial first "24 hours" impressions. I was kinda going back and forth between this and waiting for the G5 but various factors swayed me towards this. Can't wait to see how the community for this device grows.

As a current S4 owner that almost pulled the trigger, I'm interested to see how you experience pans out.
I'm on the fence now on whether I should just wait for the Note 6

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
As a current S4 owner that almost pulled the trigger, I'm interested to see how you experience pans out.
I think a lot of us switched from the S4. I went for the Edge because of screen size + extra battery at similar width and similar weight. The regular S7 is about the same size as the S4 but heavier due to the glass back.

jimbob200521

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2005
I'm on the fence now on whether I should just wait for the Note 6

Is the Note 6 something you're holding out for? What do you look for in a device?

I'm still planning on going in April 1st and checking out the G5. Since it'll be the same price as the S7 (and within my 15 day return window) I may swap out for it. Don't get me wrong, I love the S7. It feels like a very solidly built device, the screen is downright beautiful, I still haven't been able to make the device skip a beat, and the battery life is getting noticeable better even just one day later. But that G5 just looks so darn sexy! That and the "modules" you can add on to it look pretty tempting, though I'm not sure I'd really ever use them. And the screen on the G5 is just a bit bigger at 5.3" vs 5.1" (which would be a nice bump). The specs look similar between the two; same CPU, same amount of RAM, and a slightly higher res (and wide angle) camera on the G5. The ONLY thing that really turns me off is the on screen buttons. I really like having the buttons (home, back, etc) integrated into the body of the phone and not on screen. Just seems like such a waste of space to me. Who knows, though; if it is the way of the future maybe I'll have to suck it up and get used to it eventually.

dawheat

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Well all those specific features would be added to iOS of course.

Hahaha with that line of thinking, why not just add iOS smoothness to Android. Fragmentation has benefits and negatives - you can't just accept the positives without the negatives.

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
Question to those that got their VR gear emails, did you ppl get your netflix email codes as well? I got my vr confirmation emails, but not anything for netflix. I'm wondering what to do at this point.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
So far I really like it. Battery lasts all day and the Edge form factor makes it easier to hold than my other phones. Overall this is the best experience on Android I have ever had.

General feedback:

• sometimes I do get slow downs but I attribute this to Android in general (not a biggie)

• fingerprint reader is very good but does not seem to like moisture.

• Camera focusing is incredibly fast. While you cannot photograph things recklessly, you can get pretty close

• Edge feature has been pretty useless to me.

• Always On display is a nice idea but is really only good at showing the time and battery percentage

• Love the fact that they included the LED status light

• Love the OLED display. Been loving my OLED phone screens for quite sometime over IPS, etc. Glad it's there.

• VR experience was neat but my phone overheated after about 30 minutes shutting the app down. I also got a headache shortly thereafter lol.

• Samsung Pay is slick. The MST acquisition was an amazing get. Whomever is responsible for that deserves some sort of private island. I didn't think it would work and have had cashiers react the same way the Katz deli folks did in the Hannibal commercial. It's sleeper tech that Samsung should really milk right now since a lot of vendors are dragging their heels.

• The free VR + Netflix was indeed a big motivator for the purchase. Just received both and quite pleased.

• Yes it is a fingerprint magnet :D

• All of the Spigen cases I have purchased have been excellent.

UL0vvSL.jpg

KxDCccj.jpg

HWZbqgC.jpg

Question to those that got their VR gear emails, did you ppl get your netflix email codes as well? I got my vr confirmation emails, but not anything for netflix. I'm wondering what to do at this point.

Got my VR in the mail yesterday.
Got my netflix code via email today and applied it without issue.

Last edited: