Phantom White
Green
Burgundy

Last edited:
Reactions: Edwin Joe

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
So the Note is back! The Note Ultra basically has been rebranded as the S22 Ultra this year. And I think that's fine. With the new Fold and Flip series, it just made sense to merge the S and Note series into one and release them at the same time.

US and I think a couple other countries are getting the Snapdragon CPU as usual with everyone else getting the Exynos.
There was really high expectations of this new Exynos 2200, the first to use AMD's RDNA2 graphics processor. I was expecting Samsung would flip the tables and finally make Snapdragon owners jealous. But so far it's looking like that may not happen from some early reports the Exynos CPU is only slightly faster and the GPU not living up to expectations either. But hopefully Samsung and AMD can improve this with software updates.

There are no 16GB RAM models this year. The highest tier storage options cap the RAM out at 12GB. But 16GB was probably overkill anyway and 12GB is still plenty future proof.

The S22 and S22+ are sport slightly flatter, though still a little curved, edges versus the S21 and S21+. That might be a bit nicer in the hand without going to Apple's extreme flat edges that have sharp corners.

The S22 and S22+ also have a similar camera bump from last year. But the S22 Ultra goes with a brand new design, removing the camera housing area and just having the cameras poking out of the back. I think I like this look. The bump appears much smaller and a well designed case can cover everything except for the lenses.

Oh, and the entry S21 had a plastic back last year. A strange choice for a premium S series phone. But this year Samsung is back to all phones having the same build quality and glass backs.

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
I already pre-ordered my ultra 512GB in Wesley Snipes black (Flossy's words, not mine!)
Haha. Hopefully all the cases are slamboy certified.

I broke my S21+ last year, first phone in my life I cracked. :cry: So I went back to my Note 20 Ultra. But while I had the S21+ I really did regret not going with the Ultra and getting that better display and bigger size. The camera bump of the S21 Ultra scared me off because I'm not a big fan of it on my Note 20 Ultra.

I considered going with the Pixel 6 Pro. And had one for a week. That phone was pretty disappointing. Not sure why Google went with glossy glass after being one of the first to start using frosted glass. And why an optical fingerprint scanner in a phone I though was going to be premium class. Pixel 6 Pro felt like a phone trying to straddle the mid-premium range and I wanted more premium. And they seem to be really struggling with that new Tensor chip. First generation issues. I'm glad I returned this.

So now I'm upgrading from the Note 20 Ultra 256GB White to the S22 Ultra 512GB White. I don't care too much about cameras, any premium phone camera has been more than sufficient for me for the past 5 years. But my Note 20 Ultra can't do 1440p at 120Hz, I have to reduce my resolution to 1080p to get max refresh. So that will be a nice upgrade. And the smaller camera bump will be much welcomed. Also I go caseless at home often, so the frosted back will be much better at keeping away the smudges and fingerprints.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I will be trying out an S22 Ultra 256gb. My main phone right now is a pixel 6 pro.

Not sure how I'll get used to one ui as I've only ever had pixel phones.

I don't have any crazy bugs other people have with signal, aside from a lock screen issue and fingerprint bug that turning it off then back on fixed.

My main gripe is the pixel's battery life is pretty average. I'm definitely not getting what others are in terms of screen time.

So I'm basically going to run the s22 ultra for a week and see if the battery life is better. On mobile data the 6 pro drains faster.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I will be trying out an S22 Ultra 256gb. My main phone right now is a pixel 6 pro.

Not sure how I'll get used to one ui as I've only ever had pixel phones.

I don't have any crazy bugs other people have with signal, aside from a lock screen issue and fingerprint bug that turning it off then back on fixed.

My main gripe is the pixel's battery life is pretty average. I'm definitely not getting what others are in terms of screen time.

So I'm basically going to run the s22 ultra for a week and see if the battery life is better. On mobile data the 6 pro drains faster.

Use Nova Launcher. It's the best for a reason. You can pretty much mimic the Google launcher experience if you want or I just make it how you like it more so than with the stock launcher if you so desire, from customizing the look to also interactions via gestures and swipes and taps.

You can mimic the swipe to the furthest left to get the Google News stuff by downloading and installing the Nova Google Companion APK (which is not in the play store)

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Use Nova Launcher. It's the best for a reason. You can pretty much mimic the Google launcher experience if you want or I just make it how you like it more so than with the stock launcher if you so desire, from customizing the look to also interactions via gestures and swipes and taps.

You can mimic the swipe to the furthest left to get the Google News stuff by downloading and installing the Nova Google Companion APK (which is not in the play store)
I used to use nova a lot in the past when I would install custom roms so I have the pro edition.

I think I'll get used to the Samsung launcher without issues. Google discover is available on the S21 by default according to my friend who has one. I would imagine the S22 will have it as well. The biggest difference for me would be the app drawer pages rather than scrolling, but not a deal breaker. Any Samsung apps I don't care about I'll probably remove or disable.

I'm just interested in the longevity of the battery life/mobile data signal so as long as that's better than my 6 pro, I'll be happy.

For some reason the note 20 doesn't have Google discover yet as I also have a friend with a note and he was complaining that it was missing.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Won't be upgrading my Note 9 512GB (Android 10; One UI 2.5) and Note 20 Ultra 5g (Android 12; One UI 4.0). I use them for (pics, videos, text, etc.) and both have SD slots in which I have 512GB microSD cards.

Reactions: accguy9009

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007

These are exciting results for the S22 and the new X65 modem. S22 seems to have much better performance with low cellular signals. Great news for me. I moved to more rural area last year and coverage has been pretty rough in my area.

accguy9009

Oct 21, 2007
Negative. I have an 512GB microSD card in my S20 5G. It allows me to save all photos and video to the SD card and not the phone's internal storage. That dongle is a temporary use device.

I will miss the sd card slot for expansion when I trade my Note 10+ in after my s22 Ultra arrives. Flagship devices no longer provide that option. I think its BS but thats the reality. The A52 from Sumsung still has it. Rock the S20 for as long as you can but except for maybe Sony good luck finding the sd card slot for expansion on flagship devices.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I will miss the sd card slot for expansion when I trade my Note 10+ in after my s22 Ultra arrives. Flagship devices no longer provide that option. I think its BS but thats the reality. The A52 from Sumsung still has it. Rock the S20 for as long as you can but except for maybe Sony good luck finding the sd card slot for expansion on flagship devices.

I'm not too upset (admittedly I'm an iPhone user who's used to it, but still). I can understand the allure, but storage is quickly becoming "good enough" while the benefits of microSD cards are diminishing. Yeah, microSD cards offer a lot of storage for relatively little money, but if you already have 512GB or 1TB of storage, you're probably not hurting right now. And microSD cards are so much slower than a flagship phone's built-in storage.

The main issue, I'd say, is driving down the cost of truly meaningful storage. I would have liked Samsung to set 256GB as the baseline so that light users didn't have to worry about space, and to make the higher capacities more affordable. At least pre-order customers don't have to worry quite so much.

Reactions: accguy9009

GrumpyMan

Diamond Member
May 14, 2001
Music used to require the most storage for me, since the streaming music services have gotten pretty good I don't require that much space anymore. I still miss the micrSD cards for photos but that's about it. 512Gb is way more than I need these days.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Music used to require the most storage for me, since the streaming music services have gotten pretty good I don't require that much space anymore. I still miss the micrSD cards for photos but that's about it. 512Gb is way more than I need these days.

I need a surprising amount of space for streaming music (a few long playlists), but it's definitely less than I would have if streaming hadn't taken off and I'd needed to buy every song I wanted. The only reason I have a 512GB phone is that I expect to do a lot of photography and never want to worry about space for the life of the phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: GrumpyMan

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I'm mostly interested in the battery life of the S22 Ultra snapdragon version. Most of the battery reports from YouTube seem to be for the Exynos version and not very detailed.

As long as it's longer than my pixel 6 pro we are good.

GrumpyMan

Diamond Member
May 14, 2001
I would say for me, other than a good deal of course, I'm looking for a better camera than my current burner generic T-Moblile phone Revvl 5G that I am using in the meantime. Still reading reviews on the S22 Ultra.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I'm mostly interested in the battery life of the S22 Ultra snapdragon version. Most of the battery reports from YouTube seem to be for the Exynos version and not very detailed.

As long as it's longer than my pixel 6 pro we are good.

It will definitely be better than the p6 pro. I would bet you on that.

The S22 is tempting with Nova Launcher, it looks like an amazing phone, but I am never out of battery with my current usage habits as I am never far from a charger or a battery pack. I prefer the better photos of the P6Pro, but if Google doesn't get its act together with the P7Pro I'm gonna go to Samsung.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
My S22 Ultra was just delivered! Gona charge to 100 and merge my flip3 3 and note 20 data over.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Curious about the battery life. No review I read so far was really impressed. It just sufficed for them. It was good enough basically.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Curious about the battery life. No review I read so far was really impressed. It just sufficed for them. It was good enough basically.
It should take about a week to figure out. There are people in the Galaxys22 subreddit posting daily battery charts for different days. One with resolution mode of fhd+ vs QHD, etc.

Seems like 6-7hrs and some change is the average so far.

Lisa from MobileTechReview said she got about 6.5hrs with heavy usage and like 6hrs on qhd resolution mode.

FHD+ is the default stock resolution but switching to QHD should not alter battery that much. It's not like day to day usage will affect what's rendered for normal task. It only really comes into effect when doing gaming and other GPU intensive tasks.

Overall even if you leave the screen to FHD+ as the default, you are still pushing 1440p worth if pixels.

I'm curious how the idle drain will be for me because I like using always on display but I know Samsung lets you customize your always on display lockscreen so potentially it could be set up with less items on it.

Last edited:

Racan

Golden Member
Sep 22, 2012
The base S22 is the most powerful compact android flagship available and with no plastic back. Looks like it's finally time to buy a new phone, my LG G6 is not cutting it in 2022.

Reactions: Oyeve