Galaxy S21, S21+ and S21 Ultra

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Maybe, but I still listen to music with full-sized headphones with an external dac/amp tied to my phone. There are no BT headphones or buds that can even come close to that sound volume/quality.

Well unfortunately you are in the tiniest slice of a sliver of a market for such things. Man I remember the days of carrying an amp with my phone to power bigger cans. Was fine around the house but absolutely terrible on the go. Phones and portability just go hand in hand, and while there is a small tiny market for what you want, it just doesn't make sense to cater to it when phones have other characteristics to target. You may just have to get a DAP if you want to listen to music on the go or just lazying around the house with a nicer set of full-sized cans.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Samsung has been running robust discounting on the S21 line-up, and my unlocked S8 hasn't been updated for a while and will be EOL soon. The thing I dislike most about Android is the relatively poor update policy, but Samsung's 4th year of updates will keep me in the fold for one more cycle. It's lame that Samsung Snapdragon-models have locked bootloaders and so custom ROMs are not a viable option. Honestly all I want towards the end are security updates, and I'd even pay a nominal fee for them if that was possible. As mature as phone platforms have become, it's somewhat of a shame that I can't squeeze out a 5th year of usage without switching to iPhone.

My question is do you guys use Samsung Smart Switch to get data onto your new Galaxy phones? When I tried it in 2017, it was a disaster and never actually worked (Moto G -> Galaxy S8). So I gave up and used SMS Backup & Restore to get SMS/MMS copied over. IIRC I ditched everything else. Ideally most app data would be restored a la iPhoneOS; but I'd settle for MMS and camera gallery for starters.

Edit:
looked at a few Smart Switch videos, and it's working well for people. Maybe I had a bad OTG cable in 2017, don't remember clearly now.

Last edited:

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Smart Switch worked okay in wireless mode. 4 years ago, I used cable mode and I think that's part of the problem (one device ships power to the other, not something you want if it's a long transfer process). Android backup/restore doesn't seem any different than it was, meaning unlike iPhoneOS, sandboxed app data is not copied to your new device. Most apps use cloud data so they all "sync" up perfectly. Viber's internal backup/restore doesn't preserve your media files and it doesn't seem easy to do this manually because normally to subvert the app sandbox, you need root.

Mar 11, 2004
I bought an Ultra on one of the Samsung deals along with their Chromebook (the one with the AMOLED display) and S7+ and I forget what all else. Already received the chromebook and S7+. I wouldn't recommend the Chromebook because it has terrible battery life and Chrome is just so limiting (I gave it to my sister since it should all the computer she needs), although it seems like it was nice otherwise. I've been using the S7+ as a sketch tablet. Its frankly mediocre in my opinion. I kinda hate the form factor as the sharp edges make it a chore to hold, the stylus doesn't stay put, and just doesn't do a stellar job at palm rejection and other features. Its probably nice for a media tablet (although lacking a headphone jack...). Its stupid that it has a camera bump that isn't integrated with the stylus bump. I'd have preferred a more slender stylus that you could stow (the Chromebook had one). It gets weirdly warm too, and I have no interest in Android on a tablet. I offered to sell it cheap to a co-worker that has been wanting an iPad Pro for a digital art tablet, but she's planning on getting the new one when it drops.

Not sure yet on the phone, as it hasn't shipped yet, but is supposed to in about a week. If it weren't for the overall deal I wouldn't have, and there's a solid chance I won't keep it. While I do hate that they removed the headphone jack and uSD, I could buy a high quality DAC dongle cable that I could use on multiple devices, and the uSD slot just saves me having to load music/movies/pics to a new phone, but I kinda already do that anyway. 256GB should be enough for phone use, and the S7+ would be better for media and has a uSD slot.

Weirdly, I think I've gotten used to my V60 such that I'm not sure if I'll want to switch. I have custom IEMs so a quality headphone jack is still appreciated. I also kinda use the dual screen quite a lot (where I watch a YouTube video on one and browse the web on the other while on lunch at work). The camera is mostly meh (manual mode is more wonky to use than on the V10, and I feel like the sensor with lack of zoom and processing are the bigger limitations; and the dual screen case makes it so I can't use any of the clip on lenses) and was probably the main reason I decided to give the Ultra a try, as I especially want to try out the zoom capabilities. I got the stylus and case for free as part of the promotion, although it looks so clunky compared to the Note series that I have doubts I'll stick with it, and while I did like using the stylus on my Note 3, its not a big deal on the V60 (which I could get a stylus for too). It appears to have a small notifications display like the dual screen V60 case has which is kinda nice as it saves me when I just want to check the time.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I'm thinking about the Ultra version. The hang up for me is the lack of a micro-sd card slot. I currently use an LG V40 with a 512 gig card in it. I think I could live with limited internal storage if I could get myself to back up and delete some of the images I take. However with my current phone I use it for a lot of pictures and video for work. So I like the flexibility of being able to switch to the internal storage for my work stuff, and then back to the memory card for personal stuff.

Why does that matter? Because on my memory card I know it takes forever to find my recent images if I plug it in and want to transfer it to my work pc. I keep the internal storage leaner so it's much easier to transfer any work stuff over. Plus I don't think paying hundreds of dollars for more internal storage is really a good idea, and it sux for the consumer.

Thankfully my phone isn't dead yet, just the fingerprint reader has stopped working, so maybe I'll get by for months yet. I'd consider the LH V60, but the camera is only meh, and I am traveling this year and I want the best camera I can get at the time.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I'm thinking about the Ultra version. The hang up for me is the lack of a micro-sd card slot. I currently use an LG V40 with a 512 gig card in it. I think I could live with limited internal storage if I could get myself to back up and delete some of the images I take. However with my current phone I use it for a lot of pictures and video for work. So I like the flexibility of being able to switch to the internal storage for my work stuff, and then back to the memory card for personal stuff.

Why does that matter? Because on my memory card I know it takes forever to find my recent images if I plug it in and want to transfer it to my work pc. I keep the internal storage leaner so it's much easier to transfer any work stuff over. Plus I don't think paying hundreds of dollars for more internal storage is really a good idea, and it sux for the consumer.

Thankfully my phone isn't dead yet, just the fingerprint reader has stopped working, so maybe I'll get by for months yet. I'd consider the LH V60, but the camera is only meh, and I am traveling this year and I want the best camera I can get at the time.

The S20 series was the last Galaxy with the SD card. (Sux) Those are still available new...or via places like Swappa.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Yea the wife has an S20+ and frankly I'm not blown away by it. Hoping the next version may bring the memory card storage slot back as I see there is an awful lot of complaining on the internet about it. But that will be early next year, a ways away yet.

Mar 11, 2004
I still haven't bothered fully setting up the S21, or even really been using it. In the bit I have, its not that the S21 is a bad phone, I think its good, but its not superior enough to make me want to move to it. And while the V60 has some issues and I definitely wish the camera was better (its not terrible, but camera is probably the single thing I'd most upgrade a phone for, but the Samsung isn't enough that I'd ), and LG's got features I'm using quite a bit, namely the headphone jack and the dual screen. Because of that I've decided to sell the S21.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Picked up a Note 20 Ultra today. $899 instead of $1,199 so I sacrificed and got it instead of the S21 Ultra. My memory card popped right in lol

Reactions: bigboxes

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Sammy has some promo now. Trade an iphone 12 and get 700 off a new s21 5G. I have a NIB iphone 12 that I have zero use for and can get the S21 for 99 bucks. Only problem is I have no urge to get it. I have a Note 20 Ultra and a 1TB SD card that I can't use in the s21. If only sammy kept the SD option.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Verizon and AT&T are both offering the entry level iPhone and Galaxy S21 for free with trade in of almost any working smartphone....or, $700/$800 in trade credit for the more e pensive models. (With unlimited plans, of course)

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Verizon and AT&T are both offering the entry level iPhone and Galaxy S21 for free with trade in of almost any working smartphone....or, $700/$800 in trade credit for the more e pensive models. (With unlimited plans, of course)
I can get one unlocked for 99 bucks if I trade in my unused iphone 12. Was thinking about it as I probably couldnt get 700 selling the iphone directly to someone. But I really have no use for a gimped galaxy phone.