Galaxy S II US names: Attain; Function; Within.

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
QueBert like to complain about everything Bateluer

No true I LOVE WebOS, I really like WM7, I like many things, but if you use an iPhone 4 or WM7 phone and then use any Android device you have to feel the lag. I refuse to settle, and up until this point every Android device has been me settling. I settled for the Droid 1 and now settled for an EVO. And to Bateuler hell yes I would. In a year a used iPhone 4 will still cost more than a Thunderbolt used. That should tell you something.

Android needs GPU acceleration period, use an iPhone, use a WM7 device, both are so smooth. I don't care what Rom you put on an Android device it's not smooth enough.

The problem is it seems that a lot of users are just obsessed with scrolling or something. OK, there is a little bit of choppiness when you scroll down your app drawer.. but seriously? You're going let that be the make/break of your phone decision? I basically use folders only now since it seriously is a pain in the ass the scroll through your app drawer to choose an app to use. Especially since 75% of the apps in my app drawer are apps that you only use once to set a setting and forget about it.

But even so, if you can't get over that, Android really isn't the platform for you. Especially if you can't see over it and see everything else it has to offer.

that sounds good in theory, but when you start to use apps where you scroll a lot, the choppiness is very off putting. I can have nothing but Cubed opened on my phone and when I scroll thru a text list of my mp3's it's not fluid at all. This is just one app, there are numerous others where you get the same laggy feeling. This would be so easy for Google to fix, yet they seem totally unwilling to do it. It's a shame really, because that's the only thing imho I don't like about Android, but if effects everything I do on the phone. Since an iPhone will never be affordable to me, I guess my next phone will be a Windows Mobile 7, which is even smoother than an iPhone for a lot of things.

Last edited:

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
No true I LOVE WebOS, I really like WM7, I like many things, but if you use an iPhone 4 or WM7 phone and then use any Android device you have to feel the lag. I refuse to settle, and up until this point every Android device has been me settling. I settled for the Droid 1 and now settled for an EVO. And to Bateuler hell yes I would. In a year a used iPhone 4 will still cost more than a Thunderbolt used. That should tell you something.

Android needs GPU acceleration period, use an iPhone, use a WM7 device, both are so smooth. I don't care what Rom you put on an Android device it's not smooth enough.

That Apple users shouldn't be allowed to manage their finances because they're idiots? :p

FYI, Android has GPU acceleration. It debuted in Gingerbread, and fully dropped in HoneyComb. Why don't you rant more that manufacturers haven't launched any official GB builds yet? GB source went out in October 2010, if I recall, and I'll be manufacturers had it before then.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
That Apple users shouldn't be allowed to manage their finances because they're idiots? :p

FYI, Android has GPU acceleration. It debuted in Gingerbread, and fully dropped in HoneyComb. Why don't you rant more that manufacturers haven't launched any official GB builds yet? GB source went out in October 2010, if I recall, and I'll be manufacturers had it before then.

My Nexus S compared to my friend's Evo is a night and day difference in smoothness. Both of us are stock but my Nexus S is infinitely smoother than my friend's Evo.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
My Nexus S compared to my friend's Evo is a night and day difference in smoothness. Both of us are stock but my Nexus S is infinitely smoother than my friend's Evo.

Even the Droid 1 running a GB rom was pretty snappy compared to Froyo builds, provided you kept the multi-tasking to a minimum.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
1726009-shut_up_and_take_my_money_super.jpg

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
This would be so easy for Google to fix, yet they seem totally unwilling to do it.

Nothing could be further from the truth. No company has migrated from a non-composite OS to a composite OS without tons of pain and growing pains for its users.

I consider myself a semi-expert on GPU accelerated GUIs because they are one of my biggest interests in technology. I have dissected OSX's Quartz, hacked on Vista's Aero, and used almost every pluggin made for Compiz. And from that experience I can tell you that creating a decent and stable composite-based interface is one of the hardest things a tech company can do.

Apple brought out composite for its OSes with the launch of OSX, and it wasn't until the 4th(!) version that there wasn't still major composite bugs. Microsoft converted Windows to composite with Vista and the incompatibility problems (and extra hardware requirements) of that move basically doomed the whole OS to be a failure. It took Linux over three years to have working composite. THREE YEARS!!!

Based on historical preference, if Google was to change Android to be composite -based, that would mean that at least one version of Android would be absolute garbage. Not "this scrolling isn't smooth" but "OMG my screen just got corrupted" garbage. MANY MANY programs, especially games, that were designed without composite will explode into chunks just like so many XP programs did on Vista.

In the fast-paced mobile world Google can't afford to have a "mulligan" Android release. Maybe if Android was hurting, and consumers were avoiding it because of a lack of smoothness- then Google would have had to have done it. But Android's growth means that obviously people are willing to overlook the lack of smoothness, and Google would be stupid to jeopardize that growth by forcing a GPU accelerated GUI down everyone's throats.

If Android isn't smooth enough for you now, there are quad cores around the corner. Within two years Android phones will have more than enough CPU power to have a smooth GUI for its users. Due to a lack of efficiencies these future Android phones might have trouble having the battery life of the iPhone competition (that is why the iPhone gets such good battery life- it lets the more efficient GPU do everything it can), but they will be smooth.

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
Interesting, I thought everyone was having to import them. Makes me wonder why ATT hasn't launched it yet if even online retail stores have some stock of them. Almost makes me wish I was back on ATT...almost.

abaez

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
I'd be hesitant with the no warranty.

Only reason I would go with one like that is because you'd be able to use the $15 "Data unlimited for Non-smartphones" plan on ATT since they do not have the IMEI of the overseas one in their DB. Even with that the cheapest is $55/month.

ImDonly1

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004
I'd be hesitant with the no warranty.

Only reason I would go with one like that is because you'd be able to use the $15 "Data unlimited for Non-smartphones" plan on ATT since they do not have the IMEI of the overseas one in their DB. Even with that the cheapest is $55/month.

With no texting. With texting it becomes $65 including 1000 texts.

Still overpriced.

Also, you can get the phone for about $650 if you order from the UK. Websites like clove.co.uk and handtec.co.uk

Last edited:

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
played with the EVO 3D today.. holy crap its just sick fast..

so DC is the answer for sure..

I want one.. bad.. can hardly wait to see the G2S though.

Feb 19, 2001
played with the EVO 3D today.. holy crap its just sick fast..

so DC is the answer for sure..

I want one.. bad.. can hardly wait to see the G2S though.

Odd. I played with the Sensation in Asia with my Nexus S next to it and the Sensation felt like crap lol. I'm a disappointed HTC Fanboi.

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
Odd. I played with the Sensation in Asia with my Nexus S next to it and the Sensation felt like crap lol. I'm a disappointed HTC Fanboi.

this ain't no Sensation.. the EVO 3D is top dog until the G2S is available performance wise..
fast fast fast no delay on anything..

I think the main difference is in the GPU and the extra bit of ram.
not to mention the sick amoutn of internal storage upgrade in the 3D.

Sensation
Internal phone storage: 1 GB
RAM: 768 MB

3D
4GB eMMC / RAM 1GB

I'm so jealous of the guy here that got it.. oh well G2S is coming and I kinda want it more.. and should have my upgrade by then.

I did get another EVO to flash Sense 3.0 on.. and I love it .. it at least feels like the 3D.. just doesn't perform like it.

Last edited:

HonorFool

Jun 23, 2011
Man, topic disappoints. I don't see t-mobiles name and I don't care if they call the the Samsung Sparkle just as along as they get it. :mad: I don't want to have to get the sensation instead.:thumbsdown:

ImDonly1

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004
Man, topic disappoints. I don't see t-mobiles name and I don't care if they call the the Samsung Sparkle just as along as they get it. :mad: I don't want to have to get the sensation instead.:thumbsdown:

T-mobile is rumored to get a beefier sgs2 called the hercules. It is supposed to be 4.5 inch, dual-core, etc, and have support for t-mobile's 42mbps hspa+ network.

I would rather have the sgs2 since I think 4.5 inch will be too big, but the 42mbps hspa+ sounds nice. Especially since some websites have tests of it running 20 mbps download.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Down to $89 on Amazon, was $119 the other day

:hmm: I wonder what the price is unsubsidized. I've been wanting to jump to Android and have no problem going with the Infuse for now until the SG2 gets down in price a bit.

edit: it's still $600 unsubsidized

Are they serious or do people just not buy these phones out of contract? The only reason I'd jump to an Infuse is price but it's still not there yet.

Last edited:

A5

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2000
:hmm: I wonder what the price is unsubsidized. I've been wanting to jump to Android and have no problem going with the Infuse for now until the SG2 gets down in price a bit.

edit: it's still $600 unsubsidized

Are they serious or do people just not buy these phones out of contract? The only reason I'd jump to an Infuse is price but it's still not there yet.

Out of contract sales are tiny in the US, since all the major carriers make you sign a contract either way and don't give you a discount on the monthly rate if you don't take the subsidized phone. T-Mobile tried it for a little bit with their Even More Plus plans, but I think those are dead now. I think most of the out of contract sales are either hard-core enthusiasts or people trying to use smartphones on MVNOs like Virgin, Cricket, etc.