Galaxy S 20 - Do we care?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
I'd be alright with the button layout (it helps that I'm left-handed), but I've heard about the bulk... it feels like the S20 Ultra was an experiment that didn't quite pan out. I'm curious to see how the smaller S20 models fare.
I'm left handed as well but after 10+ years you get used to it. I'll hold off to see what the note 20 brings. The woman did love the fold tho. She wanted it but I can't see laying out that much for mediocre specs.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Who said these 2 are antonyms?
Bruh,people still associate cheap with bad and expensive with good in 2020?
why are you quoting one word? i dont even understand what you are talking about. im not going to use a xiaomi phone sorry, but really have no idea what youare quoting or miss quoting from me. and yes id say YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR 100% in life. thats why i dont buy KIA OR HYUNDI and rather get toyota or honda, if you cheap out then you will most likely have issues. If substandard phones are your thing then move on and be happy with your phone. no reason to go back and forth about how you would rather carry a computer then a expensive phone. SO what! i want as good as possible quality photos that is my priority, even my galaxy s10+ doesnt take good enough photos so i will eventually upgrade to what ever i can. (most likely a cracked back s20 ultra+ or what eveer)

noscop3

Oct 3, 2019
why are you quoting one word? i dont even understand what you are talking about. im not going to use a xiaomi phone sorry, but really have no idea what youare quoting or miss quoting from me. and yes id say YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR 100% in life. thats why i dont buy KIA OR HYUNDI and rather get toyota or honda, if you cheap out then you will most likely have issues. If substandard phones are your thing then move on and be happy with your phone. no reason to go back and forth about how you would rather carry a computer then a expensive phone. SO what! i want as good as possible quality photos that is my priority, even my galaxy s10+ doesnt take good enough photos so i will eventually upgrade to what ever i can. (most likely a cracked back s20 ultra+ or what eveer)
cars are way different than phones.By the way,talking about quality control,I don't recall any xiaomi products exploding and killing people?..hmmm but i do remember that about samsung tho

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Ended up going with the Ultra instead. I had already placed the Plus order, and two days later it was too late to cancel... so chatting with them, they said I could refuse it and it would be returned to Samsung. And a refund would be after. The earbuds already shipped for the Plus though.

With the $200 credit, I got the new earbuds and a $50 case. I dont normally like to carry a huge phone, but I really wanted the camera. When out and about I usually leave my phone in the car anyways, unless going somewhere for a long time or want to take pics. My Samsung watch is LTE and does simple communications just fine to where I dont need a phone. I cant have my phone at work, has to stay in my car. So a large part of the day I am not carrying a phone anyway.

I wouldn t pay the $1,400 straight up, but getting $600 trade in for my S10 Plus made it feel a bit better. Then the free earbuds and case sealed it for me. Yeah there are cheaper phones, but I like Samsung. And I use Samsung pay a lot with my watch.

Reactions: killster1

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
cars are way different than phones.By the way,talking about quality control,I don't recall any xiaomi products exploding and killing people?..hmmm but i do remember that about samsung tho
you seriously have no idea about xiaomi phones exploding also? wowow talk about ignorance. cars are different then phones@!! very intelligent ;) but again you get what you pay for is my example of 99.99999% of things in life. between 90 and 100 note 7's exploded ((out of 2.5 million)) , the reason we dont hear about xiaomi's are NO ONE USES THEM. ive never heard of a single person in my life using one in USA, but if you ask someone if they have owned a apple or samsung phone 100% of the time the answer will be yes (at least with the hundreds of people i have spoke about phones with). xiaomi phones definately have smoked caught on fire and exploded, any lithium battery will explode if you try hard enough. Funny how informed you are or maybe its just selective memory you are using.

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
Just came from a Samsung store that has all their new stuff showcased. Played with the fold Z and it is a really nice feeling gadget. Looked at and ayed with the S20 ultra and it felt odd in hand. Felt too thick and heavy. The main thing I hated about this phone is that all of the buttons are on the right hand side. I just got used to the power button moved tk the left side now the power and volume buttons are all on the right side. Ug.

Samsung is driving me crazy with the buttons...

Galaxy S10 had the power button on the right and volume on the left, and an extra useless button on the left just for giggles.
Galaxy Note 10 the move all the buttons to the left.
Galaxy S20 they move all the buttons to the right.

noscop3

Oct 3, 2019
you seriously have no idea about xiaomi phones exploding also? wowow talk about ignorance. cars are different then phones@!! very intelligent ;) but again you get what you pay for is my example of 99.99999% of things in life. between 90 and 100 note 7's exploded ((out of 2.5 million)) , the reason we dont hear about xiaomi's are NO ONE USES THEM. ive never heard of a single person in my life using one in USA, but if you ask someone if they have owned a apple or samsung phone 100% of the time the answer will be yes (at least with the hundreds of people i have spoke about phones with). xiaomi phones definately have smoked caught on fire and exploded, any lithium battery will explode if you try hard enough. Funny how informed you are or maybe its just selective memory you are using.
oh really?talk about not being informed,xiaomi is the 4th bestselling phone globally right under samsung,apple,huawei(which is 3rd).And talking about ignorance,you hate xiaomi why?Is it that concept that it's made in china?Well sorry to inform you,USA citizen,but samsung is a south korean brand.And yes cars are different than phones.All phones(or almost all) have their CPU made by snapdragon,glass made by corning,etc,the only thing samsung does to them is buy them from quallcom.Cars on the other hand,every brand adds their own touch to the key components,it's not just a coincidence that brands like honda/audi/etc are better than brands like renault.If you can really prove to me how in the world is samsung actually better than xiaomi/oneplus/other brands that ask for what they are actually worth rather than pay for the "samsung" text on the back or the apple who someone took a bite of,I promise I will shut my mouth and let you be a samsung fanboy.The reason nobody you know uses xiaomi is probably because you are part of a group of people that looks after the brand and has no actual idea what's inside or what a benchmark is.
But again,I just advised the OP to try other brands,I have no idea why you turned this into a flaming argument.Probably because you can't stand seeing a phone other than samsung being recommended to people.The OP mentioned the pricing being unconvenient for him,so I suggested money saving options.I never told you to not buy samsung,but it isn't always an option if you're on a limited budget.

Reactions: Tlh97

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
After much internal struggle I decided to upgrade from the Note 10+ to Galaxy S20+.

I couldn't really justify the Ultra in my head. It just seems too big and heavy, even compared to my Note 10+, it's quite a bit taller, heavier, and thicker. And just too big of a camera housing that sticks out too much.

Disappointed in the lack of color choices. In the US we seem to be stuck with grey, black, and a light pastel blue. There is a beautiful Aura Blue model, but it's Best Buy exclusive (in the US). There is a beautiful Red model, but that's Korean exclusive (for now). I see a white model (I wanted this) but don't know where that's even available. Poor Ultra only comes in grey or black period.

I wish Samsung would be more consistent with their color options. I have had white S10 and Note 10 phones, now I had to get a black S20. Oh well, I'll put a skin on it.

Reactions: killster1

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
After much internal struggle I decided to upgrade from the Note 10+ to Galaxy S20+.

I couldn't really justify the Ultra in my head. It just seems too big and heavy, even compared to my Note 10+, it's quite a bit taller, heavier, and thicker. And just too big of a camera housing that sticks out too much.

Disappointed in the lack of color choices. In the US we seem to be stuck with grey, black, and a light pastel blue. There is a beautiful Aura Blue model, but it's Best Buy exclusive (in the US). There is a beautiful Red model, but that's Korean exclusive (for now). I see a white model (I wanted this) but don't know where that's even available. Poor Ultra only comes in grey or black period.

I wish Samsung would be more consistent with their color options. I have had white S10 and Note 10 phones, now I had to get a black S20. Oh well, I'll put a skin on it.

nice to know its actually bigger then a note 10+ that is definitely a turn off, not to mention adding a case will make it even larger in my pocket. (you dont use cases? the color of the phone is not important to me even hot pink would be fine since its in a spegin case usually. ) I really love how a phone feels with out a case but when you have kids they like to grab things and pull them off the counter or accidentally chew on them etc.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Phone Areana has a cool tool that lets you compare phones sizes against other phones. Overlaying them or side by side.
https://www.phonearena.com/phones/S...288/size/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-10+/phones/11190 This link is showing the S20 Ultra against the Note 10+. You can scroll down and type in a phone you want to compare it to.

This shows that the S20 Ultra is just... too big. It's about as tall as ye olde Huawei Ascend Mate, which I've used, and that was a beast to handle. I'd lean toward the S20+ if I were buying. It's a bit taller than I'd like, but it's wider than the slightly narrow standard S20.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Got the phone today. And the earbuds yesterday. I dont get the phone case till the 10th it says... but everything has came early so hopefully it will too. Little unnerving with no case on this phone.

There was a security update out of the box, no OS update. Was very easy to setup, took out my sim and sd card from the S10+, and started the transferring. Took about 2 hours, to get it all 100% up and running. Texts, contacts, apps, settings, etc. Was just like my old phone, on a new phone.

Paid $881 to get the phone, earbuds, transfer usb adapter (that I didnt use) phone case, and 4 months of ad free youtube. Put my earbuds I got last year, the Galaxy buds for $90 on FB, and meeting a guy tomorrow to sell them. So all that for about $800 after all said and done. Got my number to send my S10+ in for the $600, will send it tomorrow. IMG_5183.jpgIMG_5189.jpgIMG_5196.jpgIMG_5191.jpgIMG_5199.jpg

Still playing around with it, and celebrated with some grilling out of venison and few drinks.

Attachments

• IMG_5194.jpg
    IMG_5194.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
I received my Galaxy S20+ Friday. I'm coming from the Note 10+. The screen size is a slight down grade. Same height, but a little more narrow. I did miss the more rounded edges of the S series also. The S20+ feels more comfortable in my hand. Part of me wants the bigger Ultra screen size. But I feel the S20+ is a nice balance of size and comfort.

I immediately switched to 1080p 120hz. I was a little skeptical about the 120hz since I had a hard time noticing the 90hz on the Pixel 4 XL. But I definitely feel how fast and smooth the display is. I love it.

I have only taken a few pictures so far. And I've been very impressed. I think the Ultra camera is a bit over done and there seems to be some issues with focusing. But the S20+ has a more traditional camera set and it's been working great out of the box.

I got the 128gb model and installed a 256gb Samsung Evo. Plenty of storage.

I love the 12gb of ram. Paired with the feature that allows me to always keep 3 apps loaded in memory. I hope this feature comes down to the Note 10 as well.

The in-screen finger printer scanner sucks the same as the S10 and Note 10. Disappointing this hasn't improved a bit. I still have to press multiple times times to unlock the phone. And the facial ID has been even worse. So getting into this phone does take too long. I miss rear fingerprint scanners. But it's not a deal breaker. Just an extra couple seconds to unlock the phone.

I got the cosmic black from Verizon. I wish Samsung would start making matte glass options like Google and Apple. And the color options where scattered depending on where you you buy from, I couldn't buy the white model I preferred. But ordered a matte clear skin and will put on a case so it'll be okay.

Pretty happy so far.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
It's not that people think they are getting nothing in return, it's just a bad trade. Google are raking in billions in profits from that data and all you are getting is a free search engine, email and mapping service. As consumers we should be demanding much much more from our personal data.

The trouble is people cannot easily put a value on their personal data because they've never had to think of it as a form of currency. Right now most people are putting far too small a price on their data (else google wouldn't be raking in billions in profits). The best way to think about your personal data is to think of it as a resource that has a monetary value. Think about how much you feel your data is worth in that way and then assess whether you can get an equivalent paid for service from someone else for less.

E.g., if you value your personal data at £10 per month, you are effectively paying google £10 per month for their services. If you can get all of the same services from another company for £5 per month and they aren't monetising your data then you are paying too much for google services.

EDIT - On a related but different topic it was really interesting when I asked people at work why they accepted paying money for Sky TV but are also shown adverts. They hadn't thought of the fact that Sky are essentially double-dipping, charging you money for the service and then raking in money from advertising too! It just doesn't cross people's minds that their personal data and attention has value.

If you don't think that every last tech company is harvesting your data you are mistaken. The money is in data. You think that banks most valuable assets are dollars? No. That would be data. Apple harvests your data as well. But you're right. Choose whom you want to do business with. I choose Android over iOS because I don't like being locked to Apple's ecosystem.

Reactions: Tlh97

mrochester

Aug 16, 2014
If you don't think that every last tech company is harvesting your data you are mistaken. The money is in data. You think that banks most valuable assets are dollars? No. That would be data. Apple harvests your data as well. But you're right. Choose whom you want to do business with. I choose Android over iOS because I don't like being locked to Apple's ecosystem.

Just locked to Google’s instead 😋

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
I have a Note 10+ and I see no reason to go for the S20.

First of all, because the phone is so new, there are no good cases, and even less compatible screen protectors. I had this issue when I got my Note, and I'm not going down that road again. This really is a friggin big deal!

Second, while the processor is only MARGINALLY better, the S20 does not have an S Pen, and that is a huge drawback.

And third, even though the camera was originally somewhat better on the S20, this is no longer the case after Samsung pushed out an update to increase camera performance on the Note 10+.

So basically, wasting few hundred more to upgrade to S20 seems like a horrible decision. Going to wait for Note 11 Plus, unless they start asking like $1400 for it, in which case I'll have to wait about 5-6 months after initial release for it to drop down a bit.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
I just got the S20 on Monday. I moved from an Essential Phone. I was having too many issues with the device and had been researching possible replacements. The build on the Essential beats the plastic S20 hands down. The Samsung feels cheap. Even the supplied USB type C cable is cheap. No comparison.

But the screen is way better on the S20. The 120Hz refresh rate makes things so fluid. The phone itself super quick and responsive. The only drawback is that you have to downgrade the resolution to FHD+ (2400 x 1080) to use the 120Hz. If you are trying to save battery, I'd turn the rez down to 60Hz. I suppose next year's model (Samsung Galaxy S30) will be able to do WQHD+ while maintaining the faster refresh rates. Whatever the case, count me in as sold.

The S20 is not that good at voice recognition. Lots of errors. I'm hoping it improves over time. I haven't been catching the errors all the time.

I sure wish Samsung just went with stock Android. Spent considerable time customizing everything. I'm re-learning Samsung toggle buttons. I had the Note 3 some years back so it's been a while.

Got a thin minimalist case from Spigen. I went with that case because I wanted a pocket-able phone. The S20+ and the S20 Ultra are way too big for my pockets (and my wallet!). The S20 is similar in width to the Essential.

UuVi5WSm.jpg
7RUxFeDm.jpg
JAIvQnMm.jpg

The finger recognition leaves a lot to be desired. I get that it works. It just doesn't work that smoothly. You shouldn't have to learn how to use it. It's too picky on finger placement. Also, it's hard to do the finger recognition one handed. The sensor should be mid screen instead of at the bottom so you can hold on to your device a little easier.

I'm used to the buttons on the right side.

I use the camera a lot. Despite good hardware, the Essential Phone's camera sucked in low light and in motion. The S20 is not only a superior camera, it is one of the best ones available in a smartphone. I haven't tried shooting any video, let alone an 8K video. I'll probably see what it can do this weekend.

The S20 comes with a screen protector already put on the screen.

I don't care about the headphone jack. At home I have a desktop and awesome sounding speakers. On the road, I connect via Bluetooth to my Alpine. At work, I don't listen to music. I've got a headset that I connect via Bluetooth.

I'm glad they have a microSD slot. I ordered a 512GB San Disk Extreme card. I will put it in when it is delivered.

The signal is stronger with the S20. The Essential had poor reception.

The S20 is considerably lighter than the Essential. This will save my poor hands.

Did I mention 5G??!!! I ran a speed test at work. Looks good to me!

hFPUvYHl.jpg

I hate paying $1000 for a phone. However, Amazon had the phone on sale for $799 and I get 5% back on my Visa.

Overall, it's a nice upgrade. For a grand, you'd think the build would be a little bit better. The hardware is top notch though. I've got T-Mobile. As soon as the merger was effective, T-Mobile took all of Sprint's sub-6 frequencies and used it for 5G. I could notice the difference right away.

I'm keeping my Essential as a backup.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Picked up a regular S20. 120 MHz is a dream but this fingerprint scanner is horrendous, it's gotta be a deal breaker for some. The original pricing by Samsung is a wishful thinking, and they are now pulling all kinds of discount tricks. Just in their website, there are no less than 3 types of discounts you can mix and match:

- Buyback guarantee for half the price
- $200 discount for unlocked models
- Trade-in including phones w/ cracked screens

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
just bought a s20 ultra with bad esn for 800$ new on ebay. i sure hope it works with my redpocket simcards ;O think i made a mistake and should have waited or bought the s20+ but when it gets here ill find out, have a s10+ 512gb so the s20ultra 128gb kinda sounds lame but also have 512gb micro sd's laying around so guess it should be ok ;( just hope the camera is good with low light. sigh.. 800$ for a phone cant believe i did it.

clubmember57

Apr 23, 2020
followmetothetrail.blogspot.com
I picked up the S20 at a Microsoft store when it first came out. I did not like the look or the feel of it. I must prefer my Note 10 Plus. No thanks. Ill wait till the next note and see what comes out. I did order a Motorola S Power just for the hell of it. Always need a good back up phone...

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
well my s20 ultra arrived today, i took photos took telezoom photos and made videos right away, what i did notice was the videos took a while to autofocus no matter what settings i choose. i took side by side video with s10+ and s20ultra and notice the ultra bluring all to frequently, i decided i will return the s20 ultra and am very sad now. maybe a update would have solved it, not sure i guess i can search youtube if i have any extra time allotted.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
purchased a s20+ after returning the s20 ultra (same price but 512gb instead) the focus issue is not there anymore. one hand use is very easy and everything seems good with my usage so far. cant think of anything i dont like about it (except the price of 800 freaking $$$) at least i didnt have to pay to unlock it or anything

jhansman

Platinum Member
Feb 5, 2004
You two need to stop derailing the thread with the arguing and insults.
If you don't, there will be infractions.

AT Mod Usandthem

Thank you! Being cooped up as we are brings out the nasties on these forums (who may well be like that anyway), but I'm pleased to see the mods stepping in.