Galaxy Note vs Galaxy S III vs EVO 4G LTE

MChao1

Aug 28, 2006
Hello all,

I was hoping I could get some people opinions on this. So here is the situation. I currently have an old school HTC EVO 4G, it's showing it's age.

I originally wanted the EVO 4G LTE, but since the One series multi task issues, I am having second thoughts. Since the EVO 4G LTE is more or less the same phone.

I don't really have a preference for carries and wouldn't mind the giant size of the Note.

Thanks for you time/help

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
There's a lot of confirmation bias going on - people here about a problem, believe they see it on their own device, then blog about it, letting the cycle continue again and again. I don't think the One X really has that major of a multi-tasking issue. When I used it full time for 2 weeks, I never thought to myself (why did this app close?).

One other thing, what carrier are you thinking about switching to, because I don't think Sprint is going to be getting the Galaxy Note.

MChao1

Aug 28, 2006
You could be right about the confirmation bias. But there are quite a few youtube videos out there showing this problem. I found this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Uo5f2vSxo

I wouldn't mind AT&T since that is where my parents have their family plan. But Verizon of T Mobile would be ok with me too.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
The EVO 4G's multitasking will either be fixed by an update from HTC, or the XDA community. I have a Note and it's horribly laggy in stock form. I flashed the ICS 4.0.4 official leak and it's still kind of choppy feeling imho. I like the size of the screen a lot, and the S-pen's pretty damn cool, but it doesn't feel like a dual core device to me. EVO 4G has the s4 chip, the Note has the s3. I had a One X prior to the Note, and it was noticeably faster.

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
You could be right about the confirmation bias. But there are quite a few youtube videos out there showing this problem. I found this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7Uo5f2vSxo

I wouldn't mind AT&T since that is where my parents have their family plan. But Verizon of T Mobile would be ok with me too.

AT&T is going to have the best selection of phones for a long time because they are GSM-based and don't require explicit approval of the carrier (see Galaxy Nexus). Plus, Verizon's refusal to bring the Galaxy S II and HTC One X to their network doesn't really bode well for future devices.

MChao1

Aug 28, 2006
QueBert, thanks for your reply. I guess I'll try to play with the phones more at the store today.

dagamer34, seems like to me Verizon is pretty much Motorola phones as far as high end android phones.

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002
QueBert, thanks for your reply. I guess I'll try to play with the phones more at the store today.

dagamer34, seems like to me Verizon is pretty much Motorola phones as far as high end android phones.

A week into having my Note I'll say I honestly don't even think about it's size when I'm using it. It is sort of crazy how small other phones seem when I have to use a friends iPhone or something though. Only thing that I find semi annoying is it seems 90% of people who see the phone can't help but comment on how big is it. One even asked "can you make calls with it?"
"umm it's a phone"
"ohh, it's so big I figured it was a tablet"

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
A week into having my Note I'll say I honestly don't even think about it's size when I'm using it. It is sort of crazy how small other phones seem when I have to use a friends iPhone or something though. Only thing that I find semi annoying is it seems 90% of people who see the phone can't help but comment on how big is it. One even asked "can you make calls with it?"
"umm it's a phone"
"ohh, it's so big I figured it was a tablet"

People spend far more time surfing the web than on phone calls that I think the "holding it up to your head" argument is silly. It's like judging the appeal of an HDTV on it's thinness when you spend 99.999% of your time looking at it from straight on!

MChao1

Aug 28, 2006
Well I just got back from the Sprint store and found out that I can pay just $60 to get out of my contract to go to another carrier or pay $45 to start another 2 year contract. So I put my name down on the list for the EVO 4G LTE.

I know the international version of the note uses a different chip than the US one. I know that Samsung won't honor the warranty, so I am a little bit worried about that.

Edit: The international note will work on HSPA+ http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1437805

Last edited: