Gainward Power pack Ultra/650 Ti4200 128mb

jack5577

Jun 29, 2002
Hi,

I just bought Gainward's Ti4200 128mb card after reading the review on this site. I'm having some trouble with it, and though I'm new to this board, it seems a lot of great advice is given out and discussed..so if you can offer any suggestions, that would be great.

My system: AMD 1.33ghz Thunderbird, Abit KT7A motherboard, 640 mb pc133 ram, SB Live!, Generic 250W power supply, 2hd's, 2 cdroms.

I installed the card, reinstalled the via4in1 v4.37, downloaded and installed gainward's 29.80 drivers. And reinstalled directx 8.1. 3DMark 2001SE worked well and benchmarked the card no problem, I was very impressed. Howerver, here is were my problem starts. With basically any intensive 3D game, ie, GTA3, Flashopoint1985, IL-2 Sturmovik I will get a hard lock up within a few minutes of playing, it's not always the same time, it seems to only happen when things get really intensive, sometimes it will studder a bit then freeze. An arrow cursor will appear as if I'm on the desktop but the frozen screen is still there and there is nothing I can do. Also, sometimes it smears the colors around as it freezes (horizontally).

Just for kicks, I switched back down to AGP 2x from AGP 4x in my bios. it now seems you can go a little longer before you lock up, and now it will give an error message, a page fault I think, then kicks me to desktop. I also got a message after a crash to desktop when trying to restart GTA3, saying I needed more than 12mb memory, not sure if this might indicate bad memory on the card, or that the vid memory was still reserved after the crash and it couldn't find more than 12mb.

In any case, the problem is persisting. My thoughts are one of two things: Either the memory on the card is bad or the power supply I have can't cut it. With maybe the remote possibility of some sort of driver error. But that seems remote as I have installed all the latest via drivers as well as vid card drivers.

Any ideas? Am I on the right track, I'm going to trya nd geta power supply to eliminate that avenue.

Thanks for your time,
Jack

Instagib

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2002
Are you using Expert Tool by chance? If you are try running without it. How is the venilation in your case? Could be a heat issue. also try a diff det. driver.

jack5577

Jun 29, 2002
Hi, I've tried the newest Det drivers as well as the previous version. Right now I don't have any sides of the case on, so ventilation should not be a problem. I also used Detonatordestoyer to avoid conflicts when switching drivers to be on the safe side.

You really think it is a heat problem?
Jack

PuppettMaster001

Golden Member
May 11, 2002
you might want to try a little bit more powerful power supply those geforce4s are power hogs. Seriously I think that is what your problem is.

Actaeon

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2000
Originally posted by: PuppettMaster001
you might want to try a little bit more powerful power supply those geforce4s are power hogs. Seriously I think that is what your problem is.

Ah, I believe that is the correct answer.

Try out another powersupply. Perferably a CONSTANT 300+Watt (not "max power" as most crappy PSU's say).

If you got a friend, you can borrow his, or you could try out your Videocard in his CPU.

Also, what card were you using before your Ti4200? Did you delete the drivers?