Gainward Golden Sample

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
Gainward does HD 4850 Golden Sample

HD 4850 Golden Sample pic

700MHz GPU

The latest addition to ATI's merry family of AIB partners, Gainward, has announced yet another card in its HD 4800 series of graphics cards, the HD 4850 Golden Sample. For those that aren't familiar with the Gainward Golden Sample series, these are the cards than come with non-reference cooling and are usually factory overclocked.

The new HD 4850 Golden Sample works at 700MHz for the GPU and comes with 512MB of GDDR3 memory clocked, or better yet overclocked to 1,100MHz (2.2GHz). Just to give you a clear picture of the overclock, the reference card works at 625MHz for the core and 1,986MHz for memory.

As it was the case with all the previous Golden Sample series cards, the new Gainward HD 4850 GS also uses non-reference cooling. A massive heatsink with dual heatpipes with and a center placed fan is used to cool this card.

We are hoping that we will see the Golden Sample HD 4870 card soon, as Gainward appears to be very serious about its lineup of ATI cards.

unr3al

Jun 10, 2008
www.link-up.co.za
I hope it can actually be overclocked a good bit further, otherwise the (usual) premium you pay for a Golden Sample just isn't worth it. Could get a cheapo HD4850 and clock it up with something like an S2. Then again, if the GS can get a decent overclock on top of the rather nice work Gainward put into it already (that memory clock is great seeing as the 2GB HD4850 I saw suffers from a lack in bandwidth) we could see some impressive performance numbers from a midrange card. More sweating for nVidia... LOL

Hunt3rj2

Jun 23, 2008
I hope that the custom cooler can keep the temps below 60 C at any load for any time. I would definitely be getting one of those if it works better then an S1 or a Twin Turbo.

sticks435

Jun 30, 2008
Gainwards are no longer available in the US, so unless you want to pay for import charges, no go.

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
Why does the Fudzilla link say the memory will be clocked at 2200 while the Tweaktown article states 2000 ?

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Originally posted by: sticks435
Gainwards are no longer available in the US, so unless you want to pay for import charges, no go.

Ahh, you beat me to it. Gainward used to be my favorite card maker, BTW. I always bought the Golden Samples, and was always impressed with them.

sticks435

Jun 30, 2008
Originally posted by: myocardia
Originally posted by: sticks435

Ahh, you beat me to it. Gainward used to be my favorite card maker, BTW. I always bought the Golden Samples, and was always impressed with them.
Yep. I had a GS ti4200, and ran it for like 3 years. Never had a problem, and overlocked like a wet dream.