Gainward Geforce2 PRO 450?

YeloAggie

Feb 7, 2002
Do anyone have this card. I bought it from Newegg a few months ago and now need the driver CD. The reason being is Warcraft III cannot initalize Direct X 8.1 and its because of the Windows XP driver. If anyone have this CD or knows how to fix my problem I will Paypal $10.00 to you.

Blurry

Mar 19, 2002
Just go to nVidia's download section and download the latest drivers. Then if you want, go to Gainward's site and download the Expertool utility.

sep

Platinum Member
Aug 1, 2001
Got this card running in my gaming rig. Let me know what you need and I'll help you out.

You definitly need to install the latest drivers from Nvidia's site. I have no problem running anything @220/475.

Actaeon

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2000
Don't paypal anyone here $10, unless they are selling you the CD.

If they are giving you a simple easy fix, consider it a favor from us at Anandtech.

But yes, do what they said, download the drivers from Nvidia., and then go to Gainward's Page, and download the driver utlity.

YeloAggie

Feb 7, 2002
No luck guys. I think the problem is that Windows thinks that my card is a Geforce2 GTS. That is what it has in the device manager. So when I download the lastest version it is new driver for the GTS and not my PRO. Any other suggestions? Or can I maybe get a copy of someone's driver cd or the file sent to me? Sep maybe you can help.

Boogak

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2000
Originally posted by: YeloAggie
No luck guys. I think the problem is that Windows thinks that my card is a Geforce2 GTS. That is what it has in the device manager. So when I download the lastest version it is new driver for the GTS and not my PRO. Any other suggestions? Or can I maybe get a copy of someone's driver cd or the file sent to me? Sep maybe you can help.

Well, technically the GeForce2 GTS/Pro/Ultra are all the same card, just different clock speeds and different memory speeds. If you're downloading the drivers from Nvidia.com, there's only 1 set of unified drivers for all their video cards. Maybe you're getting the drivers for the wrong OS? Mebbe you should also re-install DirectX 8.1 too.

sep

Platinum Member
Aug 1, 2001
YeloAggie,

Boogak is correct. I remember seeing GTS everywhere, but when I drill down in the settings I see the Pro label.

Is this card a refurb? If so return it ASAP before your return date expires. Do you have another game you can try? Use one that uses D3D and OpenGL or whatever Warcraft III uses (I think D3D). If other games don't have the problem it might be related to the install or something with Warcraft. What Video Card did you have install before this one? If it wasn't an Nvidia card, make sure the drivers/utils are no longer on the PC. Try reinstalling DirectX 8.1x (latest) on your computer. Have you looked at Warcraft's site to see if others are having similar problems?

Just as an FYI - I've never used the Gainward Drivers. I always used Nvidia's general drivers & clock/memory ocling (ROCK stable at 220/475). This weekend I'm going to check out RivaTuner.

Subscribed to thread...

YeloAggie

Feb 7, 2002
I will try again with the Nvidia website but as far as Direct X 8.1... I think that is on Windows Xp Pro and I just reinstalled for this purpose. When I tried Nvidia's new driver that video card had a yellow circle with a ! in, so it was not working properly. I tried to run dxdiag and disable direct3d and that option is not there. Does my card support it?

sep

Platinum Member
Aug 1, 2001
Dude! I remember someone posting about this card and motherboard having the same problem. Try searching the archive for Gainward or something like that.

Make sure the card is seated correctly. Get the detonator destorer software to remove all NVIDIA drivers.

Let us know...

Boogak

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2000
Found this little bit of tidbit off this thread, the poster was having the same DirectX 8.1 problems as you. The steps below fixed his problem, hope it works for you too!

Originally posted by: DarkFudge2000
Omni...dont listen to anymore suggestions except for mine. While they were all in good intent, they will not solve your problem and possibly aid to further screw up your setup if you make a mistake somewhere!

Here's what you do...and listen carefully and do exactly as I say step for step....you can thank me afterwards.

1. Go into your run command and type DXDIAG, this will start the Direct X tool
2. goto the tab that says DISPLAY
3. hit the DISABLE for Direct3D Acceleration only and then CLOSE the application. Dont run any tests or make any other changes.
4. After the application is closed, RERUN DXDIAG and goto the display setting again and now ENABLE the Direct3D Acceleration button. You can now safely run the TEST DIRECT 3D button and it should successfully run the Direct X 7 test then it 'should' successfuly run the Direct X 8 test as well. If it does NOT complete the Direct X 8 part and gives you some sort of error message, REPEAT the steps above, you may not have correctly did them in order the first time

Once both Direct x 7 & 8 tests run the spinning textured cube successfuly, go launch your games and enjoy

sep

Platinum Member
Aug 1, 2001
Let me know what you want and I send you a copy of whatever...PM or email!

Blurry

Mar 19, 2002
Don't worry if your computer says its a GTS. There is virtually no difference between the Pro and the GTS. In fact, the both cards have the same core. The only thing you need to make sure of is the clock speed. If the clock speed is correct, then there is no real problem.

YeloAggie

Feb 7, 2002
Ok i tried everything now and it still does not work. Does this card suport 3d? Maybe a dumb question but hey I'm no scientist. How do I check my video clock speed?

zShowtimez

Nov 20, 2001
Ive been haveing the same exact problem with my MSI GeForce2 Pro. I would open Warcraft 3, or most any application useing Direct 3D, and they would comment on how no rendering device could be found. Im running Windows 2000 pro. I decied that a clean format would help it out anyway. So I formatted, and reinstalled directX 8 and the Nvidia drivers. To keep it short, everything works perfect now.

sep

Platinum Member
Aug 1, 2001
Yes the card supports 3D. Right click on your desktop, select Properties, select the upper tab settings, then select below Advanced, then (doing this from memory) the tab labled Nvidia Geforce2, then at the bottom additional settings and then finally the upper tab Frequencies. This should show your default clock setting and enable you to overclock. Default settings should be 200 x 400 (I'm I right guys?).

Other utilities show it elsewhere...

Big question here! Anyone know if you have to have a card that support dx8 or higher to play this latest version of Warcraft? If that's the case then you cannot play this game with this card. It's a dx7 optimized card and doesn't support any dx8 features. Check the Warcraft box for min requirements...look for dx8 video card support.

I'll look at what my video is being displayed as and let you know. Also, is there a demo of this game I can download and try? This will tell us if the card is supported.

-JC

Boogak

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2000
I've got a few friends that are running Warcraft 3 fine on GeForce2's. Not sure what the problem is... I'd do what the other folks have done and just reformat and reinstall your OS. When in doubt, blow everything away!!

ku

Golden Member
Mar 11, 2001
lol, this might be a dumb question to ask but have you installed direct x 8.1? go to windows update or the microsoft site and download it. Or use one of your game cds to install 8.1

YeloAggie

Feb 7, 2002
i have tried to reinstall Windows XP but it seems like you all want me to reformat? Ok imma try this weekend and hopefully this will work. And yes I think I have Direct 8.1, it comes with XP right? Oh well I'll just reformat.

sep

Platinum Member
Aug 1, 2001
YeloAggie,

Please inform us of your previous video card. Before reformatting I think it's worth running the detonator destoryer or whatever it's called to remove all previous versions.

Also, did you have a previous version of Warcraft (beta, demo, etc.) installed? If so, remove it and the full version, delete the directories left over and reboot.

-JC

YeloAggie

Feb 7, 2002
Sep to answer your comments:

1.)This is the first system I have ever built
2.)I don't even have the nvidia detonater utility so should I run the destroyer?
3.)Where can I find a detonater destroyer for Windows XP?
3.)No previous versions of Warcraft
4.)I have removed and re-installed Warcraft - didn't work

I will still try and reformat later this weekend bc I still have to use my cpu for school but I will try to use the destroyer. Thanks for everyone's help!