gah!!! resolution changes when i close the lid of my dell inspiron laptop

tami

Lifer
Nov 14, 2004
i just cleanly reinstalled windows, all updated drivers, etc. this is an inspiron 8500 with radeon 9000 drivers (all up to date). i like my computer to be in an always-on mode so i have it set to "do nothing" when i close the lid of my laptop.

as in the previous config (prior to the reinstall), the resolution would change on my laptop to a non-typical 1680x1050 res, but that was fine, because when i opened the lid of the laptop once again, all my open windows would restore themselves as they were before.

however, ever since i did this clean reinstall, i believe i have the SAME settings down -- but when i close the lid of my laptop, the resolution changes AND my windows all resize (and bunch up to the top left corner of my screen, which is a pain!)

anyone know how to circumvent this windows resizing issue? i don't care about the resolution changing, since i don't see it when it's closed. dell support proved no help to me.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Check your power options properties (Control Panel), advanced, andsee what you have selected for the computer to do when you close the lid. I select "Do Nothing."

Then, the next question - are you running at your laptop's Native Resolution?

tami

Lifer
Nov 14, 2004
yes, as i said in the OP, "i like my computer to be in an always-on mode so i have it set to "do nothing" when i close the lid of my laptop."

my laptop's native resolution is 1680x1050. that is how i use it. anything smaller would give the laptop a very fuzzy appearance and it's definitely not preferred.

i'm hoping it's just some kind of registry tweak to prevent this from happening (i want the screen to turn off when the lid is closed, but i could do without the windows resizing as a result of the resolution change)

corkyg

Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
If it is at N/R, and you have "Do Nothing" set, then it should do nothing. Is hibernation disabled or enabled?

Just curious - I closed the lid of m laptop slowly, and just before it clicks shut, it turns off the backlight. It pops right back on when I slightly open the lid.

Resolution does not change. Wierd!

tami

Lifer
Nov 14, 2004
yeah, weird. i disabled all types of hibernation... it used to work before. :( so odd. i wish there was a way to change this...

corkyg

Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
That is really good sleuthing, Tami. Give yourself a big pat on the back. I'll store it away in my trivia banks. :)

tami

Lifer
Nov 14, 2004
yeah, dell apologized for not living up to its standards. i'm hoping that they actually acknowledge this issue in a future driver update.