Gah, I don't understand how some people fail so bad at money management.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
My cousin has a bachelor's degree in EE, doesn't have a job, and is having some immigration issues. He can't seem to get a green card in the US, so he's moving to Canada.

So... doesn't have a job, doesn't have money saved up.

Bought a brand new $18,000 Toyota Corolla. Didn't try to bargain at all (because he didn't know how, apparently) and just took the dealer price.

Paid it all via a 0% APR for one year credit card. Jumps to 20% afterwards.

Admits he has no idea how he's going to pay it all off within a year. If he can't, good-bye credit score.

I don't know about you, but if I had no job and was strapped for cash, I would have bought a reliable $1000 beater. Ugh...

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: fuzzybabybunny
My cousin has a bachelor's degree in EE, doesn't have a job, and is having some immigration issues. He can't seem to get a green card in the US, so he's moving to Canada.

Bought a brand new $18,000 Toyota Corolla. Didn't try to bargain at all (because he didn't know how, apparently) and just took the dealer price.

Admits he has no idea how he's going to pay it all off within a year. If he can't, good-bye credit score.

I don't know about you, but if I had no job and was strapped for cash, I would have bought a reliable $1000 beater. Ugh...

Why do you care?

jaqie

Platinum Member
Apr 6, 2008
Definitely indicative of the idioticness of many people... it is just sad some people are so stupid with finances, and I never understood how people can be like that.

fuzzybabybunny

Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: JS80

Why do you care?

Why do you care that I care?

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Yes, because having a college degree automatically makes you smarter than everybody who doesn't. Oh wait...

fuzzybabybunny

Jan 2, 2006
Originally posted by: Baked
Yes, because having a college degree automatically makes you smarter than everybody who doesn't. Oh wait...

I was simply providing some reference to where he is in life. But it looks like he should've taken some money management classes in addition to EE courses. Or at least decided somewhere along the line that it's probably a good idea to figure out this money thing.

tigersty1e

Golden Member
Dec 13, 2004
I don't understand how so many people are in credit card debt.... 10K, 20K, even 100K debt.

Don't people understand that a credit card is not free money?

I was reading an article about how some people were going to use their tax rebate money. Some wife and husband had no jobs for 2 years (or something like this) amassed 25K in debt from credit cards and will pay off the debt.

gamepad

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2005
Originally posted by: Baked

I was simply providing some reference to where he is in life. But it looks like he should've taken some money management classes in addition to EE courses. Or at least decided somewhere along the line that it's probably a good idea to figure out this money thing.

Is a money management class required to know not to spend $18,000 when one has no money or income? That's just common sense.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: JS80

Why do you care?

Why do you care that I care?

I don't.

flunky nassau

Feb 17, 2007
I thought money management was something really hard to do, so I read a bunch of finance books (ie Personal Finance for Dummies, etc). I thought I would get great insight, but it turns out they all said the same thing:

Save your money, and don't spend more than you make.

I don't think i learned anything from these books that common sense didn't already tell me to do.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: George P Burdell
Originally posted by: spidey07
One thing I've learned is you can't live other peoples lives for them.

Can I have an amen?

Sure you can. But it's a simple truth - you can't live other peoples lives for them.

People will make their own decisions and choices, no matter how stupid they may be depending on your point of view.

What seems like a great idea to one is a stupid one to another. But I do agree that people generally make very bad decisions regarding finances. One needs to look no further than posts on this board about their justification regarding housing, loans, cars, etc. without understanding the consequences of their decisions.

But hey, we were all young and stupid at one point. I'm just older and not so stupid, but still stupid.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Almost rivals my dad dipping into his 401K and IRAs to pay for frivolous junk such as a new tractor and more HAM radio equipment. For all his trash talk of people on welfare and retirees living on social security, he's likely going to be one of them.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Originally posted by: tigersty1e
I don't understand how so many people are in credit card debt.... 10K, 20K, even 100K debt.

Don't people understand that a credit card is not free money?

I was reading an article about how some people were going to use their tax rebate money. Some wife and husband had no jobs for 2 years (or something like this) amassed 25K in debt from credit cards and will pay off the debt.

It is hard for people to resist being able to pay for stuff "later." Most people probably don't figure that they will get in over their heads. It probably happens gradually also.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
I guess some people are brought up and taught differently with respects to handling money. I ain't no super saver or to be honest really that smart with my money but I'd never fucking do what your cousin did. Hopefully he'll learn in the future.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
that's not just money management, that is plain stupidity.

Proof college is just an extension of high school today.

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: alkemyst
that's not just money management, that is plain stupidity.

Proof college is just an extension of high school today.

not really, college does not teach money management and shouldn't becuase like it was said earlier, this is common sense.

You should learn money management skills before you get to college.