Gad dammet. How can I FORCE an over-bearing proxy server at work to update it's cache of something specific?

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
!@#!@#ing NCR. They run everything out of Ohio so I'm up the creek here in Peachtree City, GA. The problem is that their damn web proxy aggressively caches stuff and never updates it. For instance, if I changed, fixed or resized an image and re-uploaded it, I can never tell if it worked or not because their server will keep handing me the cached image FOR MONTHS OR LONGER.

For instance, months ago, forum member minendo's pics.apartment808.com started blocking embedded or linked-to images from all but an approved list of domains. After viewing a thread of mine at work, it cached the "Bad Referral Link" image. Months later, he has white-listed the forum. I make another thread and link to my image and it still says Bad Referral Link. I go back to pics.apartment808.com and it shows the same thing there too! All other images work fine, just not this one which got cached.

This has cause some extremely strange, time-wasting and annoying behavior. Sometimes I simply can not do what I need to do after wasting hours trying to do it. How can I circumvent it and download the updated HTML or picture? Can I somehow tell it to refresh it's own cache? Browser refreshes do nothing...

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Awesome. Just awesome. Simpler than I could have imagined ;) Thanks!

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
I think the ctrl+f5 is a client side fix. So maybe it wasn't your company's proxy server after all :xfile;

Kilrsat

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2001
ctrl-f5 will send a request to the proxy server to get a new copy of the page. I forgot the exact details of how, but yes, if you need to use ctrl-f5 it is the proxy causing the issue.

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Kilrsat
ctrl-f5 will send a request to the proxy server to get a new copy of the page. I forgot the exact details of how, but yes, if you need to use ctrl-f5 it is the proxy causing the issue.

Brain is going offline now, I learned my new thing for the day. Thanks. :D

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Originally posted by: n0cmonkey
Originally posted by: Kilrsat

Brain is going offline now, I learned my new thing for the day. Thanks. :D

Well, apparently the proxy is still doing something weird. I still see the "Bad Referal Link" message when I see the embedded image until I press CTRL + F5. When I revisit the page later, it'll be the blocked referral image again. Although both the embedded image and the image available at the actual source URL were replaced with "Bad Ref. Link" msg, after using CTRL + F5 on both, only the embedded one keeps reverting.

masul0100

Jun 19, 2001
What's really a b!tch is a proxy storing flash content and trying to update it and see changes on the live server... it keeps throwing the same file. I wish the admins would ignore .fla and other such files.

Masul