Gabe From The Penny Arcade Inks On Surface Pro

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008
Nice!
Always good to see a review from someone that actually uses a device for a real world task, and not just the usual digital navel lint gazing.

Almost makes me want a Surface. Almost.

ChronoReverse

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2004
He's been using a TabletPC with a wacom digitizer for a while now so the Surface Pro is just a modern update on that. There are a number of things the Surface Pro is really good at and this is/should be one of them.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
"For a digital artist" he writes after solving the problems he ran into.
I'll pass. Has some nice features but none for what i would want as 16:9 for reading e mags kinda sucks.

notposting

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2005
I think the point I've really taken from the positive reviews is that if you want to replace a couple devices, it really does rock. Works well enough as a tablet, well enough as a laptop, etc. But in a straight up battle against any one device it falls short.

Kingbee13

Jul 17, 2007
I think the point I've really taken from the positive reviews is that if you want to replace a couple devices, it really does rock. Works well enough as a tablet, well enough as a laptop, etc. But in a straight up battle against any one device it falls short.

Yeap, a jack of many trades, but isn't that the point of a convergence device? I feel the inking is a small niche thing that I have no need of, but at least it gives the surface a niche.

Hopefully Haswell will bring these into their own, better gaming, better battery life, and maybe windows blue will improve on some rough spots.

In a generation or 2 I could see myself replacing my laptop and tablet with a surface pro like device, but not yet. I'll be happy to get to a 3 device rotation, my desktop, phone and whatever can be a decent enough tablet and laptop at once.

Imaginer

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
My thoughts with Gabe is exactly the reason I considered the Samsung Smart PC Pro 700T and eventually getting the Surface Pro 128GB.

This and leveraging all previous Windows programs along with modern Windows programs is a huge reasoning why I can't find myself adopting a entire new software platform and keeping up with it.

I feel that people are stuck cemented in being introduced to whatever new platform they come across and stick to it feverously like a religion. I stuck with Windows because it works with what I have.

Beyond simple communication means and viewing means, I will take a convergence device.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
I feel that people are stuck cemented in being introduced to whatever new platform they come across and stick to it feverously like a religion. I stuck with Windows because it works with what I have.

I think this is the exact reason why when iOS and OSX merge, it will be the OSX side that dies. Way more iOS users.

ilkhan

Golden Member
Jul 21, 2006
Yeap, a jack of many trades, but isn't that the point of a convergence device? I feel the inking is a small niche thing that I have no need of, but at least it gives the surface a niche.

Hopefully Haswell will bring these into their own, better gaming, better battery life, and maybe windows blue will improve on some rough spots.

In a generation or 2 I could see myself replacing my laptop and tablet with a surface pro like device, but not yet. I'll be happy to get to a 3 device rotation, my desktop, phone and whatever can be a decent enough tablet and laptop at once.
Aye.
I wouldn't buy a gen 1, but if they stick a haswell in it, with a thunderbolt port port for more powerful external graphics/screens, I could replace my laptop with one.

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
Aye.
I wouldn't buy a gen 1, but if they stick a haswell in it, with a thunderbolt port port for more powerful external graphics/screens, I could replace my laptop with one.

I'd also want some thunderbolt pins in the docking area so there could be a docking station with a full line of ports.

Puddle Jumper

Platinum Member
Nov 4, 2009
Good review, it's nice to see such a viable option for real power users instead of the "power users" who think Flipboard and foursquare are killer apps for tablets.

Wonderful Pork

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2005
I think the surface pro would be fantastic to use as a business device, since it runs full Office apps (which is mostly what I use at work anyway) but they keep putting multiple cameras on the things so they'll never be allowed at my company for 'security issues'.