[G3D] Call Of Duty Black Ops II VGA Graphics performance

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
There are dedicated servers but not in the traditional sense. Matchmaking still is how you get games I guess.

Something like that.

Calling out the source engine? They don't release a game every year and they don't try to play it off as if it's some new fantastic engine that will wow you. Valve knows the limitations of the engine, but I'll be honest. The source engine looks multiple times better than CoD.

As for having issues on SLI etc. Nvidia even released a beta driver that specifically stated an increase in performance for the game. Still runs like crap.

Source is old, but at least the games they release on it typically aren't that expensive and often have mod potential instead of locked stuff. And you're right, they don't release a glorified expansion pack every year for $60.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Remember how the CoD devs had to come out and defend their game engine? Had to tell people how they added new reflections etc? I don't think any other dev did that. Least of which Valve who has done reflections in the water for how long?

Vesku

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2005
I have mixed feelings about CoD, it's basically one of those arcade shooters with the plastic UZIs but for your home console. It tends to get undeserved praise in reviews from the usual suspect sites with the accompanying site wide advertising for the game itself. It's also leading the charge to the consolization of PC gaming.

But, when the people who like CoD are playing it that means they aren't playing the online games I like.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
But, when the people who like CoD are playing it that means they aren't playing the online games I like.

Yep, I noticed that with Halo 4. One day there was a lot of people who you could tell were not that good so you had a chance. Next day I got dominated pretty badly because most of who is left playing are vets of the series.

hans030390

Diamond Member
Feb 3, 2005
I think the game looks a lot better in motion. At the very least, it fully utilizes my 120Hz monitor.