[G3D] Call Of Duty Black Ops II VGA Graphics performance

sontin

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2011
What do you expect from Call of Duty? It's a console franchise since the third one.

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
I heard some good things about Black Ops II earlier.Looks like they were probably rumors.

sontin

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2011
I don't know: No 60 fps cap, working(!) AA, disable of FXAA, FOV >= 90°.

Looks alright. Not every game needs graphics like Crysis 2.

Jaydip

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2010
Agreed and it will probably break all previous sales records too :D

Red Hawk

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2011
I had heard that BLOPS2 would be using DX11 effects; apparently not** At least there's a ***petent suite of options like ambient occlusion, MSAA, depth of field, field of view control and higher resolution textures** Not the best port, but not the worst either *coughMassEffect3cough*

Edit: Why in the world are asterisks replacing things in my post******?

tonyfreak215

Nov 21, 2008
The forums have been acting up** Yesterday I was IP banned for no reason, than 5 min later unbanned**

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
Skynet called,they want control of the forums**

This be the second thread i stumbled into where clicking a link gets me no where on chrome**

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Not every game needs graphics like Crysis 2.

That's fine but a 2012 $60 game shouldn't look like a 2006 PC game either.

BO2's graphics, particularly textures, are poor. The models are low-poly. The water looks awful. The colors and lighting feels generations outdated. The game looks 'flat'.

t6sp_2012_11_13_12_19_34_140.jpg

t6sp_2012_11_13_12_18_46_820.jpg

t6sp_2012_11_13_12_16_37_360.jpg

COD has been a joke for year** Can run that thing on an 8800GT/4850

Ironically, not!

They apparently added DX11 without any of the real DX11 graphical features. The end result as is often the case with DX11, a full generational performance hit compared to DX9/10 with little to no improvement in visuals.

Based on the graphics, you'd think a $500 GPU would be getting 150-200 fps in this game.

bo%202%201920.png

bo%202%202560.png

The good thing about COD's simplistic world/low poly models/textures is that it lets us more clearly compare MSAA to TXAA:

8xMSAA
MAX%208XMSAA.jpg

4xTXAA (aka blur city)
MAX%204X%20TXAA.jpg

And we thought FXAA/MLAA were a step back from MSAA. TXAA is like using a wrong set of prescription glasses.

"Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 GAMEPLAY" - Extended Footage Mission 1

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2009
And the lame media crew, same old, lavish praises on it... seriously, 8/10 (gamespot) for this crap?? And they had the balls to crap all over MOH? This is worse.

DiogoDX

Oct 11, 2012
Terrible blur with TXAA. I do not know what Nvidia was thinking but this filter is not improving image quality.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Tha
Ironically, not!

They apparently added DX11 without any of the real DX11 graphical features. The end result as is often the case with DX11, a full generational performance hit compared to DX9/10 with little to no improvement in visuals.

Based on the graphics, you'd think a $500 GPU would be getting 150-200 fps in this game.

bo%202%201920.png

bo%202%202560.png

And we thought FXAA/MLAA were a step back from MSAA. TXAA is like using a wrong set of prescription glasses.

"Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 GAMEPLAY" - Extended Footage Mission 1

LOL, performance is a joke, look at that! Guess they thought they could compete with BF3's epic visuals by just matching the performance demands, without the visuals....

f1sherman

Platinum Member
Apr 5, 2011
And the lame media crew, same old, lavish praises on it... seriously, 8/10 (gamespot) for this crap?? And they had the balls to crap all over MOH? This is worse.

Yes, and the strategic thinkers from that other game, better known an COD With Vehicles, are already in full force swarming metacritic.com with their motorically challenged perspectives,
err... I mean _strategic_thoughts.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Guess they thought they could compete with BF3's epic visuals by just matching the performance demands, without the visuals....

I guess they thought if they put DX11 on the box, PC gamers would be dumb enough to believe them? No dedicated servers.

2007 COD4: MW1
cod4-pic1.jpg

2012 COD : BO2
t6sp_2012_11_13_12_14_06_465.jpg

5 years later. :rolleyes:

skipsneeky2

Diamond Member
May 21, 2011
I guess they thought if they put DX11 on the box, PC gamers would be dumb enough to believe them? No dedicated servers.

2007 COD4: MW1
cod4-pic1.jpg

2012 COD : BO2
t6sp_2012_11_13_12_14_06_465.jpg

5 years later. :rolleyes:

COD4 i believe was maybe the last COD that really counted as a non port,look how much worst and washed out BO2 looks versus COD4....

I still want to buy COD4 as i did enjoy the demo and after playing BF2,playing that demo did make for a breath of fresh air graphics wise,the fps i got sucked into for multiplayer after BF2 ended up being BC2 but COD4 for the time did impress me.

What happened between COD4 and BO2?

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Well you be the judge :whiste:

I think the "computer" in the title is inclusive of all platforms (PS3, 360, Wii U and PC). I am pretty sure the reference to 8 million copies is not the PC alone. Also, that's nothing to be proud off when modern gamers want to buy scripted, linear, hand-holding, short campaign FPS games, with health regeneration, guns that sound plasticky, graphics from 5+ years ago, and multiplayer arena filled with twitchy 12-13 year noobs using the "N" word and swearing all the time.

Games like Dishonored (0.75M units) and Witcher 2 (0.53M units) barely sold on the Xbox 360 but BO2 will sell 15 million+. If that's not a sad state of what types of games modern generation of gamers like, I don't know what is.

What happened between COD4 and BO2?

COD4:MW1 was re-skinned every 12 months and the expansion was sold for $100 with DLCs as a brand new game.

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

Headline "Call of Duty: Black Ops II set to become best selling computer game of all time"

Picture shows a kid buying it for Xbox 360. I don't know what they're saying.

Also the other kid spends 6 days camped out to get it. No school, work, or girlfriend eh?

I am hoping that on the next consoles they will attempt to sell yet again the same engine and it will backfire. Hopefully there are some demos put out there that explain "This is what your game should look like. Not like this <insert game video from CoD>" Then maybe, just maybe, all this stupidity will go away.

Oh and do I see negative SLI scaling when moving from a GTX 680 to a GTX 690? Ridiculous.

Last edited:

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
Then maybe, just maybe, all this stupidity will go away.

Nah it won't happen. It'll get worse. Success of COD means even more developers will now want to copy the formula. MOH franchise is already ruined because of COH but it didn't sell well. I wouldn't be surprised if MOH is scrapped and there are going to be annual installments of BF. Crytek is already saying their next FPS games will be free to play. The entire FPS industry almost is moving fully into multi-player and micro-transactions/DLC space. DLC was basically started by COD. Not only did COD ruin the FPS genre by dumbing it down, but it helped to introduce a DLC-milking gaming model, by making DLCs a standard practice.

What's happening right now is the culture clash of gamers who grew up gaming in the 80s and 90s and a new generation of young gamers who never played games from the early beginning. The game studios now cater to the lowest common denominator - and COD is the epitome of what types of games the majority of FPS gamers must want today.

Look how many other games are being dumbed-down to suit the masses - Resident Evil 6, upcoming Devil May Cry game, Final Fantasy has been ruined, Diablo 3, etc.

DiogoDX

Oct 11, 2012
Nah it won't happen. It'll get worse. Success of COD means even more developers will now want to copy the formula. MOH franchise is already ruined because of COH but it didn't sell well. I wouldn't be surprised if MOH is scrapped and there are going to be annual installments of BF. Crytek is already saying their next FPS games will be free to play. The entire FPS industry almost is moving fully into multi-player and micro-transactions/DLC space. DLC was basically started by COD. Not only did COD ruin the FPS genre by dumbing it down, but it helped to introduce a DLC-milking gaming model, by making DLCs a standard practice.

What's happening right now is the culture clash of gamers who grew up gaming in the 80s and 90s and a new generation of young gamers who never played games from the early beginning. The game studios now cater to the lowest common denominator - and COD is the epitome of what types of games the majority of FPS gamers must want today.

Look how many other games are being dumbed-down to suit the masses - Resident Evil 6, upcoming Devil May Cry game, Final Fantasy has been ruined, Diablo 3, etc.
That kickstarter save us all. Amen.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001

My first taste of dumbing down a game cause people cried was Ninja Gaiden on the original Xbox. It was brutally hard on Normal before, then Ninja Gaiden black came out and made the game easier and even had what I'd call a baby mode where you could die many times and then get the easier mode.

Thankfully Rockstar has been largely unaffected by the change in strategy of many publishers.

Last edited:

Greenlepricon

Aug 1, 2012
I remember call of duty 2 was the first shooter that I really got into way back in high school. At the time I loved that game. Played the third installment and it was pretty decent. Modern Warfare 1 was a nice change (not mechanics, but equipment, weapons, etc.), and then BO 1 was a complete waste of money. Now looking back I'm glad that's as many as I bought. Saved myself potentially a couple hundred dollars and hours of my time. I hate the number of shooters I ignore just because they look exactly like the CoD or Battlefield series. What's even worse is the degree that my friends play these games. I love games like Battlefield (which hopefully doesn't pump out yearly installments now too), but it seems as if there are only a few original shooters scheduled. Games like Bioshock are the ones I'm most excited for, but they don't have the more "realistic" elements of these other games, despite being far more enjoyable. There really aren't many mainstream fps games that I can enjoy anymore. I mean if they aren't original the LEAST they can do is send it out with better graphics.