FYI: Don't delete stuff off a server unless you REALLY want to

Status
Not open for further replies.

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
User: i was deleting stuff off the drive and realized after that i need some of the stuff. can it be restored?

Me: Where was the stuff located?

User: It was on the network server (user provides full path)

Me: Lemme check something (.. check server... no ShadowCopy on the server)

Me: I'm going to have to send this info over to the storage admins, to see if it can be restored. Depending on when the drive was last backed up, you might lose some stuff. Most Drives are backed up at 12:00 (noon & Midnight) daily.

User: Oh my.. well.. when can i get this stuff back? I need it for a report tomorrow

Me: well the admin's don't come back into the office untill tomorrow morning.. and depending on how the drive is backed up, they might get it tomorrow, or it might take a few days.

User: This isn't good. My boss is going to kill me, is there any way to do it faster?

Me: Get an email request from your department VP requesting an emergency restore. Then i can contact the storage group to try to get it rushed.

User: my vp?? but the report is for him. i cant let him know i deleted the files for his report...

Me: Sorry.

:rolleyes:

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
Somehow this will get blamed on IT. Everyone knows this.

Well, TBH, i dont know why the server admin didn't turn on ShadowCopy. It's a standard Windows File Server.. so there's no reason (unless it's a Legal issue.. but this isn't a Legal Share Drive) not to have ShadowCopy enabled.

Gunbuster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
"user provides full path" thats about a thousand times better than most of the people I deal with.

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000

;) not my fault.

The offsite storage company we use has a 24hr SLA for restores.
It "can" be done faster, but apparently they charge us alot of money to do this, thus it requires "signing level" approval ie: VP or higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.